College Station taxpayer savings on Fire Station #7

4,799 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by SAC4311
harrierdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bob Yancy said:

doubledog said:

maroon barchetta said:

It's still costs too much for municipalities to build and it gnaws at me. I previously suggested we hire a city architect with a handful of staff to design our facilities of all types. You could invest in one heck of a design and engineering department for the money we pay and save taxpayer bosses a suitcase full of money in the process. I'm not done pursuing that idea.

I hope y'all agree.

Respectfully,

-yancy

It's still costs too much for municipalities to build and it gnaws at me. I previously suggested we hire a city architect with a handful of staff to design our facilities of all types. You could invest in one heck of a design and engineering department for the money we pay and save taxpayer bosses a suitcase full of money in the process. I'm not done pursuing that.

Respectfully,

-yancy

I would think it would be very difficult to have a staff of architects, engineers, etc… that could be expert or proficient enough at the various types of buildings and structures and geology to make this feasible. I'd see it either becoming a political position or a starter that would still have to be vetted through content specific experts.
Also, who would be held accountable for faulty engineering or plans? The city? There is some conflict of interest there I would think.
How do other communities our size and up to double our size handle these things?

Thanks.
saturn135
Your post is the most ignorant post I've seen on this forum. Our firefighters work 24 hours at a time. Do you not expect them to feed themselves during this time, especially during high caloric times of responding and extinguishing fires or responding to medical calls? Taxpayers do not pay for their food bill, they pay out of pocket each shift. The kitchens at the fire stations allow for meals to be prepared for 8-10 firefighters for three meals, each day. Maybe you should step out of your 9-5 job and experience a job that handles emergencies at 3am while you are cuddled in bed.
saturn135
edit
maroon barchetta
saturn135 said:

Your post is the most ignorant post I've seen on this forum. Our firefighters work 24 hours at a time. Do you not expect them to feed themselves during this time, especially during high caloric times of responding and extinguishing fires or responding to medical calls? Taxpayers do not pay for their food bill, they pay out of pocket each shift. The kitchens at the fire stations allow for meals to be prepared for 8-10 firefighters for three meals, each day. Maybe you should step out of your 9-5 job and experience a job that handles emergencies at 3am while you are cuddled in bed.

I expect that if taxpayers foot the bill for an incredible commercial-grade kitchen, they can make their own breakfast tacos in said kitchen.

Nowhere did I insinuate that taxpayers buy their food. Try some reading comprehension.
Stucco
harrierdoc said:

Bob Yancy said:

doubledog said:

maroon barchetta said:

It's still costs too much for municipalities to build and it gnaws at me. I previously suggested we hire a city architect with a handful of staff to design our facilities of all types. You could invest in one heck of a design and engineering department for the money we pay and save taxpayer bosses a suitcase full of money in the process. I'm not done pursuing that idea.

I hope y'all agree.

Respectfully,

-yancy

It's still costs too much for municipalities to build and it gnaws at me. I previously suggested we hire a city architect with a handful of staff to design our facilities of all types. You could invest in one heck of a design and engineering department for the money we pay and save taxpayer bosses a suitcase full of money in the process. I'm not done pursuing that.

Respectfully,

-yancy

I would think it would be very difficult to have a staff of architects, engineers, etc… that could be expert or proficient enough at the various types of buildings and structures and geology to make this feasible. I'd see it either becoming a political position or a starter that would still have to be vetted through content specific experts.
Also, who would be held accountable for faulty engineering or plans? The city? There is some conflict of interest there I would think.
How do other communities our size and up to double our size handle these things?

Thanks.

My thoughts went straight to liability, but if we can't hold a contractor accountable for failing to perform a geotechnical survey properly, maybe we already shoulder the liability and don't realize it. Maybe contracting needs some staff.
jimbo457
Mr. Yancy, I want to echo some of the sentiment on this thread regarding your engagement. I appreciate your willingness to get on here and communicate and engage with folks. Were I to be in your position I am not sure I'd have the fortitude to do the same. I admire you for this a great deal.

I would also like to mention, if there are any first responders reading this, don't listen to some on here spewing nonsense. I have a firm belief that most folks are of the same mind as me. We appreciate you and are perfectly fine with our tax money going to not only providing you with the basic equipment and facilities that enable you to do the job, but we also don't believe that with your dedication to service comes an agreement to live like a pauper. We can be fiscally responsible and still treat people right.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
maroon barchetta said:

saturn135 said:

I expect that if taxpayers foot the bill for an incredible commercial-grade kitchen, they can make their own breakfast tacos in said kitchen.

Nowhere did I insinuate that taxpayers buy their food. Try some reading comprehension.

Because you've seen their truck at Fuego before, that means they don't need a real kitchen… yeah sound reasoning there. If you're getting this up in arms that a fire station's kitchen has more than microwaves & hot plates (your words) then you need to go find some more fulfilling activities to do with your time.
maroon barchetta
My silence can be bought with enough quality tacos.
happyinBCS
I completely agree with your post, and it is always a pleasure to buy a fire crew breakfast or lunch when I see them out and about.
Bob Yancy
jimbo457 said:

Mr. Yancy, I want to echo some of the sentiment on this thread regarding your engagement. I appreciate your willingness to get on here and communicate and engage with folks. Were I to be in your position I am not sure I'd have the fortitude to do the same. I admire you for this a great deal.

I would also like to mention, if there are any first responders reading this, don't listen to some on here spewing nonsense. I have a firm belief that most folks are of the same mind as me. We appreciate you and are perfectly fine with our tax money going to not only providing you with the basic equipment and facilities that enable you to do the job, but we also don't believe that with your dedication to service comes an agreement to live like a pauper. We can be fiscally responsible and still treat people right.

Thanks for the kind words. Public Safety was my number one issue when I ran. It will be should I run again. Public Safety is the first, foremost priority of any municipality, full stop. My bosses, fellow citizens, feel the same. I hear it all the time. We can take care of fire and police, and be fiscally responsible. I intend to keep touting that very strategy.

Thanks again-

-yancy
SAC4311
And we shouldn't waste taxpayer money on beds either! Did you know I saw a fire truck and an ambulance out at like 2 AM? Obviously aren't using the beds like they should so save some more money there right?

This was a bad take my man
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.