More medians....

22,759 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by doubledog
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After months (years?) of construction at Texas Ave and Hwy 21, more shutdowns announced for.... medians.
The incredible, blind, power of TX DoT, and the tax $$$ spent, is quite incredible. And no way to vote them out of office...
B$Weigem
AG
I wish the names and contact information for those idiot decision makers were made public
CEAg78
AG
Here ya go:
https://www.txdot.gov/about/leadership/texas-transportation-commission.html
oklaunion
GSS said:

After months (years?) of construction at Texas Ave and Hwy 21, more shutdowns announced for.... medians.
The incredible, blind, power of TX DoT, and the tax $$$ spent, is quite incredible. And no way to vote them out of office...
I believe I heard they will be putting in medians on HWY 21 from Texas Ave toward the east bypass. That will suck.
CS78
If I ever get terminal cancer, im renting a D9 and will make the world a better place before I leave this earth.
rsa
AG
There seems to be a plentiful budget for building medians, but no funds to paint the darned things with reflective paint so you can see them at night.
maroon barchetta
CS78 said:

If I ever get terminal cancer, im renting a D9 and will make the world a better place before I leave this earth.

Start a GoFundMe for some diesel.
maroon barchetta
rsa said:

There seems to be a plentiful budget for building medians, but no funds to paint the darned things with reflective paint so you can see them at night.

This
Tom Cardy
AG
rsa said:

We'll eventually you'll just have to assume that there is always a median at the rate that they're putting them in
KC_Ag14
AG
Get ready, because they're also coming to WJB west of Hwy 6 by the new C&J's in the near future.
Bucketrunner
TXDOT determined to destroy businesses.
AgProgrammer
AG
I hate that the new turn lane medians are sticking out in the left lane down Harvey, etc. The turn lanes inside of the median are wider than the actual lanes now.
EVA3
AG
Someone is making a pretty penny building medians.
maroon barchetta
EVA3 said:

Someone is making a pretty penny building medians.

Whose brother in law has a paving company?
TexAg1987
Are their any other towns getting this treatment with medians?
I assume we can't be the only one.
BlueMiles
AG
I have not found one yet, but I did come across another "diverging diamond" in Tennessee.
CS78
AgProgrammer said:

are wider than the actual lanes now.

What is the deal with all the new narrow lanes?

They finally finished greens prairie and you can barely pull a trailer through there without hitting a curb. And it's not like they didn't have the space.
BiochemAg97
AG
BlueMiles said:

I have not found one yet, but I did come across another "diverging diamond" in Tennessee.

They build the diverging diamond in Round Rock before the one over 2818. The one here is better. BTW, there were plans to use 2 or 3 different new overpass configurations at various points along 35 in Austin. The problem with diverging diamonds is drivers aren't familiar with them. Instead of building 3 or 4 in the Austin area so more people have experience, TXDots solution is to use multiple different configurations so no one knows what is going to happen when they come to the next overpass.

Lots of arterials have medians. They just generally build them in when building/rebuilding the road. The unique part here is the retrofit into existing road without completely redoing the road. Rather than median construction over a few months down the length of a road, we could have had a complete rebuild of the road over years.
LOYAL AG
AG
During National Night Out we had a LT from BCSO in the neighborhood and I asked about the medians. He laughed and said they've been a pain for them as well then conceded that early results were as much as a 60% reduction in collisions where they've been completed. He was quick to say it's too soon to say if that's going to last once people start figuring out ways around them but the early returns were significant.

Just a little perspective on the up side to the medians.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Tim Weaver
There's been one at 21 and I35 in San Marcos for a long time. And it genuinely works great, as they all do in spots that see consistent, never-ending traffic.

I completely disagree that 60 and 2818 needed one. There's not nearly enough traffic there to make it worthwhile except for maybe on game days.
AgGunNut
AG
LOYAL AG said:

During National Night Out we had a LT from BCSO in the neighborhood and I asked about the medians. He laughed and said they've been a pain for them as well then conceded that early results were as much as a 60% reduction in collisions where they've been completed. He was quick to say it's too soon to say if that's going to last once people start figuring out ways around them but the early returns were significant.

I call BS that they knew what they were talking about considering SO generally doesn't even work crashes and never works them in the city limits where all the medians are located.
LOYAL AG
AG
AgGunNut said:

LOYAL AG said:

I call BS that they knew what they were talking about considering SO generally doesn't even work crashes and never works them in the city limits where all the medians are located.

Maybe I'm misreading your post given the emoji but do you really think SO only keeps up with the county outside of city limits? The SO is downtown and they're driving through the cities all day. I'm also extremely confident they communicate with the city agencies about what's going on in the entire county. I'm 100% certain he's better informed than any of us who simply see them as a nuisance. Take it for whatever you want.

And again if I misinterpreted your intent I apologize.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
halibut sinclair
SO is on Hwy. 21
philothea
I am curious once they go north of Old Hearne road if they will give a left hand turn to Producers Coop. Plus as narrow as those left hand turns are trailers are going to have a heck of time using them. Plus they have N. Sims closed between the railroad crossing and Texas which is another mess.
BiochemAg97
AG
philothea said:

I am curious once they go north of Old Hearne road if they will give a left hand turn to Producers Coop. Plus as narrow as those left hand turns are trailers are going to have a heck of time using them. Plus they have N. Sims closed between the railroad crossing and Texas which is another mess.

