Rock Prairie Baseball Fields

36,181 Views | 314 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by MsDoubleD81
MeKnowNot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stupe said:

What sports?
Let me try my point again.

Every year the residents of College Station sends the City an allowance. It's a limited financial allocation that the City gets to cover all our municipal "needs" and some of our "wants".

Parks and recreation falls more on the "want" side of the balancing act that the City and City Council perform each year, with the intent being to provide ample parks and diverse recreation opportunities for all of the City residents.

In my opinion, if the City moves away from providing recreational level facilities toward providing any facilities that are geared to competition level sports, select teams and traveling ball, they have moved beyond providing core services.

The evaluation for the City to invest our money in any non-core service needs to be made on a very different basis and not shortchange other recreational opportunities (core services). I would even suggest that if they move forward with this type of project, it should be managed entirely independent of the other parts of the City budget to provide greater financial transparency.
RXAggie02
AG
Bob Yancy said:

Well I'm sure that is probably why TIB WAS put in motion. As for conditions, have you voiced your concerns to the Parks department? Volunteered for any committees? Spoken before council during hear visitors? These are sure fire ways to make a difference in your city. And as for Brian's park, the citizens just approved a bond election to upgrade most everything out there, because a duly elected council, citizen committees and staff identified it was needed, put it before the citizens and they said "yes" on Election Day. That project will start soon. The process works but demands your involvement.

Respectfully

I'm pretty sure CS voted yes to the Bond to put these fields in place! So maybe do what your constituents want!
As for coming to meetings, I've been involved in several city council issues and quickly found that decisions are already made based on money backing or opposition to a project behind the scenes. You can tell me otherwise, but I've seen it in action.

I'm disappointed and dissatisfied with the decision about the ball fields, but more upset about acting like the city had no prior knowledge to the barrow pit situation when it was a city decision to do it.

Hard to have faith in a process that burns us, miss uses our funds, then lies to our face.
dallasiteinsa02
I am actually curious how these bond elections and the aftermath operate. A few questions:

1. Should they go back with the new information to vote to cancel the bond? What would keep city council from just canceling any bond that they don't like that passes?

2. Can they reallocate the funds to another use? Then you could just put a bunch of bonds out there that sound great and then shift the funds to other uses that wouldn't have passed.

Brian Alg
MeKnowNot said:

Isn't the "base-line" question:
How many kids in College Station can't participate in baseball because we don't have enough baseball fields?

To tack on to this. A question that is not being asked is "how much is this expected to cost per additional baseball kid?"

If the answer to the "How many more kids can play baseball because of these new multimillion dollar fields?" is 500 per year, then we can do some interesting calculations. Suppose the additional draw on the general fund is $1.5 million per year (capital and O&M costs minus fees and additional sales tax receipts from tournament visitors). That calculates to $1,500,000 / 500 or $3k per player per year. You could adjust my numbers, but that is the kind of calculation that I would hope the proponents of these kinds of projects would deal with.

Super bothersome to me that council refused to do it last year before taking out the loan and starting construction. Not sure what the story is with the soil, but perhaps performing fiscal reality checks were not the only corners cut in the rush to start construction before voters could say "no."

I am super skeptical of anyone proposing this kind of project without doing this kind of basic "what are we getting for how much?" calculations. Franklin's subsidy for the travel baseball players of College Station is not a reason to be spendthrifts with our tax money.

If other government entities want to subsidize your baseball (or conventions, or minor league hockey arenas, or waterparks, or Jurassic Live-worthy arena space, etc.), that's great for you. But I would hope that leadership in CS city government would do some basic "why would we do this?" analysis before following suit.

We have too much cool stuff going for us in this town to waste money on whatever small town governments think is the hot new thing. Those projects are pursued by other communities because they don't have anything half as cool as what we have. Blowing tens of millions of dollars on distractions is not conducive to capitalizing on the amazing peculiar opportunities we have.
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government and Moderator Restraint
TexasAggie_02
AG
if you look back through the imagery on google earth, looks like it was used as a barrow pit starting in 2004. The pit at that time was roughly 3.2 acres in size.

