Rock Prairie Baseball Fields

36,278 Views | 314 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by MsDoubleD81
SCHTICK00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Project looks abandoned. Has the city given a reason for scuttling the park?
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
SCHTICK00 said:

Project looks abandoned. Has the city given a reason for scuttling the park?

Last I saw out there with respect to work being done was some work building the outline of a foundation. Not sure if they poured concrete. Seen a few CoCS trucks pulling out of there occasionally as well.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I've heard it's on hold or canceled due to extensive subgrade issues.
Brian Alg
I need to look more into it, but the prospect of scrapping the project is pretty exciting. The city didn't do the analysis Bob Yancy is talking about being the first step toward his convention center. That's what makes me skeptical about the talk about doing the analysis for his convention center. If taxpayers could get back $15+ million by taking the opportunity to correct 2022 council's mistake, that would be a big win.
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government and Moderator Restraint
Buford T. Justice
AG
I'm not a civil engineer, but the location appears to be a low spot along the landscape, and likely holds a lot of water.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
Chris98
AG
These fields have tremendous revenue potential. Just check out Premier in Tomball, Franklin, Baseball USA, etc, on any given weekend during Fall/ Summer. With CS central to Houston, Austin, SA, and Dallas, I guarantee Perfect Game, VTool, PBR, etc will be chomping at the bit to hold some premier tourneys. You pull in 50-100 teams, for 4+ day tourney, that's a pretty good economic impact
Brian Alg
If you run actual numbers and try to figure out what this will pull in with respect to HOT, sales tax, etc. it will be lucky to cover operating costs. Believing it will get anywhere near covering the now budgeted $23 million in capital expenditures to build 4 fields requires a detachment from reality that only a government with taxing authority can pull off.

That is why CS did no such analysis before moving forward with the project. It is a terrible idea.
Brian Alg

UhOhNoAgTag
There is what appears to be a really nice house being built right next to where the ball fields. Any idea what that is?
Polska
AG
I was wondering that too; that house seems out of place almost, looks really nice
UhOhNoAgTag
I figured it was a farmer who made money selling land and decided to keep a portion for himself!!!! There is also a public hearing for zoning change request sign near it. Wonder about that too.
Captn_Ag05
AG
It still doesn't seem clear. Are the ballparks happening or not? Did it get scrapped after the voters rejected phase two in the election last fall?

I know Rusty with KBTX never reads this board, but a story on the status of the parks would be good. They could do a comparison on the two midtowns and talk about what Bryan is doing (new bowling/movie theater, tennis courts, board walk, potential parking garage, etc.) vs. College Station midtown (some homes and apartments and maybe baseball fields?).
Brian Alg
Voters rejected 4 fields (phase 2). Before the vote, city council approved spending 16 or 20 or now 23 million dollars to build 4 other fields (phase 1). The slow progress has me excited that they will scrap the project altogether. But that is super wishful thinking on my part. They are probably going to build the 4 fields.
Brian Alg

Chris98
AG
Unless your familiar with HS tourney ball, you probably should not speak in regard to projected economic impact. Most of these tournaments are "stay to play", which requires teams to book a certain number of local assigned hotels. Most of these tourneys are full. Veterans, Central, along with other local parks/ fields have had great success with softball, soccer, flag football, etc. Youth sports have become big business. College Station might as well get their piece of the pie.
MsDoubleD81
AG
My nephew is on a select (?) baseball team and recently played in Franklin. There were teams there from all over.

Edit to add link

https://g.co/kgs/eDEZGZ
ukbb2003
Brian Alg said:

If you run actual numbers and try to figure out what this will pull in with respect to HOT, sales tax, etc. it will be lucky to cover operating costs. Believing it will get anywhere near covering the now budgeted $23 million in capital expenditures to build 4 fields requires a detachment from reality that only a government with taxing authority can pull off.

That is why CS did no such analysis before moving forward with the project. It is a terrible idea.

I will partially agree with you that the city should not be building these fields. Whenever contractors see "government job" the bid skyrockets.

However, the fields are absolutely needed. There are no where near enough fields in B/CS to accommodate the demand. Youth baseball is big business, see the examples of other facilities listed above.

The best scenario is a private entity builds and runs the facility. The building cost would be significantly less and not on taxpayer dime. The city could however offer assistance in the form of tax rebates for the land cost.
SCHTICK00
AG
Brian Alg said:

Voters rejected 4 fields (phase 2). Before the vote, city council approved spending 16 or 20 or now 23 million dollars to build 4 other fields (phase 1). The slow progress has me excited that they will scrap the project altogether. But that is super wishful thinking on my part. They are probably going to build the 4 fields.

So throwing away the millions that have already been spent has you excited? Weird take
MeKnowNot
SCHTICK00 said:

Brian Alg said:

So throwing away the millions that have already been spent has you excited? Weird take
it does not look like they have made very progress at the site, how did that amount of work already cost millions?

