Rock Prairie Baseball Fields

36,187 Views | 314 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by MsDoubleD81
phillytex24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hope somebody will investigate the city to make sure they're being truthful.
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
befitter said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

befitter said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

Bob Yancy said:

That's your decision to make on Election Day. As a former enlisted man, an NCO, an employee, a CEO, and a chairman of the board, I have been held personally accountable and I have held my charges personally accountable- just never in a public social media platform where those casting judgement aren't privy to the facts and remain cloaked in anonymity.

Honestly, all the NCOs I know have a thicker skin.
I'm not "after you" but you use the shield of "I'm not going to talk about that" in order to avoid discussion.

I respect you choosing to run for office and be elected. I even more greatly respect you for being on this platform.

Again, let me restate: people create policy, people make decisions, people make mistakes. Why can't this discussion include people's names, that work for or elected by the city and you still stay engaged?

If we can't even mention people's name, what's the point of the discussion?

Humbly
You appear not to be seeking an actual discussion of issues but are looking for Mr. Yancy to throw his colleagues at the city under the bus.

Then you've only recently engaged in the conversation.
Nope. I've been following all along.

Then you have selection bias.
I don't want Bob to throw anyone under the bus. I want ALL on the platform the ability to speak without Bob no longer engaging (my case in point is the last few conversations Bob and I had).
People make policy. If policy is problematic then only people caused the issue, not policy.
Bob Yancy
Thank you.
phillytex24
Bob Yancy said:

This is largely correct, and happened as a result of consultant error and not city hall. Beyond that, I'm very limited in what I can report as we go about the process of salvaging what we can for all of us, the taxpayers. I can only assure you all that is exactly what will be done.

If you want to see the entire presentation and discussion go to CSTX Channel 19 and scroll to time mark 53 minutes and 50 seconds, 53:50.

I know there will be a lot of criticism, I understand that. I signed up for it. Along the way, if you guys have any constructive suggestions on what we do with the site going forward, I'd love to hear it.

Respectfully

If you can't build baseball fields on that site, then you should not be able to build anything on it. It looks like the city just doesn't want this project anymore. I want to know if we're being gaslit to believe the soil is bad just so the city can end the project.
b0ridi
MS08 said:

I've been looking forward to this council meeting to 'get the scoop.' But, I won't hold my breath for anything material to be shared or for any person or group to take the blame. From what I know, to remedy the findings, 40-50' down of additional excavation is required, a more than exorbitant cost, an unimaginable cost.

What's the engineering reason for needing to excavate 50 feet of dirt, or why do baseball fields need such special soil that deep? Not familiar with soil/construction science, so I'm genuinely curious.
trouble
AG
I think it has to do with drainage and such
hopeandrealchange
phillytex24 said:

I hope somebody will investigate the city to make sure they're being truthful.

I think it would be judicious to stop any and all of the development being managed by the city until this question is answered.
As I recall the city has had several projects that have ended poorly and not as originally planned.
MsDoubleD81
AG
phillytex24 said:

Bob Yancy said:

This is largely correct, and happened as a result of consultant error and not city hall. Beyond that, I'm very limited in what I can report as we go about the process of salvaging what we can for all of us, the taxpayers. I can only assure you all that is exactly what will be done.

If you want to see the entire presentation and discussion go to CSTX Channel 19 and scroll to time mark 53 minutes and 50 seconds, 53:50.

I know there will be a lot of criticism, I understand that. I signed up for it. Along the way, if you guys have any constructive suggestions on what we do with the site going forward, I'd love to hear it.

Respectfully

If you can't build baseball fields on that site, then you should not be able to build anything on it. It looks like the city just doesn't want this project anymore. I want to know if we're being gaslit to believe the soil is bad just so the city can end the project.

Curious about this too. They've already built a structure???
Bob Yancy
The small concession stand foundation is on piers and is fine. A portion of the land is fine. The majority is not. No one is being misled. The only reason we halted the project was due to the soil issue, which was misinterpreted as being mainly due to the rainy season by an outside firm.

