Medians kill Christmas Parade

10,244 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Hornbeck
Hornbeck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Press release, news story here- https://www.kbtx.com/2023/09/12/bcs-christmas-parade-cancelled-because-new-medians/
Tailgate88
AG

AgTrip
Way to go mo fos!!
BluHorseShu
AG
Hornbeck said:

Press release, news story here- https://www.kbtx.com/2023/09/12/bcs-christmas-parade-cancelled-because-new-medians/
What in the wide wide world of sports were they thinking??!!!?? 93 years, decades of family memories and they just kill the tradition?? Begs the question of whether they thought about this when the medians were discussed. Did anyone else read the statement about the cancellation as "Well its been a good 93 years, but that's all folks"? We've officially moved out of that small town feel now.

Well, at least we still have the tradition of taking out a second mortgage to attend Santa's Wonderland and battle the masses before they run out of food.
halibut sinclair
The lighted parade downtown is better, anyway.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Without reading the article, this seems like a knee-jerk "middle finger" to TxDOT. Thing is, this won't impact TxDOT at all, and will only hurt those along the route or those that enjoyed attending the parade.

I hate the medians as much as everyone, but I don't know if this is the correct response.

Off to read the article now.
trouble
AG
This feels like they didn't even investigate alternate routes.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Just gave up without a fight.
Hell, just do laps at Post Oak Mall and let the spectators watch from, ahem, inside the loop.
Then everyone can get a pizookie afterward.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
FlyRod
I viscerally hate those medians so much. Now this. Recently I've been observing and getting caught in traffic jams on once quiet residential streets, as people (understandably) try to escape the cluster f that is Briarcrest. Then you have all the businesses losing money because of the killing off the left turn lanes. Simple trips that once took 5 minutes taking 20-30. Enough.
trouble
AG
We drove acting and looked a little. Noooooooope, we're out.
Bucketrunner
The article says they did. The medians don't allow for floats not being dangerously close to parade viewers. There is also not enough room for bands to march.

I loathe the things.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Would University from six to Boonville not have worked? One side if Bryan and the other is CS. Then Boonville back to six.
Hornbeck
AG
trouble said:

This feels like they didn't even investigate alternate routes.

They said they did with Bryan and CS officials
CS78
We loved that parade. Good, small time, cheap, family entertainment.

Medians ruin everything!
Rex Racer
AG
I have lived here since 1989, and never once have I attended the Christmas Parade. That said, this is lame for those who do attend.
AggiePhil
AG
You mean to tell me a community of a quarter million people doesn't have a roadway suitable for a parade?? What ever did people do before 5+ lane thoroughfares??
trouble
AG
Yes, I know they said they investigated routes. I'm saying I don't believe them.
bobinator
AG
We went last year and it was a fun event, pretty lame they're shutting it down.

I don't really understand having to shut it down though, if all of the floats and large vehicles just stay on the inside lanes you'd think that would be plenty of room on the outside.

How many things in the parade were wider than one lane anyway? And can't the bands split down the middle and march on either side of the medians?
bobinator
AG
trouble said:

Yes, I know they said they investigated routes. I'm saying I don't believe them.
Well their own qualifications basically eliminate every road in town right off the bat without having to get into a car. You either need one large area you can loop back to or you need two large areas for the start and the end AND the route has to include both cities.
bobinator
AG
It's also not like nobody goes to this thing, there were literal thousands of people out there last year.
91_Aggie
AG
Are there any floats that are wide enough not to fit on one side? Since roads are closed people could set on median and sidewalks
bobinator
AG
presumably if people are on the medians they'd be "too close" according to them. But I don't see why they can't just alternate sides of the medians. Even numbers on the left, odd numbers on the right, if you're a group of people marching then split up on either.
trouble
AG
I cannot remember one from recent years that would be too wide. There's no reason people couldn't sit in the empty side of the road.
bobinator
AG
The only thing I could think of was maybe some of the large vehicles from like the Forest Service or whatever. But it's definitely not more than a handful of vehicles.
trouble
AG
Even those can drive on one side of the street
Bryanisbest
AG
Traveling north on Texas, can't even turn left to front entrance of the courthouse to pick up or drop off someone. Pitiful!
rsa
AG
There may be more to this other than medians. They cancelled the parade in 2021, and almost cancelled it in 2022. They need to convince me that medians are the sole culprit.
halibut sinclair
rsa said:

There may be more to this other than medians. They cancelled the parade in 2021, and almost cancelled it in 2022. They need to convince me that medians are the sole culprit.

Covid related.
halibut sinclair
Floats down one side, split the bands down the middle. Large vehicles could straddle the medians. Problem solved!
AG81
AG
[There is a thread discussing that issue on the board. - Staff]
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
[There is a thread discussing that issue on the board. -Staff]
UmustBKidding
New parade order.
D9 cat drivers of bcs
Street sweepers of bcs
Problem solved
maroon barchetta
Anytime a TXDOT employee is scheduled to give any public presentation, there should be walk up music, and it should be "You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch…"
BiochemAg97
AG
Bucketrunner said:

The article says they did. The medians don't allow for floats not being dangerously close to parade viewers. There is also not enough room for bands to march.

I loathe the things.

You have got to be kidding me. The "not enough room for the band to march" is joke. The entire corps marches down this stretch of road every home game and several additional times a year. The band "marches" down this stretch of road every midnight yell practice. Notice the median.

Cav rides down one side of Olsen Blvd every game day and brings a wagon. There is a great big median there.

You are telling me the people in Bryan can't figure out how to March/drive floats down 2 lanes on one side of the median. Hey, you are closing the road anyway, you can have bring spectators all the way to the median on the other side of the street. Just have people to make sure the crowd stay far enough back.

TexasAggie_02
AG
Just shut down highway 6 for 2 hrs and do the parade there. Start at post oak mall and go down to premiere cinemas.

That'll dhow TXDOT who's boss
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.