House District 14

4,266 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by EBrazosAg
Its Not Rocket Surgery
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just a week before primary early voting starts and there isn't a thread on this race. Please keep the discussion civil and don't get the thread locked.

Candidates are:

Paul Dyson
Campaign website: https://dysonfortexas.com/

KBTX Interview: https://www.kbtx.com/2024/02/11/meet-candidate-paul-dyson-texas-house-district-14/


Rick Davis
Campaign website: https://electrickdavis.com/

KBTX Interview: https://www.kbtx.com/2024/02/09/meet-candidate-rick-davis-texas-house-district-14/
AggieCVQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Both seem like stock conservatives. No offense to either of these dudes but is the only difference endorsements?
cslifer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Look up Mr. Davis's history when he was a judge…
Tibbers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rick Davis will not be getting my vote ever. Not a fan of the guy at all. In my opinion, that guy should have zero access to any meaningful sense of power over anyone other than himself.
AggieCVQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Part of the point of the thread was to be constructive. Can you provide concrete examples? Trying to get insight for my vote.
A Net Full of Jello
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like Paul Dyson here. His stances on the second amendment, border security, and education are what I'm looking for. I also like his ideas on permanent property tax relief. Rick Davis has said and done some questionable things in the past that already had me not wanting to vote for him so when I read about Paul Dyson and he seemed to align well with my views, I was happy to know there was someone I could vote FOR rather than only voting against the other candidate.
taxpreparer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieCVQ said:

Both seem like stock conservatives. No offense to either of these dudes but is the only difference endorsements?


Here is the thing about endorsements; they really do not tell you much. Flores is also endorsing Nancy Berry, who is not very conservative. I like Flores and would probably vote for Dyson if I was in his district.
I would not support Berry for dogcatcher.

Edit because I realized I am in District 12, and cannot vote for either Dyson or Davis.
befitter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would literally vote for anyone running against Davis.

Dyson it is.
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cslifer said:

Look up Mr. Davis's history when he was a judge…
https://www.law.com/texaslawyer/almID/1202426031717/

Maybe this will help....
A Net Full of Jello
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

The Commission found that in his dealings with Ms. Cass, Judge Davis had not been dignified, patient or courteous, in violation of Canon 3B(4) of the Code of Judicial Conduct.


Quote:

This letter asserts the judge's presumed biblical authority for his decision-making and characterizes the district attorney's criticism of him as mockery:
"Do you not know that I anguish in prayer before God over many of my decisions? By mocking them, you invade God and my relationship, and it is as if you have defecated on Mt. Sinai, holy ground."

Quote:

Indeed, after reviewing all of the evidence presented, we are convinced that Judge Davis embarked on a personal vendetta to destroy the reputation of a young prosecutor who we find was not guilty of any misconduct. This is a perversion of the trial judge's time-honored role to mentor young attorneys who practice before his court.

Quote:

Canon 2A provides that a judge "shall comply with the law and should act at all times in a manner that promotes public confidence in the integrity and impartiality of the judiciary." Tex.Code Jud. Conduct, Canon 2A. Canon 4A(1) provides that a judge's extra-judicial activities shall not "cast reasonable doubt on the judge's capacity to act impartially as a judge." Id., Canon 4A(1). The tenor and substance of Judge Davis's ill-advised letters following the events in his courtroom on April 24, 2001, did not promote public confidence in this judge's integrity.


https://caselaw.findlaw.com/court/tx-special-court-of-review/1242728.html
Anna Molly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw on Dyson's website that he will have a campaign rally with Governor Abbott at Pebble Creek Country Club Tuesday 2/13, 5:15 - 7:30 PM.
AggieCVQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fantastic. Thank you very much sir.
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Psst, it's ma'am
Tibbers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ah, so your username is not just a clever title then.
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's a nickname someone stuck me with at 17 and well, it's quite fitting.
A Net Full of Jello
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieCVQ said:

Fantastic. Thank you very much sir.

Trouble is right that I'm a ma'am. A net full of jello works on two levels. I'm a big Annette Funicello fan and if you say my username fast, it sounds like Annette Funicello. I'm also a fan of Walt Disney World and they have a nod to Annette in the pre-show area of Muppet Vision 3D that is a literal net full of jello.

