Post from Christopher's

6,776 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bad Poster
oldag76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A note from Christopher:

I normally wouldn't comment on rumors going around but the rumors have reached a fever pitch with calls to our restaurant and questions from our loyal customers.

Someone out there is perpetuating the unfounded and untrue rumor that Christopher's World Grille will be closing soon. There is zero truth to this rumor. I have an experienced, committed staff that is dedicated to making a great dining experience for you for many years to come. Our hearts are fully dedicated to this goal.

We have navigated through years of COVID and we continued to navigate through COVID related after shocks in a challenging economic period in a post-COVID America and we will continue to do that.

I would like to elicit your help. If you hear a rumor that we are closing, would you please inform them that you heard directly from Christopher that Christopher's is NOT closing. If you hear anyone spreading this rumor, they have not talked to me and have no Insight to actual discussions within my business.

Thank you so much for all your continued support for many years to come.

Yours,
Christopher Lampo
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Huh. I never even saw that rumor pop up in the Coming and Going thread or any of the local FB groups I follow.

I'd be shocked to see Christopher's close for any reason other than him wanting to retire and reluctance to allow anyone else to continue to operate under his name.
EliteElectric
Never underestimate a competitor's ability to start and spread vicious rumors.

In late December 2022 I was diagnosed with a spinal condition that caused my spinal chord to be flattened C2-C5 and required one heck of a surgery to intervene and correct. Surgery was performed in April 2023, and went as good as we could hope for and the recovery and rehab began in earnest.

"Rumor" was I had terminal cancer and was shutting the doors. Those "rumors" caused myself, my staff and family to daily have to address those rumors. I answered enough emails and phone calls that I put out a public statement to address them, it was only then that the rumors stopped.

'A Lie Is Halfway Round the World Before the Truth Has Got Its Boots On'
techno-ag
AG

I heard from Chris directly that his restaurant is NOT closing.
Bucketrunner
It's a treasure
Tibbers
Let's just hope it's not a treasure only in folks' minds. It's wonderful but how long has it been since people have frequented it?
woodiewood
EliteElectric said:

Never underestimate a competitor's ability to start and spread vicious rumors.

In late December 2022 I was diagnosed with a spinal condition that caused my spinal chord to be flattened C2-C5 and required one heck of a surgery to intervene and correct. Surgery was performed in April 2023, and went as good as we could hope for and the recovery and rehab began in earnest.

"Rumor" was I had terminal cancer and was shutting the doors. Those "rumors" caused myself, my staff and family to daily have to address those rumors. I answered enough emails and phone calls that I put out a public statement to address them, it was only then that the rumors stopped.

'A Lie Is Halfway Round the World Before the Truth Has Got Its Boots On'
Yep. The internet is very scary to small business operators. A competitor with family and friends or a disgrunted former employee who put out lies and can damage a business greatly.

Based on Christopher's comment, the person who started the rumor just plain lied.

Another Doug
AG
Before Christophers opened fine dining in B/CS was The Texan. IMO, the best upgrade this area has ever seen.
Buford T. Justice
AG
The Texan, and its ambiance and menu, were awesome! But yes, the arrival of Christopher's was revolutionary.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
Azeew
You got it. Thank you for clearing that up. Christopher's is awesome!
Azeew
[You are not going to post like that on this board and you have been banned for that type of posting before. -Staff]
TorcanoAG2004
AG
You are an institution in our community, and I'm glad you will continue to provide a world class dining experience. Thank you for your post and I'll be visiting you soon.
Sleepnumber
AG
TorcanoAG2004 said:

You are an institution in our community, and I'm glad you will continue to provide a world class dining experience. Thank you for your post and I'll be visiting you soon.
Yes, but PLEASE change the menu from time to time.
MiMi
S
Christopher's filled a much needed fine dining niche when they first opened. As a TAMU faculty member that served or chaired on many faculty search committees, Christopher's was always on our list to take candidates ( I'm now retired). As a faculty candidate myself, in 1990, I was taken to Cenare's (twice) and Cafe Eccell for my interview dinners. They were the only finer dining available at the time. I was also taken to Tom's BBQ and Fajita Rita's (I was living in upstate New York at the time and they wanted me to get to know the local culture).
My husband and I have celebrated many special occasions at Christopher's. I wish them well in the face of some outstanding competition.
Tumble Weed
Still my favorite place in town. The food is excellent and the service is professional.