My buddy with a bulldozer could have moved that much dirt in a weekend for the price of the diesel and a couple of cases of beer. He would have also left the site in better condition to not trap water in case it starts to rain.
MeKnowNot

Awesome. Please explain what they have already spent millions on.

Please explain.
SCHTICK00
AG
Sewer, water and storm drain appear to all be in. A lot more dirt has been moved than your buddy could handle in a weekend. A slab has been poured for what appears to be bathrooms or concession or both. Architecture and engineering fees should be substantial. A general contractor setup shop out there for over 6 months. So yeah, millions has been spent
MeKnowNot
Great, we can disagree that the amount spent so far is reasonable, but you have convinced me that WE have spent a lot of money on this project.

Where did the contractor go? Where is all the equipment?

Why is the contractor not moving dirt during the absolutely driest part of the year?

On the Visit College Station website, the City is advertising that this new ballpark will be open in 2024. Do you believe that's reasonable?

In my experience, construction delays equal cost over-runs. What does your expertise guesstimate say this $23 million project will eventually cost with the change-orders?
SCHTICK00
AG
Great questions and why I asked in the first place. Being a highly visible project that appears to be mothballed, I figured there would be an explanation out there.
trouble
AG
Article in the buzzard today says there's soil issues

https://theeagle.com/news/local/construction-of-texas-independence-ballpark-halted-due-to-soil-issues/article_b50d85e4-3170-11ee-85ca-2f9b067cad9a.html#tracking-source=home-top-story
MsDoubleD81
AG
Hmmmmm. But not saying what. Guess we have to wait for the city council meeting on the 24th. City staff investigating and Vaughn deferred questions back to city.

I drove by there yesterday and a Drake Environment sign was posted. Didn't get out of the car, but wondered if that's normal?
Buford T. Justice
AG
Again, I'm not a civil engineer, but wouldn't the soil samples be taken before beginning the project?
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
trouble
AG
One would think so
BiochemAg97
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

Hmmmmm. But not saying what. Guess we have to wait for the city council meeting on the 24th. City staff investigating and Vaughn deferred questions back to city.

I drove by there yesterday and a Drake Environment sign was posted. Didn't get out of the car, but wondered if that's normal?

It is possible that Vaughn uses Drake to do their permits. There are rules about making the SWPPP publicly accessible, and typical solution is to have signage on site. Also, has to be there from start to finish. Finished defined as the soil is stabilized, generally once grass is established.

Seems early for Drake to have come in and pull a permit to deal with the soil issue.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Thank you.
trouble
AG
Hmmm, apparently soil testing was done.....20 years ago.

As far as I'm being told, they were not repeated. Someone should look into that.

You know, since there haven't been any significant weather events in the last 20 years that would impact soil integrity.
officerfred
Environmental issues have the project scrapped and / or reduced in scope.

Millions have been spent to date. Another BIG oops by COCS. Why arent they talking about it? Isnt transparency part of the council's strategic plan?

Next up......a conference center that no one wants or needs. Imagine a conference center in a place with virtually no airline service in a small market like BCS.

The total budget for Texas Independence Ballpark in College Station is $42 million. As of August 2023, the city has spent $26.5 million on the project. The remaining $15.5 million is expected to be spent on the final phase of construction, which is scheduled to be completed in 2024.
Background on Ballpark:

The following is a breakdown of the budget for Texas Independence Ballpark:
  • Construction: $38 million
  • Land acquisition: $2 million
  • Professional fees: $2 million
The city has financed the construction of Texas Independence Ballpark through a combination of bonds and grants. The city issued $30 million in bonds to finance the project, and it received $10 million in grants from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and the Brazos Valley Community Foundation.
The city is expected to begin collecting revenue from Texas Independence Ballpark in 2024. The park is expected to generate $1 million in annual revenue from rental fees, concessions, and parking.
Here are some additional details about Texas Independence Ballpark:
  • The park will feature eight baseball/softball fields, batting cages, and concession stands.
  • The park is located at 7300 Rock Prairie Road East in College Station.
  • The park is expected to be completed in 2024.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Dummy here...what are they looking for in soil testing?
trouble
AG
I can't speak to the finer points because my background is healthcare.

This is a pretty good article: https://www.familyhandyman.com/article/soil-testing-construction/
BQ_90
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

Again, I'm not a civil engineer, but wouldn't the soil samples be taken before beginning the project?
that money is being saved to use on the study that shows the city needs to build a convention center
spicyitalian
AG
UhOhNoAgTag said:

I figured it was a farmer who made money selling land and decided to keep a portion for himself!!!! There is also a public hearing for zoning change request sign near it. Wonder about that too.
I live very close to both construction projects. The house is someone with too many dollars. The zoning change is to PDD probably from R. Planned develop district from rural.

Yes I hope the ballpark completely fails. They are shoehorning all this tacky crap right in my backyard.
MsDoubleD81
AG
So it belongs to the residential developer wanting to be "King of Midtown"? Par for the course for WSP.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Thanks! I was wondering if there was going to be a Poltergeist situation!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.