By 2005, it was about 11 acres in size. and more or less kept this size/shape.

In 2010, it looks like there was substantial soil removal, there is standing water in the pit (with a pump and pipe visible to drain it), and substantial gully erosion on the banks of the pit.

In 2011, it appears that the pit has been back filled and smoothed out. The soil that it was filled with looks white, like caliche.

in 2012, it is mostly vegetated, but there are a lot of bare areas of exposed caliche on the southwest portion where the deepest part of the barrow pit was.

The pit doesn't get fully vegetated until 2016.

Also, there is a 1.6 acre oil/gas pad that has been next to the barrow pit since at least 1995. The pad was abandoned sometime after 2013, and was nearly revegetated by 2019.

TLDR, how did no one at the city know the history of this property?
MS08
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

if you look back through the imagery on google earth, looks like it was used as a barrow pit starting in 2004. The pit at that time was roughly 3.2 acres in size.

In 2010, it looks like there was substantial soil removal, there is standing water in the pit (with a pump and pipe visible to drain it), and substantial gully erosion on the banks of the pit.

In 2011, it appears that the pit has been back filled and smoothed out. The soil that it was filled with looks white, like caliche.

in 2012, it is mostly vegetated, but there are a lot of bare areas of exposed caliche on the southwest portion where the deepest part of the barrow pit was.

Also, there is a 1.6 acre oil/gas pad that has been next to the barrow pit since at least 1995. The pad was abandoned sometime after 2013, and was nearly revegetated by 2019.

Great summary. Pretty common knowledge, to a certain degree, that is was used like this. I do not like throwing them around, but incompetence and negligence, seems like appropriate diction and that is very disappointing, aggravating, and disheartening as a local taxpayer.

Also, this summary, is the same reason that Barron Rd will always dead end at the Gogh Gogh Coffee/Remax building. Thoroughfare plans would could Barron Rd to Rock Prairie East but that is not feasible because of floodplain and the pit nature of a lot of the area to the West of Rock Prairie east.
Stupe
S
You are still being vague about "other" sports.

The city converted the adult softball fields at Central Park to girls softball. Veterans has expanded to soccer fields and multi purpose fields. Adamson Lagoon hosts a swim team program that anyone can join until they graduate high school.

The softball fields, soccer fields, and multi-purpose fields are used for league teams, tourney teams, and for hosting tournaments.

The baseball fields would have been used by Little League AND travel teams.

It's not either / or.
MeKnowNot
Stupe said:

You are still being vague about "other" sports.

The city converted the adult softball fields at Central Park to girls softball. Veterans has expanded to soccer fields and multi purpose fields. Adamson Lagoon hosts a swim team program that anyone can join until they graduate high school.

The softball fields, soccer fields, and multi-purpose fields are used for league teams, tourney teams, and for hosting tournaments.

The baseball fields would have been used by Little League AND travel teams.

It's not either / or.
This is excellent news!

It sounds like you feel that we have met the core needs for recreational sports activities for our College Station community. The City does need to build any new facilities with tax dollars, just maintain what we have.

If tournament level facilities are a good investment, I fully encourage others to build them to with private funds and hope that they have great success. If the returns look promising, I might even consider investing in such a project.

Stupe
S
Quote:

It sounds like you feel that we have met the core needs for recreational sports activities for our College Station community.

I did not say that and I completely disagree with you.
Brian Alg
Deleted. I get irked when I think people take the ability to use tax money on their pet projects for granted.
Brian Alg

RXAggie02
AG
I personally desire the fields to be built as I am an avid user of Bachmann, Wayne Smith and Travis (in Bryan).

I voted yes to the Bond. I was disappointed in the guy vernment heavy spending on the project though. The 3 fields in Bryan cost around $6 mil (privatized) and we were gonna build 4 for near $24 mil based on GC bids. Seems like a disconnect there, especially when I see the $30 million dollar football stadiums going up around texas, I'm not sure why we were paying so much. Then saying an additional 7-10$ million to clean it up!