Respectfully
My opinions are mine and should not be construed as those of city council or staff. I welcome robust debate but will cease communication on any thread in which colleagues or staff are personally criticized. I must refrain from comment on posted agenda items until after meetings are concluded. Bob Yancy 95
Captn_Ag05
AG
Having tough questions for elected officials and wanting to hold them accountable for how our public, tax-payer dollars are used is important and necessary. Having very little information and coming on a message board and making accusations and inaccurate statements is not beneficial.

I would hope all of the people weighing in on this would at least take the time to watch the council workshop on the the issue before slinging accusations.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I've already put in my pitch for a dog park like Mutts for the space given the concession stand construction and green space.

But, I hope whatever the use is turns out to be something that the community can benefit from regularly. If the desire for Midtown is for it to be a "downtown" city center type space, make it a place that community members want to be regularly. A baseball field built for out of town tournaments wouldn't have accomplished that. I think this could end up being a blessing if a smart decision is made on what to do with the land going forward.

I also think that there is a need for more baseball fields for local kids to use. That demand is just going to grow as the population grows, so hopefully there will still be a focus on building fields for locals at an alternative location. Or provide a tax incentive or try a partnership with someone like the Big League Dreams people to build a complex in CS that can be used by local kids and host tournaments. I'd argue that a group like that is much better equipped to manage a high volume of ball parks than the city.

https://mansfield.bigleaguedreams.com/
spicyitalian
AG
Bob,

I have a suggestion for that area. Something QUIET! There are a lot of people who have lived out here for decades because of the remoteness and peace. Well that's shot.

Dog park seems like the least offensive suggestion thus far in this thread.

Respectfully,
Another Taxpayer
MsDoubleD81
AG
I saw Mutts in Austin. It looked like a restaurant, not just a dog park

https://muttscantina.com/tx-austin/bar-grill/

My niece's son played in a tournament at the fields in Franklin. They said they were surprised College Station didn't have something equitable.
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
spicyitalian said:

Bob,

I have a suggestion for that area. Something QUIET! There are a lot of people who have lived out here for decades because of the remoteness and peace. Well that's shot.

Dog park seems like the least offensive suggestion thus far in this thread.

Respectfully,
Another Taxpayer

I understand that bird watching is quiet…and a possible revenue generator…
TAMU1990
AG
Bob Yancy said:

The small concession stand foundation is on piers and is fine. A portion of the land is fine. The majority is not. No one is being misled. The only reason we halted the project was due to the soil issue, which was misinterpreted as being mainly due to the rainy season by an outside firm.

Respectfully
It still doesn't resolve the problem we have with not enough fields for baseball in this town, We have too many softball fields. Some of them should be converted over to baseball.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Bob Yancy said:

Respectfully

Thank you for the explanation.
Bob Yancy
This seems like a really good idea.
MeKnowNot
Bob Yancy said:

This seems like a really good idea.
When you go from "park" to Mutts, it seems like the City is going from public use to business use. What position is the City in to pick the business and/or share in that risk?

Why not just sell the property and let private enterprise determine the highest and best use?

If Mutt's is interested, sell Mutt's the property and hope that they are successful above and beyond all expectations!

Hornbeck
AG
Bob Yancy said:

Thank you.

Thank you for engaging with us miscreants. We always have a good debate on civic matters. Glad to have you on here.
ukbb2003
Captn_Ag05 said:

I've already put in my pitch for a dog park like Mutts for the space given the concession stand construction and green space.

But, I hope whatever the use is turns out to be something that the community can benefit from regularly. If the desire for Midtown is for it to be a "downtown" city center type space, make it a place that community members want to be regularly. A baseball field built for out of town tournaments wouldn't have accomplished that. I think this could end up being a blessing if a smart decision is made on what to do with the land going forward.

I also think that there is a need for more baseball fields for local kids to use. That demand is just going to grow as the population grows, so hopefully there will still be a focus on building fields for locals at an alternative location. Or provide a tax incentive or try a partnership with someone like the Big League Dreams people to build a complex in CS that can be used by local kids and host tournaments. I'd argue that a group like that is much better equipped to manage a high volume of ball parks than the city.

https://mansfield.bigleaguedreams.com/

If you don't think those fields would have been used by local kids, you are mistaken. Those fields would have been filled just about every night of the week for at least 9 months out of the year. Local teams would play in the tournaments as well, not just out of town teams.

