High Speed rail

2,931 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by doubledog
woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is it actually being built yet or are they still in the process of confiscating land?

It is interesting that our mayor Nichols as member of the BVCOG board voted against the resolution opposing the rail system.

I was amused by his comment, "I think as the obviously the largest city in the cog we have a lot of interest in economic development, transportation, travel time, access to the university, engagement allows another route for visitors, faculty, research scientist and others to get here by way of high-speed rail," Nichols added.

I can't imagine that many visitors from DFW and Houston that will go from those cities, will go through security checks, wait to board a train, and then take a 45 minute train ride to Roans Prairie, get off and then get transportation for the 30+ minute ride to A&M.
doubledog
For comparison : IAH to CoCS is 90min by car (Aggie expressway).

The high-speed rail needs to connect to IAH. DFW (airport) and their respective downtowns. If this happens, I can see Houstonites moving to Roans Prairie.
Jbob04
AG
I don't see that boondoggle ever being built.
techno-ag
AG
You still got to drive somewhere once you arrive. The only way it works is if you can park your car up there on a flat bed and have it ferried to the destination.
75AG
AG
techno-ag said:

You still got to drive somewhere once you arrive. The only way it works is if you can park your car up there on a flat bed and have it ferried to the destination.
Or you have Uber, Lyft, or rental agencies available like at every train station in America
MyNameIsJeff
AG
75AG said:

techno-ag said:

Or you have Uber, Lyft, or rental agencies available like at every train station in America
Lots of Ubers in Roans Prairie.
75AG
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

75AG said:

techno-ag said:

If there's a train stop there, rental agencies and Uber/Lyft will be there also.
techno-ag
AG
75AG said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

75AG said:

techno-ag said:

If there's a train stop there, rental agencies and Uber/Lyft will be there also.
I'd rather drive.
75AG
AG
techno-ag said:

75AG said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

75AG said:

techno-ag said:

I'd rather drive.
I doubt very seriously that living in the BCS area, you would ever take the bullet train to either DFW or Houston. Why they have an intermediate stop is stupid. The point of the bullet train is to take people from the two largest metropolitan areas while freeing-up traffic on highways, and doing it at a cheaper, less intrusive, and likely faster means that flying into and out of 4 airports.
BluHorseShu
AG
75AG said:

techno-ag said:

75AG said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

75AG said:

techno-ag said:

I'd rather drive.
I doubt very seriously that living in the BCS area, you would ever take the bullet train to either DFW or Houston. Why they have an intermediate stop is stupid. The point of the bullet train is to take people from the two largest metropolitan areas while freeing-up traffic on highways, and doing it at a cheaper, less intrusive, and likely faster means that flying into and out of 4 airports.
If it went directly to IAH or DFW I'd absolutely take it. The best airfares often get you into those airports late. Who wants to drive 2-3 hours in the dark that late.

But that's not nearly enough reason to put in a high speed rail. It will never be profitable AND it takes land from people for what will ultimately be a boondoggle.
techno-ag
AG
75AG said:

techno-ag said:

75AG said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

75AG said:

techno-ag said:

I'd rather drive.
We were talking about the BCS stop that's 40 miles away from BCS. This scheme might work on the coasts but in DFW and Houston where an Uber might take a couple extra hours, it's essentially useless and will require billions of taxpayer money to keep it afloat.
75AG
AG
I don't understand why the terminals would be outside the loop in Houston (I don't know where it's supposed to be in DFW). But from my capitol friends in Austin, Southwest, United, and American are completely against the terminals being at the airports. Obviously competition scares them.

And as I said earlier, there is no rationale for having an intermediate stop in Central Texas. That defeats the purpose of the speed.

Landowners will be compensated, but that's been an issue since the Southwest Freeway was built in Houston. I know because my now-deceased Aunt waited 30+ years for a settlement with the state.
75AG
AG
I agree that a stop midway on the journey is stupid and unnecessary.
vmiaptetr
AG
I thought this entire thing was killed a couple of years ago.
woodiewood1
vmiaptetr said:

I thought this entire thing was killed a couple of years ago.
I thought that negotiations are ongoing with the private company for it to consolidate with Amtrak so that eventually us taxpayers will foot be losses that will incur to keep it going like we do with Amtrak now?
woodiewood1
75AG said:

I don't understand why the terminals would be outside the loop in Houston (I don't know where it's supposed to be in DFW). But from my capitol friends in Austin, Southwest, United, and American are completely against the terminals being at the airports. Obviously competition scares them.

