Houston knows how to remove medians!

2,465 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by maroon barchetta
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Houston removing medians after only 2 months!

Quote:

Houston Public Works is reversing course on the concrete median and curbs it installed on Houston Avenue in December, electing instead to remove them after less than two months.
"Houston Public Works will begin improvements along Houston Avenue starting in early February," reads a Houston Public Works statement posted on X, formerly known as Twitter, by Axios reporter Jay R. Jordan.
"These improvements will include the removal of the concrete median and curbs on Houston Avenue that reduced lane capacity and restricted vehicles from turning into properties based on their direction of traffic. The project will effectively restore the roadway to the way it operated previously."

The statement says this decision will benefit drivers such as first responders and bus drivers and the department will embark on a new study to see what they can do to improve safety for non-drivers.
CHANGES AT CITY HALL: Head of Houston traffic, drainage operations resigns, sparking outcry in latest shakeup at City Hall
City Council Member for District H Mario Castillo posted Friday night on X that he disagrees with the decision to remove the median curbs.
"I do not support removing the improvements along Houston Ave. If something isn't working with the project, modify it, don't waste taxpayer money. District CMs need to be included in these decisions. I will be fighting to ensure safety improvements return to Houston Ave. quickly," Castillo wrote.
The decision, which was announced Friday afternoon, bookends a week that started Monday with a pick-up truck striking and killing a woman in downtown Houston and a public works leader resigning.
chickencoupe16
AG
That's shocking. I cannot imagine a city official willing to take so much egg on their face to reverse that decision but good for them.
dubi
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

That's shocking. I cannot imagine a city official willing to take so much egg on their face to reverse that decision but good for them.
Seems we have lots of egg on face for the Macy's boondoggle and no one cares.
PS3D
First, it's a city street (not TxDOT) and it reduced lane capacity because they've got people whispering nonsense like "road diets" into their ear.

Cities like Los Angeles have gone along with some of these crackpot plans and turn out to be wildly unpopular and get reverted. Sadly, most plans don't get reverted, try driving around in some of Austin's side streets.
maroon barchetta
dubi said:

chickencoupe16 said:

Careful…
Hornbeck
AG
Cue the "previous council" and "momentum" comments.
RafterAg223
AG
dubi said:

chickencoupe16 said:

No, they really don't appear to care, do they? The cavalier attitude from the city on the Macy's deal is infuriating. "Meh, it was probably not the smartest decision in the world to buy it, but we'll just wear the albatross and move down the road like it never happened." We can all rest assured that it won't be the last economically illiterate decision made by the brain trust at city hall either.

Go vote!!!!
doubledog
PS3D said:

First, it's a city street (not TxDOT) and it reduced lane capacity because they've got people whispering nonsense like "road diets" into their ear.

Cities like Los Angeles have gone along with some of these crackpot plans and turn out to be wildly unpopular and get reverted. Sadly, most plans don't get reverted, try driving around in some of Austin's side streets.
Yea but medians will work in BCS... TxDOT probably...
maroon barchetta
RafterAg223 said:

dubi said:

chickencoupe16 said:

No, they really don't appear to care, do they? The cavalier attitude from the city on the Macy's deal is infuriating. "Meh, it was probably not the smartest decision in the world to buy it, but we'll just wear the albatross and move down the road like it never happened." We can all rest assured that it won't be the last economically illiterate decision made by the brain trust at city hall either.

Go vote!!!!

And when they get sued for not handling their business at the mall, it's "well, those rules don't apply to us".

Completely tone deaf while blowing other people's money.
CS78
Good to see that it wasn't set in stone.
texAZtea
AG
CS78 said:

Good to see that it wasn't set in stone.
I see what you did there
The Brazos Kid
1. Build them.
2. Tear them out.
3. Repeat at a future date.
4. Profit.
KidDoc
AG
I've been here 8 years and it has been a constant cycle of "conservative" candidates turn into tax & spend council members once they win the election. It is very annoying.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
EliteElectric
The Brazos Kid said:

1. Build them.
2. Tear them out.
4. Profit.
Like the on/off ramps to Hwy 6?

Quote:

1. Build them.
2. Tear them out and rebuild them the same way they were before
4. Do Not Profit.

maroon barchetta
KidDoc said:

I've been here 8 years and it has been a constant cycle of "conservative" candidates turn into tax & spend council members once they win the election. It is very annoying.

And that's the problem I have with the puffing out of the bird chest saying "we saved money" before a project has broken ground and the school district continually asking for more bonds.

It never stops.

Ron Swanson is my ideal political candidate. Can you tell?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.