Help: Traffic Attorney Recommendation?

3,274 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by buffalo chip
highpriorityag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
John Quinn retired
anyone else?
Smeghead4761
As cop for 5+ years, I don't think I ever saw anyone in court on a simple traffic offense with an attorney.

Unless you were cited for something really expensive (say, passing a school bus while it was loading/unloading, or speeding in a work zone with workers present) the cost of the attorney is going to be close to or over the cost of the fine.

highpriorityag
Smeghead4761 said:

As cop for 5+ years, I don't think I ever saw anyone in court on a simple traffic offense with an attorney.

Unless you were cited for something really expensive (say, passing a school bus while it was loading/unloading, or speeding in a work zone with workers present) the cost of the attorney is going to be close to or over the cost of the fine.

very helpful, now does anyone have a guy?
George Costanza
Shannon Flanigan
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

Maybe because a good attorney can get it resolved favorably before it goes to the courtroom?
Smeghead4761
Mr.Short-termMemory said:

Smeghead4761 said:

Maybe because a good attorney can get it resolved favorably before it goes to the courtroom?
I personally never gave anyone a citation for a traffic offense if I didn't have the violation on video. Since traffic violations are Class C misdemeanors, and the fines are already set, it's not like there's much to negotiate over.

I think it's mostly that the cost of attorney is greater than or equal to the cost of the fine.

The only time I saw an attorney for any Class Cs were for alcohol-related stuff - Minor in Possession, Public Intoxication - because those kinds of things can effect your car insurance, so there's secondary costs beyond the fine if a person is convicted. Those usually ended up as deferred prosecution, contingent on completion of alcohol awareness classes, staying out of trouble for 6-12 months, etc.
histag10
AG
I debated getting an attorney for a traffic violation that I knew I committed (speeding in an active school zone- i was going 23 in a 20), was on camera, and I was 100% willing to pay, simply because the deputy made some remarks (that were also on camera) that they never should have made. Thankfully, the JP was really receptive to the feedback, and last they updated me was that the person was going through retraining on several things.

My point is the issue isn't always the ticket.
harrierdoc
AG
Well, we are waiting…
histag10
AG
For.....?
happyinBCS
the remarks
histag10
AG
I'm not gonna share that, sorry. They were inappropriate when they were made, and they are still inappropriate.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG

an attorney will keep appealing the citation until the State goes away. Of course, you will pay for all of those appeals.

You will have no requirement to attend court.
tfunk02
AG
Mumbo Jimbo said:

John Quinn retired
anyone else?

I have taken over John Quinn's practice. He is not fully retired because he is mentoring me and comes in for trials when needed. He moved out to Nacogdoches but comes back often to see his granddaughter and to help me. I just moved back to CS from Houston last month to take it over.

I kept the legal assistant, the office, the phone number, and pretty much everything but the email. I am updating the technology and trying to maintain the practice.

We still do traffic tickets and plan to keep doing them.

or email lupe at funkhouserlegal.com
histag10
AG
Okay. That might be the BEST legal practice name. What a fun last name!
cajunken
histag10 said:

Okay. That might be the BEST legal practice name. What a fun last name!
I can picture the attorney walking into court with Parliament's "We want the Funk" blaring in the background!
buffalo chip
S
Uptown Funk!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.