I will agree with you that the best way to do it is with the city providing tax incentives on the land to a private entity and letting that entity build and maintain the facilities.
BiochemAg97
AG
Bob,

What I'm hearing is CoCS still has a need for baseball fields. Rather than redirecting the funding for the baseball facilities to something else, I would suggest using the funds to continue to pursue baseball fields. That is a separate question from what to do with the site you already have.

We lived in Round Rock when my daughter played softball. They knew how to do softball/baseball there. 5 youth softball fields, added an adult softball complex about the time my daughter stopped playing softball. Also close to 20 baseball fields. A lot of weekend tournaments, some for the local rec leagues, but lots for travel ball too. But even the local rec leagues drew people to the nearby restaurants.

Round Rock and College Station aren't that different in size, although round rock did have a lot of other Austin suburbs surrounding it and plenty of kids from neighboring towns that played in the local round rock leagues.
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
What is the CORE function of the City of College Station?

"Health, safety, and welfare…is the basic function of the city," Mayor John Nichols says.
https://wtaw.com/college-station-mayor-john-nichols-on-wtaw-15/

The City of College Station has basic, core functions that need to be addressed before more baseball fields.
BiochemAg97
AG
HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

"Health, safety, and welfare…is the basic function of the city," Mayor John Nichols says.

The City of College Station has basic, core functions that need to be addressed before more baseball fields.

Some would say outdoor recreational facilities including for youth and adult sports would contribute to the health of the citizens.
Stupe
S
BiochemAg97 said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

Some would say outdoor recreational facilities including for youth and adult sports would contribute to the health of the citizens.

I think that it covers all three.
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

Some might say that but those people can find already existing recreational facilities for their health.

Also, you are massaging the word "health" to fit your narrative. Remember, HWY6 runs both ways, if you want Round Rock, the highway will take you back.
befitter
HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

befitter said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

befitter said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

Bob Yancy said:

That's your decision to make on Election Day. As a former enlisted man, an NCO, an employee, a CEO, and a chairman of the board, I have been held personally accountable and I have held my charges personally accountable- just never in a public social media platform where those casting judgement aren't privy to the facts and remain cloaked in anonymity.

Honestly, all the NCOs I know have a thicker skin.
I'm not "after you" but you use the shield of "I'm not going to talk about that" in order to avoid discussion.

I respect you choosing to run for office and be elected. I even more greatly respect you for being on this platform.

Again, let me restate: people create policy, people make decisions, people make mistakes. Why can't this discussion include people's names, that work for or elected by the city and you still stay engaged?

If we can't even mention people's name, what's the point of the discussion?

Humbly
You appear not to be seeking an actual discussion of issues but are looking for Mr. Yancy to throw his colleagues at the city under the bus.

Then you've only recently engaged in the conversation.
Nope. I've been following all along.

Then you have selection bias.
I don't want Bob to throw anyone under the bus. I want ALL on the platform the ability to speak without Bob no longer engaging (my case in point is the last few conversations Bob and I had).
People make policy. If policy is problematic then only people caused the issue, not policy.
He was engaging with everyone. He simply wasn't going to place blame on individuals on this forum as you wished for him to do.
BiochemAg97
AG
HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

BiochemAg97 said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

Some might say that but those people can find already existing recreational facilities for their health.

Also, you are massaging the word "health" to fit your narrative. Remember, HWY6 runs both ways, if you want Round Rock, the highway will take you back.

So what is your definition of health? Are you limiting it to just not poisoning the citizens by having a functional water and sewer system and providing EMS service?

You seem to imply that CoCS has not addressed the core functions and should be focused on those instead of baseball fields. Care to enlighten us on what heath safety and welfare issues you see that have not been addressed and should be addressed before expanding the definitions of health safety and welfare to include baseball facilities?

