Medians kill Christmas Parade

10,272 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Hornbeck
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rsa said:

There may be more to this other than medians. They cancelled the parade in 2021, and almost cancelled it in 2022. They need to convince me that medians are the sole culprit.
This was my thought. Maybe they just wanted an excuse. Who knows.
trouble
AG
I think that's exactly it. They were late in getting info out last year then bellyached about lower participation.

The medians gave them an opportunity to blame someone else.
Pantera
AG
Two things can be true.

The medians absolutely suck and do not improve our towns AT ALL, and the organizers took an easy out on this one.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Rusty stirring the pot on the median discussion

soccerboi710
BiochemAg97 said:

Bucketrunner said:

The article says they did. The medians don't allow for floats not being dangerously close to parade viewers. There is also not enough room for bands to march.

I loathe the things.

You have got to be kidding me. The "not enough room for the band to march" is joke. The entire corps marches down this stretch of road every home game and several additional times a year. The band "marches" down this stretch of road every midnight yell practice. Notice the median.

Cav rides down one side of Olsen Blvd every game day and brings a wagon. There is a great big median there.

You are telling me the people in Bryan can't figure out how to March/drive floats down 2 lanes on one side of the median. Hey, you are closing the road anyway, you can have bring spectators all the way to the median on the other side of the street. Just have people to make sure the crowd stay far enough back.

https://f5s-img.s3.amazonaws.com/000/eb/fa/ebfa53c3b417a1b27e58b2a2dcdbbc23d10fe091_261056_u142153.jpg

A million times this! People are just lazy to come up with solutions and rather play the blame game.
Tailgate88
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Rusty stirring the pot on the median discussion

Hornbeck
AG
The City of Bryan just hates Christmas. And planes.
trouble
AG
You clearly have never been to the downtown lighted parade
Abbyag06
Participating in the parade several times over the last 12 years I can tell you the Bryan parade is more dangerous than the BCS Parade. Last year in DT Bryan I was walking with the Bryan High Band trying everything to avoid stepping on people's feet that were sitting on the curbs of the road. To tell me that marching down Texas is too dangerous is asinine. I think it's a wonderful holiday tradition and something the participates look forward to every year. And I have no doubt at all that some groups have already started planning and/or building their floats. This is a very sad day for our cities. If they don't want to organize it, just state that! Don't try to pass the buck and blame TXDoT for medians when Bryan can make it work.
Hornbeck
AG
trouble said:

I don't live there. Many CS folks don't venture that far north regularly, and no, I haven't been to it.
halibut sinclair
Hornbeck said:

trouble said:

I don't live there. Many CS folks don't venture that far north regularly, and no, I haven't been to it.

Pack your bags, Ethel - we're making the trek from south CS to downtown Bryan. Make preparations! Pack provisions!
Pantera
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Hornbeck said:

trouble said:

Pack your bags, Ethel - we're making the trek from south CS to downtown Bryan. Make preparations! Pack provisions!

If it's 5 PM … the joke isn't a joke anymore .
TexasAggie_02
AG
Can't the cities just fire the committee and do themselves?
maroon barchetta
TexasAggie_02 said:

Can't the cities just fire the committee and do themselves?

You just suggested the two cities work together on something.

Think about what you just posted.
ChampsAg
Bobinator hit the nail on the head. There is no vehicle in the parade that could not go down one side of the road. I told the wife last night the same thing about alternating sides as well.

Someone doesn't want to have the parade for other reasons. I have driven a firetruck in the parade and watched the parade, this is doable.

And the lighted parade is fun because you are so close and can actually see the participants.

There is a solution, they just aren't interested in it.
trouble
AG
Zactly
maroon barchetta
The large combines and stuff don't still participate? I would think they are too large.
trouble
AG
There wasn't anything that couldn't drive in 2 lanes last year
Tailgate88
AG
maroon barchetta said:

The large combines and stuff don't still participate? I would think they are too large.
They weren't there last year, which was actually just fine, because the big one that lead the combine portion of the parade reeeeeeealy liked his horn, which was approximately 150db. There were literally little kids screaming because they were so scared and that dude was just honking away...
kyledr04
AG
Hundreds of cities have parades go down narrow two lane streets. They can't use one side a 4 lane road with a median? Sound like bs.
Tailgate88
phillytex24
We have the power to get rid of these medians. We need to come together and fight this! Remember the speed bumps down Munson? We're Americans! We the People have the power.
woodiewood1
There are places in Bryan where the median blocks access to stretches of four or five streets making people drive down and make a u-turn to get back to the street their home is on or a business. If I was one of the businesses, I would be totally pi$$ed.

I suspect there won't be a lot of difference between the number of accidents that there was in the open middle than there is now when people are impatient and attempted to make u-turns in traffic.
woodiewood1
halibut sinclair said:

Hornbeck said:

trouble said:

Yep, there are a mew hotels half way towards downtown Bryan if people need to spend the night during their trek.
woodiewood1
ChampsAg said:

Bobinator hit the nail on the head. There is no vehicle in the parade that could not go down one side of the road. I told the wife last night the same thing about alternating sides as well.

Someone doesn't want to have the parade for other reasons. I have driven a firetruck in the parade and watched the parade, this is doable.

And the lighted parade is fun because you are so close and can actually see the participants.

There is a solution, they just aren't interested in it.
Even if a band was too wide in their typical practiced alignment, they could easily split into two sections and each go down a lane. It's a parade, not a musical performance.

If mankind can put a vehicle on Mars and have two space crafts on their way out of our solar system, I bet a way to have a parade that is enjoyable to viewers could be arranged if there was a burning desire to do so.
Captn_Ag05
AG
College Station announced this morning that they are going to host their first annual Christmas parade.
trouble
AG
Excellent
BiochemAg97
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

College Station announced this morning that they are going to host their first annual Christmas parade.

Is it going to go south on Texas from University?

They could have the review stand in front of City Hall and give everyone the opportunity to take pictures with the I heart Aggieland sign.
trouble
Captn_Ag05
AG
I think it is starting at Chimney Hill, swinging by the Macy's property, and ending at the Independence Ballpark land. Just to make everyone's heads explode.
BiochemAg97
maroon barchetta
Captn_Ag05 said:

I think it is starting at Chimney Hill, swinging by the Macy's property, and ending at the Independence Ballpark land. Just to make everyone's heads explode.

Please make this happen.
AggiePhil
AG
I was about to say, sounds like a great opportunity for the COCS to start a new tradition!
bushytailed
AG
Rusty just confirmed it on FB so now you know it's real, lol.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Will the waste from any horses in the parade be disposed of in Bryan?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.