Ludacris.
Stupe
S
Brian Alg said:

Deleted. I get irked when I think people take the ability to use tax money on their pet projects for granted.
I have no idea what you are trying to say with that statement.

The baseball fields aren't a pet project to me. I don't have a kid in Little League or on a travel baseball team and I wouldn't personally benefit from them being built.
I voted for the bond because I know that teams have problems getting fields and if there are rainouts they lose out on games due to the lack of fields and time.
I think that if kids are involved in activities, it's better for them than sitting at home.

The ball fields would also bring in money to local businesses when tournaments are hosted.

I feel the same way about the soccer fields and multi-purpose fields at Veteran's Park.

I feel the same way about the facilities at Consol even though I don't have kids that went there.

Some things are just good to support. Even if they don't have a direct positive impact on the person supporting or paying for them.
And, don't forget, I also pay those taxes. I don't take anything for granted when I vote on bonds.
Tailgate88
AG
+1 to everything you said.
Diddler_44
AG
Luda had nothing to do with this.
TAMU1990
AG
Jbob04 said:

Agree with farmers fight above. If you want to do it right, go look at The Ranch in Franklin. Absolutely beautiful facility.
Best facilities in the state, IMO
TAMU1990
AG
farmersfight said:

To my knowledge, CS has 2 ballparks - Wayne Smith and Bachmann and are heavily used for CS Little League. My descriptions of field sizes may be off so I'm open for someone correcting me there.

Wayne Smith has 2 tee ball fields, and 3 smaller fields up to 12u size

Bachmann has 4 tee ball fields, 4 smaller fields used for up to 2u, and 2 larger fields that 13u and up play at.

Both of these facilities are old - that doesn't mean they don't work for playing ball. The concessions are small, restrooms are small. They work for little league season, I don't think they could handle an all weekend tournament. I'm sure decades ago they weren't built with that in mind.

The city lacks the larger fields. I've been over google maps and all the other ballparks I can see are for little league or softball. What was planned to be built would've met the needs. I'll say again, Franklin Ranch is by far the best park out there and would be a great blueprint for something locally.

Local baseball clubs - Bucks, Pride, Twelve, Renegades, I'm sure there are others. There are hundreds of local kids that play in tournament ball, it'd be a great relief to be able to host locally every now and then.
The only good thing about the 13u fields is the infield is so bad coaches say if you can field there you can field anywhere. The fences are only 300ft and you can't play 14u or HS there, but the kids love pimping HRs on that field.

My son did years of infield practice and lessons there and it has served him well in college ball.
TAMU1990
AG
Bob Yancy said:

Well that's at once very helpful and disappointing. Would love a way to fulfill the baseball need affordably. You seem highly knowledgeable in all this.

Would the baseball fields bring in outside visitors? What % of the need is local vs tourism?

Are there any underutilized existing fields/space that could be affordably converted/upgraded?

What led to the decision to build TIB in the first place? I wasn't at city hall. Please advise.

How many fields are required to achieve critical mass for local and/or tourism? 3? 5?

Is synthetic turf necessary? Does it last? Does the ground undulate over time? If it does is it expensive to fix?

Was TIB the right call back in 2017?

What would you do in this situation if you could wave a magic wand?

Please advise

Edited for: scratch all that let's get lunch or coffee instead. It's on me. Pls send email to byancy@cstx.gov if you'd like.
Another suggestion would be for the city to partner with Franklin to where fields in both CS and Franklin are used simultaneously for the same tourney. Most teams that play in Franklin for 3-4 days stay in College Station because there are more accommodations available. Franklin only has 1 hotel. Go to their website www.texaspremier.org and check out their summer and fall/spring events and leagues. Just because kids play at the 12 doesn't mean they are all from CS. In HS ball that is a guarantee.

My son played with the 12 for 11 years. I have been to Franklin so many times - even just for practice.

I also want to point out local HS also look for turf fields to play games when the weather rains them out in season. Navasota ISD has been real busy getting business from CSISD. Many playoff games are played there too. A playoff game was moved to Navasota to finish AN INNING!
TAMU1990
AG
Brian Alg said:

MeKnowNot said:

Isn't the "base-line" question:
How many kids in College Station can't participate in baseball because we don't have enough baseball fields?

