Flock License Plate Cameras

4,292 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by BCSWguru
BrazosWifi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Recently, I noticed a Flock license plate camera on FM 158 near Kroger.

I have concerns about these cameras and the inevitable misuse of the data.
Who paid to put these up and who authorized it?
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
Bucketrunner
I've interested in knowing that as well. Listening in by cell tower is illegal enough.
oldag76
AG
No knowledge of that one but I can say that since they were installed at all entrances and exits of Traditions I have not heard of another burglary.
TChaney
I'm pretty sure plate scanners are all over BCS. On Broadcastify.com streams I have heard officers asking dispatch if certain plates have been through different intersections after major incidents.
FamousAgg
I agree flock those cameras
doubledog
Does it work with paper "temporary" plates, because that is the most abused form of licenses.

davido
AG
Nope. Just in us regular folks.
Hornbeck
Note to self: James Bond switcheroo plates if I want to do something nefarious.
befitter
Our very small neighborhood(primarily vacation rentals) in Galveston uses them due to a rash of burglaries a few years ago. If something occurs on our street we can ask for the data for that time period to see what vehicles went in or out. Since we got this system the burglaries ended.
doubledog
Hornbeck said:

If your plate is covered with mud, will you get a ticket or a warning? Asking for a friend.
Dufflepud
Just ride a horse.
AgGunNut
AG
All four main LE agencies in Brazos County use LPR cameras in various setups like this. The in-car video system used by CSPD even does it on the move. Some tow companies even use them to locate repo vehicles. LE agencies can also access the aggregate data from commercial scanning done by entities like the tow companies. It's proven very beneficial in investigations for several years now.
Stucco
Just because LE use the products doesn't mean govt should be granting permits to private corporations to attach cameras to public infrastructure.
AgGunNut
AG
I don't believe I insinuated as such, and if it came across that way, apologies.

That being said, you might have some misplaced assertions on the specific device in question and how they are used in general.

If the device is on public property, it's most likely owned by one of the LE agencies.

With regard to government permitting, that's really not even a thing. If a private entity (tow company, HOA, etc) wants one, they buy it. The images it collects are for their local database, usually managed by the device's manufacturer (i.e. Flock). For example, a tow company would have to enter specific LPs they are looking for (repos), and they would only be notified of those plates. It's really no different than someone standing at a specific spot and using a camera to take a photo of every car that drives by. It's been well established by courts for years that visible LP numbers are public information. No private entities are getting any sort of info restricted for government use. The private entities can share the aggregate data to LE users, who would have access to more restricted information like registered owners, if the vehicle is entered into state and national databases as stolen, etc. There is no big conspiracy, just a simple concept extrapolated exponentially using technology.

Stucco
I really hope I misunderstand the situation. Those private entities can share/sell the aggregate info with anyone, not just LE, right?
AgGunNut
AG
LE can have contracts with the vendors (i.e. Flock) to get the aggregate commercial data. As the data is merged with LE-restricted databases, that's where anything sensitive would come into play.

I have no idea if other commercial entities can purchase the info from other commercial entities. Either way, they're not getting any sort of sensitive, non-public information. It's essentially a database of photos and license plate numbers.
Stucco
I think travel patterns are fairly sensitive information too.
This is an interesting recent read.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2024/02/27/flock-safety-surveillance-broke-state-law/?sh=60786282a8f0
AgGunNut
AG
Not subscribing to read it, but I'm sure it has you concerned. It does not concern me. We disagree on the topic. In the end, I'd be much more concerned with the many of types of aggregate data available to large corporations based on information we willingly provide everyday.
WolfCall
AG
doubledog said:

Hornbeck said:

If your plate is covered with mud, will you get a ticket or a warning? Asking for a friend.
Ticket, and unreadable plates gives law enforcement a legit reason to pull you over - not a good thing if you've been drinking, have weed, an illegal firearm and/or something else wrong like expired inspection sticker, broken taillight, forgot to signal before initiating a turn.

Note to self: don't do the crime.
davido
AG
https://publiclawlibrary.org/flock-safety-faces-legal-trouble-as-ai-powered-license-plate-readers-violate-state-laws-putting-driver-safety-at-risk/
cslifer
I wouldn't exactly call that article damning, it appears that in some states they didn't get the proper permits from the highway department and ended too close to the roadway. If that is the biggest legal concern that can be found I would say they are good to go.
AgGunNut
AG
I'd argue this is more of an issue of state govt/local govt not de conflicting ahead of time before camera installment. Flock was following the direction given to them by the governmental agency they contracted with. And once again, the data collected has no bearing on privacy issues for private entities using them. The article was specific to governmental agencies misplacement of the specific device. The permitting requirements they are accused of violating have little to do with privacy issues and much more to do with public safety in regard to the physical device falling from where it is installed.
aneisch
AG
I noticed that one of these went up in front of chick fil a aimed at the turn in to the Lowe's shopping center from the highway 6 frontage road.
BCSWguru
would be a shame if someone pulled a London climate cam on them
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.