And as I said earlier, there is no rationale for having an intermediate stop in Central Texas. That defeats the purpose of the speed.

Landowners will be compensated, but that's been an issue since the Southwest Freeway was built in Houston. I know because my now-deceased Aunt waited 30+ years for a settlement with the state.
I imagine that the terminal in Houston was determined as it is the old former Greenspoint Mall which went belly-up years ago and probably was relatively inexpensive and undeveloped with the company getting some type of "urban revitalization" funds from the state and city of Houston..
Stupe
S
75AG said:

The entire project is that.
75AG
AG
Stupe said:

75AG said:

The entire project is that.
disagree for the reasons I stated above.
halibut sinclair
woodiewood1 said:

75AG said:

I imagine that the terminal in Houston was determined as it is the old former Greenspoint Mall which went belly-up years ago and probably was relatively inexpensive and undeveloped with the company getting some type of "urban revitalization" funds from the state and city of Houston..

Good luck there at "Gunspoint".
75AG
AG
I thought it was the old Northwest Mall?
doubledog
techno-ag said:

75AG said:

techno-ag said:

75AG said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

75AG said:

techno-ag said:

I'd rather drive.
We were talking about the BCS stop that's 40 miles away from BCS. This scheme might work on the coasts but in DFW and Houston where an Uber might take a couple extra hours, it's essentially useless and will require billions of taxpayer money to keep it afloat.
About 20 miles Roans Prairie to the CoCS and Bryan city limit, but I see your point.
woodiewood1
doubledog said:

techno-ag said:

75AG said:

techno-ag said:

75AG said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

75AG said:

techno-ag said:

I'd rather drive.
About 20 miles Roans Prairie to the CoCS and Bryan city limit, but I see your point.
27 miles from A&M to Roans Prairie. The problem would be you would want to probably leave a hour ahead in order to go to RP and get dropped off or park and wait for the next train. You wouldn't want to miss your train and then wait an hour for the next train.
BQ_90
AG
woodiewood1 said:

doubledog said:

techno-ag said:

75AG said:

techno-ag said:

75AG said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

75AG said:

techno-ag said:

I'd rather drive.
27 miles from A&M to Roans Prairie. The problem would be you would want to probably leave a hour ahead in order to go to RP and get dropped off or park and wait for the next train. You wouldn't want to miss your train and then wait an hour for the next train.

And of course the Uber or Lyft drivers will,just sit there and wait for the train to come right since if,they don't they have no,chance of return fair back to BCS

The stop in RP is also a maintenance location. But part of,the boondoggle is trying to convince [Edit] that that support this that it's a stop in Aggieland

[ Do not use insulting terms or phrases and be respectful when posting on this forum. -Staff]
taxpreparer
AG
75AG said:

I think (but am probably wrong) that stop let's them qualify as a common carrier and eligible to use eminent domain for land acquisition.
75AG
AG
You know more about that than me!
OnlyForNow
AG
Don't believe the stop had anything to do with them getting common carrier status.
Stupe
S
Quote:

I think (but am probably wrong) that stop let's them qualify as a common carrier and eligible to use eminent domain for land acquisition.
I think that you mean land left by a private company.
davido
AG
75AG said:

I thought the same, basically Delmar Stadium. I was thinking there was a Metro station there also, but it's further south at I-10.

I hope this gets built. Florida figured one out. We need more rail in the states.
wareagle044
Would prefer it connect more than just Houston and DFW. Roans Prairie should be the central hub for connections to Austin/SA - Dallas - Houston - Lubbock or Amarillo and El Paso
doubledog
davido said:

75AG said:

I thought the same, basically Delmar Stadium. I was thinking there was a Metro station there also, but it's further south at I-10.

I hope this gets built. Florida figured one out. We need more rail in the states.
Florida is one long North to South state. High Speed rail in FL makes sense.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.