And now your know the rest of the story.
AggieCVQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well thank you then ma'am and appreciate the backstory.
oldag76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Here is the thing about endorsements; they really do not tell you much. Flores is also endorsing Nancy Berry, who is not very conservative. I like Flores and would probably vote for Dyson if I was in his district.

I would not support Berry for dogcatcher."

Totally agree on Berry. Her personal attacks on Aldrich and Ford turned out to be FALSE, apparently she is not good at Math. Claiming that the county would not be able to hire and fill positions and budget would not get funded was totally false. Tax rolls times the high rate produced a $20 million excess on top of the existing excess they refused to spend. Imagine actually selling some bonds when rates were < 5% and getting roads built now instead of waiting to crack the piggy bank years later. Clearly the Judge and Berry don't travel the roads in South Brazos County.
If the Judge and his cronies can oust Aldrich they might as well just hold closed door meetings because the ramrod of more bad decisions will be felt. If we can hold onto him and add Fred Brown, maybe some work will get done!
Anna Molly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This thread derailed a bit into backstories (humorous and welcome) and county commissioner races. I read the linked articles about Davis and I've heard some of his commercials. Disputes election integrity (everywhere except HD 14), wants to eliminate property taxes and replace with "something else" and (appears to) support vouchers for public school education.

Governor Abbott is all in on educational savings accounts and has endorsed and campaigned with the other HD 14 candidate, Paul Dyson. And yet, Raney has also endorsed Dyson.

Both candidates have strong ties to this area and could represent it well. Based on radio ads, both want to do away with property taxes. And yet I get a different…feel? vibe? from each.

What say you, TexAgs? County Commissioner and DA impact our daily life, for sure. State representative also has a huge impact.
Buford T. Justice
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I never understand why the folks running for representative always tell you what they support.
If I were running for the position, I would run on, "I want to represent you. I'm listening, tell me what's important to you."
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
threecatcorner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
All the ads I see on TV are for Paul Dyson and Ben Bius. I haven't seen any for their opponents.

Actually, I remember seeing one more local political ad recently. It was for Jarvis Parsons.

In all cases, it's just ads for one candidate.

I can't remember if it's Dyson or Bius, but one of them talks about how he's going to "take Texas back from the Austin swamp" or something like that.

Bius and Dyson's ads just blur together. They're not running against each other. I think one is running to replace Raney (who's retiring) and the other is running to replace Kacal (is he also retiring?).
threecatcorner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Buford T. Justice said:

I never understand why the folks running for representative always tell you what they support.
If I were running for the position, I would run on, "I want to represent you. I'm listening, tell me what's important to you."
That would be a refreshing change of pace.
Mr.Short-termMemory
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
threecatcorner said:

……..the other is running to replace Kacal (is he also retiring?).


Kacal is not running for re-election.
Mr.Short-termMemory
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
threecatcorner said:

Buford T. Justice said:

I never understand why the folks running for representative always tell you what they support.
If I were running for the position, I would run on, "I want to represent you. I'm listening, tell me what's important to you."
That would be a refreshing change of pace.


While refreshing, its not practical. We elect representatives because we can't have an election in every decision to be made by a legislative body. We put trust in one person so we can go about our day to day lives while they make decisions in Austin and Washington.

What's "important to you" would be an impossible way to be a representative. Would that be based on a poll of the electorate on major issues? Minor issues? The squeaky wheel wins? What if the representative personally disagrees with what he's told is important?

The candidates explain to the electorate what they support so that IF a candidate supports what is important to the voters, they elect that candidate.
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
threecatcorner said:

All the ads I see on TV are for Paul Dyson and Ben Bius. I haven't seen any for their opponents.

Actually, I remember seeing one more local political ad recently. It was for Jarvis Parsons.

In all cases, it's just ads for one candidate.

I can't remember if it's Dyson or Bius, but one of them talks about how he's going to "take Texas back from the Austin swamp" or something like that.

