472nd District Court Judge [Temp lock for review]

9,298 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Antoninus
jwise
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Other than the three names who I said have not endorsed me, the rest have given me their endorsement. So I don't understand how there could be a "disconnect."

Trust me, if all of my supporter were in the same room, there would be a knife fight!

I've got a broad base of supporters.
-------------- J. Wise
jwise
"As I cogitate on the substance of your otherwise quality response, I am distracted by the potential appearance of some sort of back handed jab in your closing remark. Is there a good reason to single-out a candidate's family in any way in your closing argument in a public forum?

Both sets of families were defended and declared off limits earlier in the thread, yet you declined to reciprocate that courtesy in the close-out to answering a fair question.

This is Texags so some people choose to rant, but the intention of this thread was clearly meant to hasten civil discussion. Subtle low blows in any context are not a good look."

No, that is in no way a jab. Corps block voted an a unified voting block. Nothing untoward about it. It just is what it is! My apologies if it came across as a negative comment. And this has nothing to do with her family at all. I've enjoyed getting to know her husband at various events.
-------------- J. Wise
jwise
cslifer said:

I have to be honest, if the Bryan mayor is endorsing him that tells me everything I need to know. I am out.
Whose endorsement would you respect? Paul Rieger? Jeff Murski? Russ Ford?

I'm genuinely curious.
-------------- J. Wise
cslifer
I am not looking at the endorsement from a positive side, I am looking at at from the position of I wouldn't vote for the Bryan mayor so I am dang sure not voting for anyone he endorsed.
AgLaw09
jwise said:

Trust me, if all of my supporter were in the same room, there would be a knife fight!

To be honest, I've only been passively following this race but that comment doesn't come across as something someone running for judicial bench should be saying. That you're posting while at a conference does raise some questions about your decision making.
cslifer
Are the taxpayers paying for this conference that he is ignoring and posting political stuff from?
jwj
So if the Bryan mayor endorsed your preferred presidential candidate you would switch your vote? Right Just so no question I support Wise
jim james
cslifer
Good for you I guess…? Kind of an odd post comparing the president to a local race.
A local mayor obviously doesn't know a presidential candidate so his endorsement means nothing. The local mayor endorsing a local candidate means they likely know each other or have interacted in some sort, and if the candidate is "his kind of guy" then I am out.
ZoneClubber
AG
Or perhaps the Bryan mayor would be very familiar with his performance as a municipal Judge for the City of Bryan and it's based on merit.

Those of us with actual cases and clients in front of Judge Wise (despite some adverse rulings ) are recommending and endorsing the sitting District Judge.

I commend him and Bob Yancy for engaging on this forum despite some of the anonymous vitriol they have to endure in doing so.
cslifer
Strange how he didn't address this board when he was being called out for issues with the economic council and the associated cattle "lease". When did the Bryan mayor actually address this board?
ZoneClubber
AG
cslifer said:

Strange how he didn't address this board when he was being called out for issues with the economic council and the associated cattle "lease". When did the Bryan mayor actually address this board?

I'm referencing Judge Wise and Bob Yancy
cslifer
Gotcha.
That being said, when you accept an endorsement you are hitching your wagon to the the good AND the bad the person brings. That being said, wise had hitched his wagon to a person I would never vote for. He has also been apparently posting political stuff from a conference that we are paying for with taxpayer dollars which is obviously not ok. For those reasons I am out.
rockelle
Many people posting on here do so at work taking very little time to scratch out a few sentences. Seems a little dramatic to criticize for posting during a conference which usually entails listening to speakers and tons of free time.
Some of y'all's agendas are crystal clear. We get it. Move on
A Net Full of Jello
AG
As I have researched Judge Wise and Jennifer Hebert, I have come away with the impression that they are both good people who would each do a fine job. Sadly, in this day, that isn't always the case. They also both appear to have run campaigns based on their own merit rather than trying to tear down the other. Again, not always (or even usually) the case. This race has been a refreshing one when compared to other races where one or both candidates seem to be running on the platform of "Vote for me because the other guy murders puppies." I'd like to commend both Wise and Hebert for running campaigns of integrity.

I feel I need to add, this is not saying that all the other candidates are simply trashing their opponents. I have seen current races where candidates are doing an excellent job of touting their own merits. However, this is the only one I've seen where BOTH (or all) candidates are running on their merits rather than telling us why we should not vote for their opponent.
FarmerKeith
AG
Blue Star for "A Net Full of Jello"
Antoninus
A Net Full of Jello said:

I feel I need to add, this is not saying that all the other candidates are simply trashing their opponents. I have seen current races where candidates are doing an excellent job of touting their own merits. However, this is the only one I've seen where BOTH (or all) candidates are running on their merits rather than telling us why we should not vote for their opponent.
FWIW, good people do not always make good judges. Brilliant lawyers do not always make good judges. The skillset that creates a good judge contains as many intangible as tangible elements.

I have always thought it a poor idea to replace an experienced, competent jurist, for no particular reason. Why? Even if the most-wonderful, most-intelligent ", best-intentioned person on the planet is running against him, you never know how that person will turn out on the bench. And you are stuck with them for four years.

for a position as important as a judgeship, the maxim of "better safe than sorry" deserves some serious consideration.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.