Wellborn closed at Graham Road

5,933 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Hittag1492
TXCityGirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was surprised yesterday when Wellborn went down to two lanes at Graham Road before Fitch (southbound). Does anyone know what amazing construction project is happening at this intersection? I travel this area daily and saw no announcement/advance signage about this change. Wellborn is starting to remind me of I-35...never finished.
75AG
AG
Huh? Wellborn has always gone from 3 to 2 lanes there.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I was too. Couldn't find anything. As soon as they opened 2818 south and then wellborn at deacon I was happy thinking my afternoon commute was getting easier. Now they've got wellborn and Rick prairie lane closures and now Graham. I'm like WTF does it never end?
befitter
There has been a manhunt going on Graham this morning I believe
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
They served a warrant way down from that intersecting overnight. That wouldn't have closed that intersection yesterday afternoon.
Stupe
S
befitter said:

There has been a manhunt going on Graham this morning I believe
Might have been related to this warrant being served.

Warrant
TexAg1987
No. This has something to do with construction. They have cones and new reflectors on the road closing a lane.
It was finally feeling like it was working well after the construction.
Seems like they may be closing a turn lane?
maroon barchetta
TexAg1987 said:

No. This has something to do with construction. They have cones and new reflectors on the road closing a lane.
It was finally feeling like it was working well after the construction.
Seems like they may be closing a turn lane?

They are closing that turn lane that was never needed
TexAg1987
The one at 40?

Or the one at the road before?

I think the one at 40 is needed or at least not hurting anything.
maroon barchetta
TexAg1987 said:

The one at 40?

Or the one at the road before?

I think the one at 40 is needed or at least not hurting anything.

This one.

It's basically a U-turn lane. It's unnecessary.

oklaunion
Yeah, but it wasn't hurting anything. Why close it?
75AG
AG
I'm confused. The OP stated southbound Wellborn. That photo is of northbound Wellborn.
maroon barchetta
oklaunion said:

Anything that prevents unneeded u-turns is ok
EliteElectric
maroon barchetta said:

oklaunion said:

I don't know what prevents them but I know first hand that medians cause them
oklaunion
maroon barchetta said:

oklaunion said:

What is an unneeded U-turn? If enough drivers are completing them, there must be a need for doing one. Or is it just your opinion that they are unneeded?
maroon barchetta
oklaunion said:

maroon barchetta said:

oklaunion said:

What is an unneeded U-turn? If enough drivers are completing them, there must be a need for doing one. Or is it just your opinion that they are unneeded?

If they were traveling north and needed to turn around and go south, they should have used the protection of the traffic signal at the intersection of wellborn and Fitch

That u-turn option at Graham is just another spot for someone to make a hurried bad decision. And we see enough of those around town thanks to the new medians.
maroon barchetta
And that's not an opinion. It's an observation.
TXCityGirl
The turn lane there was used by many, many people. If you work near campus and have to pick up a child at one of the 3 schools off Graham Road, it was used (Cypress Grove, IL Texas, and Prodigy Learning Center).
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I don't think they're closing the southbound turn lane at Graham. They're closing the northbound u turn lane since it's no longer needed after the addition of the light.

Is that right?
maroon barchetta
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

I don't think they're closing the southbound turn lane at Graham. They're closing the northbound u turn lane since it's no longer needed after the addition of the light.

Is that right?

That's what it looked like to me.
bobinator
AG
I love when they close the right lane of west-bound Rock Prairie at Wellborn. It's closed again for like the third time in two years backing up traffic on Rock Prairie. Surprised nobody has been hurt by people cutting through that gas station parking lot like maniacs.
woodiewood
75AG said:

Huh? Wellborn has always gone from 3 to 2 lanes there.
I though it went to two lanes just past Fitch?
75AG
AG
Goes from 2 to 1 past Fitch
woodiewood
75AG said:

Goes from 2 to 1 past Fitch
Correct....one lane each way there and not at Graham as stated above.

They need four lanes all the way to Greens Prairie.
maroon barchetta
Passed the southbound closure this afternoon.

My guess on the scope of the project, based on absolutely nothing since there is no reliable way to guess the intent of road projects in the county:

Northbound turn lane closes.
Median is extended to block off any turn to Graham or from Graham across Wellborn to go south.

West side of median is trimmed off and the left turn lane to Fitch is made much longer than before.

There have been some accidents at Wellborn and Graham. This will stop that.

All traffic will funnel thru the signal at Fitch and Wellborn. People will learn to take a little more time going through the neighborhood to get to where they need to go if they had been trying to take Graham.

Maybe.
chickencoupe16
AG
TXCityGirl said:

The turn lane there was used by many, many people. If you work near campus and have to pick up a child at one of the 3 schools off Graham Road, it was used (Cypress Grove, IL Texas, and Prodigy Learning Center).

Not to mention many that live in Edelweiss
maroon barchetta
chickencoupe16 said:

TXCityGirl said:

Turn on Mortier
chickencoupe16
AG
maroon barchetta said:

chickencoupe16 said:

TXCityGirl said:

Turn on Mortier

Gartens, not Estates

But if Graham isn't worth allowing us to turn on to, Mortier certainly isn't.
maroon barchetta
chickencoupe16 said:

maroon barchetta said:

chickencoupe16 said:

TXCityGirl said:

Turn on Mortier

Gartens, not Estates

Mortier doesn't allow for turning left onto Wellborn to head south. Graham does. That's where the problems come. People leave Graham and hang out in the middle of Wellborn waiting to turn left to head south.

At Mortier it's marked as no left turn (some people ignore it). There isn't as much chance of a collision. M

That's why I could see them closing the turn to Graham.

But who knows. They haven't exactly publicized this work.
TyHolden
AG
If they have get the tunnel thing going, the first one needs to be another wellborn road under wellborn.
chickencoupe16
AG
maroon barchetta said:

chickencoupe16 said:

maroon barchetta said:

chickencoupe16 said:

TXCityGirl said:

Turn on Mortier

Gartens, not Estates

Mortier doesn't allow for turning left onto Wellborn to head south. Graham does. That's where the problems come. People leave Graham and hang out in the middle of Wellborn waiting to turn left to head south.

At Mortier it's marked as no left turn (some people ignore it). There isn't as much chance of a collision. M

So the theory is instead of eliminating northbound U-turns and turning left off Graham, you just shutdown the entire intersection?
maroon barchetta
chickencoupe16 said:

maroon barchetta said:

chickencoupe16 said:

maroon barchetta said:

chickencoupe16 said:

TXCityGirl said:

Turn on Mortier

Gartens, not Estates

So the theory is instead of eliminating northbound U-turns and turning left off Graham, you just shutdown the entire intersection?

Maybe. I can't tell what else they have planned. And Lord knows we see things with road projects that leaves us scratching our heads.

I haven't seen any plans. But I wouldn't be surprised.
NotJPMorgan
AG
The city's Capital improvement projects page shows a project in that area for a 24" waterline running from Graham->Fitch->Barron with an estimated completion of Spring 2025. I hope this isn't related to that project because Wellborn was so close to being decent again.
MiMi
S
This is the perfect time for Rusty or another KBTX reporter to turn a TexAgs thread into a headline story.
thann07
AG
I turned left from southbound Wellborn to Graham daily to drop off at the daycare.

This extends the commute through neighborhoods.

It's highly annoying.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.