HUGE potholes on SB FM 2154

2,107 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by woodiewood1
75AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There are several potholes on SB FM 2154 (Wellborn Rd) between Duck Haven and Millican Reserve. Should these be reported to Brazos or Grimes County, or TxDOT? These things are huge, can and will cause damage.
maroon barchetta
75AG said:

There are several potholes on SB FM 2154 (Wellborn Rd) between Duck Haven and Millican Reserve. Should these be reported to Brazos or Grimes County, or TxDOT? These things are huge, can and will cause damage.

Not Grimes.

Start with the county. But they might punt to TXDOT.
75AG
AG
Thanks! I went to their website and reported it.
EBrazosAg
AG
Fitch between Carter Creek and 30 is a mess. CoCS seems unlikely to be motivated to fix until it starts breaking axles on their garbage trucks.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
maroon barchetta
EBrazosAg said:

Fitch between Carter Creek and 30 is a mess. CoCS seems unlikely to be motivated to fix until it starts breaking axles on their garbage trucks.

Is that theirs or the county's or TXDOT's?
Thisguy1
They were out there filling them the day we got 3" of rain. I don't know how that process works, but it seemed like an awfully strange day to be doing that.

They're already bad again, so whatever they were doing didn't work.
EBrazosAg
AG
CoCS is what TxDOT says. Remember that was built by the county - with a GC that is as I understand banned from state projects- then "donated" either to TxDOT or Cocs - I can't remember. But CoCS annexed the road and its ROW so their ETJ would be close enough to the Twin Oaks landfill property that Grimes county could not block the landfill. There was some saber rattling but eventually Grimes settled for a tipping fee agreement. AND the road is not a FM or a SH so it's CoCS problem.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
maroon barchetta
Oh. Gotcha.

This little project doesn't look like one that will get pats on the back so don't expect it to happen soon.
histag10
AG
Have seen 2 blowouts on OSR east of 6 in the past week or so. One pothole was so bad on one of those new bridges they put in that if there was oncoming traffic, you had to come to a complete stop and wait to be able to cross into the opposite lane to avoid damage to your vehicle.

They "filled" some of them this week, but they are already digging out again.

Gotta love the fact that we spent 3 years and God knows how much money for a road that is worse than it was before.
techno-ag
AG
histag10 said:

Have seen 2 blowouts on OSR east of 6 in the past week or so. One pothole was so bad on one of those new bridges they put in that if there was oncoming traffic, you had to come to a complete stop and wait to be able to cross into the opposite lane to avoid damage to your vehicle.

They "filled" some of them this week, but they are already digging out again.

Gotta love the fact that we spent 3 years and God knows how much money for a road that is worse than it was before.
The OSR repaving job was criminal it was so bad. There's either a lot of graft at TxDOT to allow such bad work on a state highway, or utter incompetence.
EBrazosAg
AG
Who was the GC on the project? That may explain a lot ….
nought
AG
techno-ag said:

The OSR repaving job was criminal it was so bad. There's either a lot of graft at TxDOT to allow such bad work on a state highway, or utter incompetence.

https://www.enworld.org/media/why-not-both-jpg.52474/full
histag10
AG
EBrazosAg said:

Knife River. We were surprised to see them down here. They are a north dakota/montana company that did a lot of the road work in Mt and ND when we lived there. Up there, road work pretty much has to be done inside of 6 months because of weather, so the roads are always *****
AgProgrammer
AG
It's a mess all the way to the Twin Oaks Landfill. Fitch to 30 and then 30 to the landfill has developed a ton of rapidly deteriorating holes after the big freeze and now the big rain last week. The weather combined with the constant flow of heavy garbage trucks is wreaking havoc on that whole stretch. We've been getting peppered with rocks non stop for the past several weeks because there are so many potholes just giving it up.
EMY92
AG
histag10 said:

EBrazosAg said:

Knife River. We were surprised to see them down here. They are a north dakota/montana company that did a lot of the road work in Mt and ND when we lived there. Up there, road work pretty much has to be done inside of 6 months because of weather, so the roads are always *****
Knife River bought FM Young out of Waco more than a few years ago. FM Young was a large company, but the Youngs had no children to leave the business to.
hopeandrealchange
AgProgrammer said:

It's a mess all the way to the Twin Oaks Landfill. Fitch to 30 and then 30 to the landfill has developed a ton of rapidly deteriorating holes after the big freeze and now the big rain last week. The weather combined with the constant flow of heavy garbage trucks is wreaking havoc on that whole stretch. We've been getting peppered with rocks non stop for the past several weeks because there are so many potholes just giving it up.

This is an interesting report on one of the three bridges.
NBI Report
NBI Bridge Condition Fair
Inspection Date (Inspection Frequency): May 2021 (Every 24 Months)
Structural Evaluation: 6: Equal to present minimum criteria
Deck Geometry 3: Basically intolerable requiring high priority of corrective action
Underclear/Vertical and Horizontal: N: Not applicable
Deck 5: FAIR CONDITION - all primary structural elements are sound but may have minor section loss, cracking, spalling or scour.
Superstructure 6: SATISFACTORY CONDITION - structural elements show some minor deterioration.
Substructure 6: SATISFACTORY CONDITION - structural elements show some minor deterioration.

https://data.news-press.com/bridge/texas/grimes/sh-30-over-navasota-river/48-170940021204014/
histag10
AG
EMY92 said:

histag10 said:

EBrazosAg said:

Knife River bought FM Young out of Waco more than a few years ago. FM Young was a large company, but the Youngs had no children to leave the business to.

Hmm. Weird. Until this past year, they were owned by Montana-Dakota Utilities. Looks like they came to Texas around 2002. I had no idea lol, guess I never really saw or noticed them until after we moved back, because we would see them EVERYWHERE up there.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
histag10 said:

EMY92 said:

histag10 said:

EBrazosAg said:

Hmm. Weird. Until this past year, they were owned by Montana-Dakota Utilities. Looks like they came to Texas around 2002. I had no idea lol, guess I never really saw or noticed them until after we moved back, because we would see them EVERYWHERE up there.
Knife River has had a presence here for at least a decade in road construction and concrete supply. Likely longer than that, that's just how long I've been here.

OSR is terrible. We drive it frequently. Is it just me, or did it get a lot worse since Christmas? My wife and I both pointed out how much worse it seemed in the last few weeks.
Ag97
AG
Maybe construction on OSR was split between 2 companies? I know when they first started it, Big Creek Construction was doing the work from Hwy 6 to at least the Wheelock cutoff. Not sure if Knife River had the contract closer towards Normangee?

I do know that Big Creek did the work on FM1179 a few years ago when the Obama era shovel ready infrastructure bill was passed. They did a horrible job. Road started developing massive pot holes within 6 months of completion. Road also started washing away down in the ditches because they made them so steep and had no soil that vegetation could grow on to stabilize it. Another company was hired to come in and fix it within a year.

Now all that being said, I was told that these companies all build to what ever is spec'd. It's the TXDOT or County engineer that tells them how to build it, monitors it while being worked on and and inspects it upon completion. If the government tells them they only need 4 inches of asphalt when in reality it needs 8, that is on the engineer for a bad design, so who knows who really is at fault?
histag10
AG
Every time it rains, the potholes get HORRIBLE. Then TxDot comes out and fills them. Wash, rinse, repeat.

We drive OSR daily (we live off of Dick Elliott). It's horrid.
woodiewood1
They are scheduledc to be filled in 2027 or 2028.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.