Most importantly, it is quiet enough that I can enjoy a conversation with my wife.
Tibbers
When was the last time you all went?
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Tibbers said:

I went twice in December, and both experiences were as good as ever.
Tumble Weed
Tibbers said:

Last week. No reservation. Seated immediately.
texAZtea
AG
If I have to drive an hour there and an hour back, the food and service had better be an order of magnitude more incredible than what I can get within 15 minutes of my house.

I'm younger than most of y'all but I've eaten at upscale restaurants in Houston, Dallas, NYC, and other cities and I can't say that anything I've had would warrant an hour plus drive over when I've eaten at Christopher's unless there was a special occasion for which we were planning on spending the night.
oldag76
AG
Tibbers said:

Let's just hope it's not a treasure only in folks' minds. It's wonderful but how long has it been since people have frequented it?

SATURDAY in our case!
australopithecus robustus
Heck I'll book a dinner sometime soon with the wife and see how it is. It's been a while.
AggiePhil
AG
Be advised they nickel and dime you for every little thing now. Even the table bread costs extra.
AggiePhil said:

Be advised they nickel and dime you for every little thing now. Even the table bread costs extra.

This whole thing is about VALUE more than COST if you know what I mean. We'll see how it stacks up.
Rex Racer
AG
Tibbers said:

December 12

I live near there and the parking lot is full quite often. I don't think they are hurting. No parking issues at Christopher's. No A&M employees taking up all of the spaces!
Broncos
AggiePhil said:

You're complaining about being charged a few dollars for bread but advocating driving to Houston for a premium meal experience. Kind of ironic.

Christopher's, Primrose Path, and Republic all consistently put out great food. I'd even add Ronin and 1860 to high quality options in town.
Burn-It
AG
When we moved here last year, we went to CWG every week. We got to know the bar staff pretty well. We took visiting friends & family on a regular basis.

After a few months, food quality started slipping & liquor prices went through the roof.

A night out for 2 of us was typically $400 before tip. The bartenders warned that our regular bourbon almost tripled in price, like $30 for a single Knobb Creek.

We haven't been in several months & probably won't unless we hear something changes for the better.
AKA 13-0
maroon barchetta
Wife and I went last Saturday evening. Had a 5:30pm reservation so it wasn't packed yet and we sat on a somewhat secluded two-top near the kitchen.

It was cozy and off the main dining room.

There were a bunch of tables put together near the kitchen for a party of at least 20, maybe more, and they arrived after we finished our meal, so it wasn't very loud while we ate.

My wife had the redfish special and it was fantastic. I had the crab cakes and they were great as always.

The cocktail my wife had was better than she had been served elsewhere.

We had trouble deciding on a dessert but ordered the hazelnut cake which is a huge slice that two people aren't going to finish and is definitely going home with you.

The server had two cannolis added to our order and comped since we leaned hard towards ordering those and then ended up going with the cake.

It was a very good experience last weekend.
CN
Sleepnumber said:

Yes, but PLEASE change the menu from time to time.
That's why we stopped going years ago. One of our favorite restaurants in town had the same problem until they eventually closed. Cafe Eccell had the opposite problem in that they'd take our favorite items off the menu.
Restaurants should always update and reinvent themselves. Conversely they don't seem to take items off of menus unless they don't sell or become cost prohibitive from industry pressures.
FlyRod
Reinvention is fine unless it's moving backwards. The steep decline of Veritas to Solt is Exhibit A.

But yes it's a sound idea in principle.
PS3D
MyNameIsJeff said:

Huh. I never even saw that rumor pop up in the Coming and Going thread or any of the local FB groups I follow.

I'd be shocked to see Christopher's close for any reason other than him wanting to retire and reluctance to allow anyone else to continue to operate under his name.
Yeah. "Rumors have reached a fever pitch"...when no one seems to have heard of it before?
Bad Poster
Christopher's house filet was maybe the first time i said "oh my god" when I ate it. I tried to create at home and it was a disaster. It's the only place ill order a filet in town now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.