To tack on to this. A question that is not being asked is "how much is this expected to cost per additional baseball kid?"

If the answer to the "How many more kids can play baseball because of these new multimillion dollar fields?" is 500 per year, then we can do some interesting calculations. Suppose the additional draw on the general fund is $1.5 million per year (capital and O&M costs minus fees and additional sales tax receipts from tournament visitors). That calculates to $1,500,000 / 500 or $3k per player per year. You could adjust my numbers, but that is the kind of calculation that I would hope the proponents of these kinds of projects would deal with.

Super bothersome to me that council refused to do it last year before taking out the loan and starting construction. Not sure what the story is with the soil, but perhaps performing fiscal reality checks were not the only corners cut in the rush to start construction before voters could say "no."

I am super skeptical of anyone proposing this kind of project without doing this kind of basic "what are we getting for how much?" calculations. Franklin's subsidy for the travel baseball players of College Station is not a reason to be spendthrifts with our tax money.

If other government entities want to subsidize your baseball (or conventions, or minor league hockey arenas, or waterparks, or Jurassic Live-worthy arena space, etc.), that's great for you. But I would hope that leadership in CS city government would do some basic "why would we do this?" analysis before following suit.

We have too much cool stuff going for us in this town to waste money on whatever small town governments think is the hot new thing. Those projects are pursued by other communities because they don't have anything half as cool as what we have. Blowing tens of millions of dollars on distractions is not conducive to capitalizing on the amazing peculiar opportunities we have.
You need to go to Bachman and Wayne Smith during LL season in the spring. The fields get heavy use and the facility is in poor shape. Tip - get there early or you won't be able to park to even do your research.

Towns that have no amenities or poor facilities for families will not have continuous middle and upper class family growth to the tax base over time. Yes, I know CS has been growing because I have lived here for 16 years, but a lot of that growth had nothing to do with anything the counsel did to encourage it. CS has grown because Texas is attracting workers and people from other states or large metro areas in the state (without getting too political about the reassortment happening). But there is a significant lack of "things to do" for kids in this town. If you have the means, you will join a travel team and do your thing away from CS - in many sports, not just baseball.

You need to visit CSISD and get an overlay where the lower income families live (yes, they have it down to the house) and work to attract youth options for all incomes to enjoy. Maybe I shouldn't complain because I don't want CS to keep growing like all of the metro areas in Texas.
woodiewood1
TexasAggie_02 said:

The first question is why did the engineering firm hired not identify these potential issues? Was not a soil test made?
doubledog
Brian Alg said:

I see these as a "legacy" projects. But continue.
MeKnowNot
Stube, TAMU and others,

As I eluded to in previous posts, providing reports, studies and actual numbers to support the need for ballparks, along with what benefits they would provide to tax payers it would go much further to support this type of project than your opinions and personal feelings.

Please don't take this as some type of personal attack. Multi-million dollar expenditures should never be made based on emotion.

At least one Council member has committed to making a decision on another large potential project based on facts. Can't we agree do to the same with ball parks?
MS08
AG
The need for more competitive youth baseball fields seems to be without question. Now, how to go about doing that is another thing. As with most all things that have financial risks and rewards, I think the private sector does it better because it means more and more is on the line - you cannot just say "oops" in the private sector. At minimum do a PPP (Public, Private Partnership) and lure a private developer to be a part of for the public good and with some of the public's financial participation (taxpayers, bonds, etc). That private developer will conduct their own multifaceted market research, which will either support the perceived demand or debunk it to some extent.
Bob Yancy
Interesting. So is there a financial and qol ROI for them?
TexasAggie_02
AG
Quote:

The first question is why did the engineering firm hired not identify these potential issues? Was not a soil test made?
a test was made, apparently. would be nice to see the report and see if they map out where the samples where taken.
MeKnowNot
Bob Yancy said:

Thank you for asking this important question.
Brian Alg
MS08 said:

The need for more competitive youth baseball fields seems to be without question.

At least two different people have asked about the need here on page 8 alone.