As for highway 6 running both ways, I'm good. My kid is grown and I don't need any baseball/softball fields. I just used it as an example of the value such facilities could bring to the community. However, if you think CoCS is not adequately meeting your basic needs, then maybe we can help you find another community that does. *wink*
Stupe
S
Quote:

As for highway 6 running both ways, I'm good. My kid is grown and I don't need any baseball/softball fields. I just used it as an example of the value such facilities could bring to the community. However, if you think CoCS is not adequately meeting your basic needs, then maybe we can help you find another community that does. *wink*
Same here. My kids are out of that age group and I was never involved in girls softball. I still think that both types of fields are badly needed for those kids.
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

BiochemAg97 said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

So what is your definition of health? Are you limiting it to just not poisoning the citizens by having a functional water and sewer system and providing EMS service?

You seem to imply that CoCS has not addressed the core functions and should be focused on those instead of baseball fields. Care to enlighten us on what heath safety and welfare issues you see that have not been addressed and should be addressed before expanding the definitions of health safety and welfare to include baseball facilities?

I'm good. No wink needed.
farmersfight
AG
Please...redirect funds for a baseball complex to another area. Like others have mentioned, there are lots of kids here that play baseball, many of them tournament ball which means weekend travel. Hearing the news about the failure of the planned complex was for sure a gut punch and let down for many.

Out of all the years we've played tournament ball, in the spring only ONE was held at Bachmann. We did fall ball at Bombers ballpark, but that was inner league play, games only on Sundays.

One season, every weekend was spent in Franklin, awesome park. Walking trails, fishing pond, soccer fields, playgrounds...it was done right. It's a huge asset to the town, and hosts hundreds of players and their families each weekend.

ALL of our money goes out of town because either there isn't a director that can manage to put on a series of tournaments here, or leagues like Premier and Five Tool don't want to come here because there is a limited number of options (or they don't like what they see). Some of these tournaments, we gripe/joke about having to play other LOCAL teams OUT OF TOWN. It'd be great to have something here that would consistently bring in families from out of town. It would increase weekend visitors and at the same time fill in the many gaps when A&M doesn't have a large event planned.

Examples of places done correctly:
Franklin Community Ranch - best IMO
Scrapyard in Conroe
Black Star Athletics in Kyle

edit to add: while he'll grow up and possibly lose interest or age out of playing ball, I would still support athletic facilities for these kids.
Bob Yancy
Thank you. This is helpful.
Jbob04
AG
Agree with farmers fight above. If you want to do it right, go look at The Ranch in Franklin. Absolutely beautiful facility.
ukbb2003
farmersfight said:

Please...redirect funds for a baseball complex to another area. Like others have mentioned, there are lots of kids here that play baseball, many of them tournament ball which means weekend travel. Hearing the news about the failure of the planned complex was for sure a gut punch and let down for many.

Out of all the years we've played tournament ball, in the spring only ONE was held at Bachmann. We did fall ball at Bombers ballpark, but that was inner league play, games only on Sundays.

One season, every weekend was spent in Franklin, awesome park. Walking trails, fishing pond, soccer fields, playgrounds...it was done right. It's a huge asset to the town, and hosts hundreds of players and their families each weekend.

ALL of our money goes out of town because either there isn't a director that can manage to put on a series of tournaments here, or leagues like Premier and Five Tool don't want to come here because there is a limited number of options (or they don't like what they see). Some of these tournaments, we gripe/joke about having to play other LOCAL teams OUT OF TOWN. It'd be great to have something here that would consistently bring in families from out of town. It would increase weekend visitors and at the same time fill in the many gaps when A&M doesn't have a large event planned.

Examples of places done correctly:
Franklin Community Ranch - best IMO
Scrapyard in Conroe
Black Star Athletics in Kyle

edit to add: while he'll grow up and possibly lose interest or age out of playing ball, I would still support athletic facilities for these kids.

Yep, we are involved with the Twelve program. Last year , we traveled to Franklin EVERY weekend we played….just to play other teams in the Twelve program.
farmersfight
AG

Franklin Ranch
Captn_Ag05
AG
I was a little surprised that one of the council members seemed to make a comment during the workshop that there were already a lot of ballparks in College Station and wanted to look for other options.

Seems out of touch with reality.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.