Bius and Dyson's ads just blur together. They're not running against each other. I think one is running to replace Raney (who's retiring) and the other is running to replace Kacal (is he also retiring?).
John Harvey Slocum is also running lots of ads, and his are practically the same as Dyson's.
BCS-Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Buford T. Justice said:

I never understand why the folks running for representative always tell you what they support.
If I were running for the position, I would run on, "I want to represent you. I'm listening, tell me what's important to you."


I think it's because most voters don't want to dig deep on issues and would rather elect officials based on their values. This doesn't always work but I understand it, the elected official is in place to go deep on issues, some of which we don't even know will be an issue at election time. Most of what elected officials spend their time learning and voting on have very little to do with the splashy campaign issues.
Its Not Rocket Surgery
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got an invite to a lunch forum where both attended and managed to sneak over to Dyson's campaign rally. Both gentlemen are likable and cordial, but Dyson feels less like a politician and more like an outside voice for positive change. He's got my vote.
BluHorseShu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Its Not Rocket Surgery said:

I got an invite to a lunch forum where both attended and managed to sneak over to Dyson's campaign rally. Both gentlemen are likable and cordial, but Dyson feels less like a politician and more like an outside voice for positive change. He's got my vote.
Seems they all are carbon copies in their ads. "I will stop the invasion, I stand with President Trump, take back control".

No one offers anything of substance, they just pull the data on what the buzzwords of late for the vocal majority of their constituents and play that record. They know we have deep concerns about the border, I think they take a chance adding their kiss to Trumps ring, but honestly this is no different than any other election campaign in the last 30 years. And then we end up disappointed because "they said all the right buzzwords" but can't seem, to get anything of substance done.

Just seems they're repeating the identical things that every other R is running for election. Hard to find the distinguishing characters
Its Not Rocket Surgery
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BluHorseShu said:

Its Not Rocket Surgery said:

I got an invite to a lunch forum where both attended and managed to sneak over to Dyson's campaign rally. Both gentlemen are likable and cordial, but Dyson feels less like a politician and more like an outside voice for positive change. He's got my vote.
Seems they all are carbon copies in their ads. "I will stop the invasion, I stand with President Trump, take back control".

No one offers anything of substance, they just pull the data on what the buzzwords of late for the vocal majority of their constituents and play that record. They know we have deep concerns about the border, I think they take a chance adding their kiss to Trumps ring, but honestly this is no different than any other election campaign in the last 30 years. And then we end up disappointed because "they said all the right buzzwords" but can't seem, to get anything of substance done.

Just seems they're repeating the identical things that every other R is running for election. Hard to find the distinguishing characters



That could very well all be true, but you have yo take a chance on someone ans hope for the best. Won't know till they try.
oldag76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
halibut sinclair said:

threecatcorner said:

All the ads I see on TV are for Paul Dyson and Ben Bius. I haven't seen any for their opponents.

Actually, I remember seeing one more local political ad recently. It was for Jarvis Parsons.

In all cases, it's just ads for one candidate.

I can't remember if it's Dyson or Bius, but one of them talks about how he's going to "take Texas back from the Austin swamp" or something like that.

Bius and Dyson's ads just blur together. They're not running against each other. I think one is running to replace Raney (who's retiring) and the other is running to replace Kacal (is he also retiring?).
John Harvey Slocum is also running lots of ads, and his are practically the same as Dyson's.
Both retired. Raney had announced this would be his last term . Kacal, like Raney, bucked the Governor on the school vouchers for folks to go to private schools with taxpayer money and dilute funding to public schools. Governor running a vendetta on them and all others, a page from The AG Paxton playbook
Anna Molly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm not impressed with either candidate's ads. Looking at Dyson's ties to the community and experience on various boards and committees, he seems promising. That isn't clear from the mailers. Like others have said, it's all buzzwords: protect the unborn, endorsed by the NRA, border border border…yawn.

Rick Davis' past that was already linked here is an immediate No from me. He doesn't seem to have changed. His campaign materials are the above buzzwords + "I'm a lawyer with a bunch of kids and I'm Christian." Yippee. I'm Christian with a bunch of kids too.

I'm going to vote for Dyson, but I'm keeping expectations LOW.
EBrazosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good plan. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
vwbug
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is kacal going back to his job?
EBrazosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kacal district 12. Not 14.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.