The unwillingness of city staff or council or other proponents of these multimillion dollar ballfields to even attempt to provide basic answers before rushing into the current mess does not mean that there is no question about the need for multimillion dollar ballfields on the edge of town built with money from College Station's general fund.

And your proposal of giving money from the General Fund to a private business to subsidize travel ball for out of town visitors and some unknown number of local little leaguers does not address a different question: how much should College Station residents be expected to shell out for the pet/legacy/vanity projects of local baseball enthusiasts?
Brian Alg

Stupe
S
I'm going to respond to that post a little out of order.

First, I don't take anything personally. If someone gets insulted by the opinions of other people, they need to grow up.

Quote:

As I eluded to in previous posts, providing reports, studies and actual numbers to support the need for ballparks, along with what benefits they would provide to tax payers it would go much further to support this type of project than your opinions and personal feelings.
That is exactly what you are doing. Your opinion is that there should be a measurable ROI on kids being involved in extracurricular activities.

I disagree with that opinion. I think that there are unseen benefits to kids being involved in extracurricular activities. You keep going back to the baseball fields and ignoring that I've said the same thing about Consol and the other types of fields.
TAMU1990
AG
Bob Yancy said:

I know they have been having tournaments out there for years - maybe 10 years? For example, there were 26 teams in town for the 17u championship. The site listed hotels the tourney partnered with - most of them along University Ave. I don't know anything about their ROI.
Brian Alg
Stupe said:

You keep going back to the baseball fields and ignoring that I've said the same thing about Consol and the other types of fields.

I may be misunderstanding, are you saying that you make these kinds of decisions without even attempting to figure out what the results might be?

I dig that there are all kinds of benefits to kids participating in sports. But are you not even interested in trying to figure out how many kids from College Station will benefit? If it turned out that this is costing $10k per player per season, would that affect your support at all? A lot of things could be done with $23 million (or $1.5-$2 million per year if you want to look at it that way), including after school activities like sports. Can you imagine receiving any information that would make you decide a project does not deliver enough bang for the buck?
Brian Alg

MeKnowNot
Stupe said:

I'm going to respond to that post a little out of order.

First, I don't take anything personally. If someone gets insulted by the opinions of other people, they need to grow up.

Quote:

That is exactly what you are doing. Your opinion is that there should be a measurable ROI on kids being involved in extracurricular activities.

I disagree with that opinion. I think that there are unseen benefits to kids being involved in extracurricular activities. You keep going back to the baseball fields and ignoring that I've said the same thing about Consol and the other types of fields.

With this line of thinking, should the city also provide ample opportunity for kids to participate in other City sponsored sports including, but not limited to: golf, hockey, figure skating, rugby, lacrosse and rowing?

If College Station is to become a true sports mecca why not build and operate dedicated facilities to host other competitive sports such as swimming, volleyball, basketball and cheering?

Stupe
S
I'm not going to get into a Slippery Slope fallacy argument where you just start listing sports that won't have the participation level required to compete.

If there are enough kids interested in participating in a sport, I think that the city should provide opportunity for that sport.

Based on the sports you have listed, you don't check the COCS activities page for athletics.

JP76
So who is going to take the blame for this boondoggle ?

Brian Alg
Stupe said:

If there are enough kids interested in participating in a sport, I think that the city should provide opportunity for that sport.

Is there any limit? If 10 kids want to do competitive indoor skydiving, should the city be expected to fund an iFly franchise?
Brian Alg

Tailgate88
AG
Has a study been done about the cost vs. benefit to the community (to include tourism dollars, hotel revenues, HOT taxes, restaurant spend, etc.) for Veteran's Park? Honest question, I don't know - just wondering if that might give us an idea about how a potential baseball facility might perform. I understand there are a thousand variables but just curious what those numbers look like.

Again, I don't have a dog in the fight but in general, I support anything that helps kids.
Stupe
S
Brian Alg said:

Stupe said:

Is there any limit? If 10 kids want to do competitive indoor skydiving, should the city be expected to fund an iFly franchise?
If it brought in a good ROI, would you support building it.

See....circular arguments are easy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.