FWIW, the TXDoT planning map (https://www.txdot.gov/apps/statewide_mapping/StatewidePlanningMap.html) shows the median project extending to Old Hearn and stopping. There do not appear to be any projects north of Old Hearn, even out to "corridor studies, construction to being in 10+ years".
GSS
BiochemAg97 said:

philothea said:

FWIW, the TXDoT planning map (https://www.txdot.gov/apps/statewide_mapping/StatewidePlanningMap.html) shows the median project extending to Old Hearn and stopping. There do not appear to be any projects north of Old Hearn, even out to "corridor studies, construction to being in 10+ years".

Gotta love how TX DoT is selective where they think medians are "for traffic control, and safety".
An overkill solution, to a non-existent problem. A horrible use of road right of ways.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
W
AG
CEAg78 said:

Here ya go:
https://www.txdot.gov/about/leadership/texas-transportation-commission.html

they are all bankers, real estate brokers, or venture capitalists

no engineers
LOYAL AG
AG
GSS said:

BiochemAg97 said:

philothea said:

Gotta love how TX DoT is selective where they think medians are "for traffic control, and safety".
An overkill solution, to a non-existent problem. A horrible use of road right of ways.

We can all dislike them but how can you possibly say with any degree of confidence that it's a nonexistent problem? Do you have any information at all supporting that assertion? I'd be willing to bet most anything that left turns on to busy roads result in more accidents than right turns AND that those accidents are worse for left turns than right turns. Both of those only seem logical. Is this the right way to address those things if they're true? I don't know. Is it overkill? Maybe. But do you really think they did this with nothing suggesting that it would reduce the number or severity of accidents?
GSS
LOYAL AG said:

GSS said:

BiochemAg97 said:

philothea said:

We can all dislike them but how can you possibly say with any degree of confidence that it's a nonexistent problem? Do you have any information at all supporting that assertion? I'd be willing to bet most anything that left turns on to busy roads result in more accidents than right turns AND that those accidents are worse for left turns than right turns. Both of those only seem logical. Is this the right way to address those things if they're true? I don't know. Is it overkill? Maybe. But do you really think they did this with nothing suggesting that it would reduce the number or severity of accidents?
I'll concur that "non-existent" was incorrect, as certainly there is more risk, in making an uncontrolled left turn. But you can also be assured, that when a center lane was added to Texas Ave, at great expense..."safety and better traffic control" was cited as the reason. Yet TX DoT could not come up with a better "enhancement" than overly wide medians, business killing long stretches w/o turn lanes, and now planning "improved U-turn" intersections (more unintended consequences/ tax $$?).
And the rare turn lanes? Possibly designed by a first year engineer, "looked good on the drawing", but impractical for many vehicles, especially if pulling a trailer of any size.
If one trusts TX DoT to thoroughly think through a traffic plan, the Hwy 6 Bypass ramps would not have been redone multiple times, and Hwy 47 would not have been built with non-existent (or wholly inadequate) turn lanes, with no merge lanes for entering 75mph traffic.
Highway accidents are where the majority of deaths occur, not on city streets. But trust TX DoT to dismiss Texas Ave business concerns...they are real.

NRA Life
TSRA Life
AgProgrammer
AG
Quote:

I'd be willing to bet most anything that left turns on to busy roads result in more accidents than right turns AND that those accidents are worse for left turns than right turns.
Can't wait for the day when we're all going around, just making right turns, because the government has decided we aren't capable of making left turns anymore.
maroon barchetta
AgProgrammer said:

Quote:

I'd be willing to bet most anything that left turns on to busy roads result in more accidents than right turns AND that those accidents are worse for left turns than right turns.
Can't wait for the day when we're all going around, just making right turns, because the government has decided we aren't capable of making left turns anymore.

I did that once when my clutch went out.
LOYAL AG
AG
GSS said:

LOYAL AG said:

GSS said:

BiochemAg97 said:

philothea said:

I'll concur that "non-existent" was incorrect, as certainly there is more risk, in making an uncontrolled left turn. But you can also be assured, that when a center lane was added to Texas Ave, at great expense..."safety and better traffic control" was cited as the reason. Yet TX DoT could not come up with a better "enhancement" than overly wide medians, business killing long stretches w/o turn lanes, and now planning "improved U-turn" intersections (more unintended consequences/ tax $$?).
And the rare turn lanes? Possibly designed by a first year engineer, "looked good on the drawing", but impractical for many vehicles, especially if pulling a trailer of any size.
If one trusts TX DoT to thoroughly think through a traffic plan, the Hwy 6 Bypass ramps would not have been redone multiple times, and Hwy 47 would not have been built with non-existent (or wholly inadequate) turn lanes, with no merge lanes for entering 75mph traffic.
Highway accidents are where the majority of deaths occur, not on city streets. But trust TX DoT to dismiss Texas Ave business concerns...they are real.

Completely agree. Not saying it was executed well at all bet it hasn't been.
LOYAL AG
AG
AgProgrammer said:

Quote:

Since you put it that was I'm surprised they aren't finding a way to force us to only make left turns. I know, F16 is >>>> way.
saltsman
How, exactly do medians kill business? It's not like traffic is only going one direction all the time.

Let's say I'm out to pick up some tacos at this place up on the left. I'm headed east, but the median requires me to make a u-turn at the light. I say forget it, so I'll pull into this taco place on the right. I still bought tacos. For that taco stand on the right, medians increased their business. In the big scheme of things, it's a wash. I get that medians are disrupting old habits, but I can't see how they are actually discouraging people from buying tacos if they really want tacos. The only business they may be actually reducing is body shop business.

The same logic applies with the bypass. If I want to go to Sam's Club and am driving south, I still have to exit,U-turn and drive back north a bit. It's not that big of a deal. Back when the bypass was added, were people pissed they can't just drive across the median and down the embankments at will?
maroon barchetta
This take is so bad

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.