Hilton renovation

5,212 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by MyNameIsJeff
BaitShack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Go easy on me, I'm not into construction. Is this scaffolding or is it decorative?

BrazosWifi
I think it is decorative. I have seen similar on other hotels while traveling.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
EliteElectric
It's certainly hideous, but the attachment points to the building look permanent, so maybe it's architectural. If so yuck.
AggieBaseball06
AG
I assumed they were putting balconies on the rooms but I'm no engineer or architect.
AggiePhil
AG
AggieBaseball06 said:

I assumed they were putting balconies on the rooms but I'm no engineer or architect.
No, that'd require cutting doors into the walls of each and every room, which they aren't doing. It's basically just a decorative addition to alter the facade.
AggieBaseball06
AG
According to an Eagle article from a few months ago, they are "building a steel structure to add depth."
BaitShack
AG
MyNameIsJeff
AG
That's one expensive galvanized steel scaffold.
Captn_Ag05
AG
So far this is definitely a case of the actual looking nowhere near as nice as the plans.
Bad Poster
Captn_Ag05 said:

So far this is definitely a case of the actual looking nowhere near as nice as the plans.

The plans look like **** too? Who thought this looked good?
meezermom
My daughter refers to the Hilton as "the cruise ship" - I don't think there's any way they can make that place look better.
agnerd
AG
If they're going for any environmental certifications, they will probably get credit for shading the windows and reducing energy costs.
Also, they're following current architecture trends of lots of horizontal and vertical lines like every new fast food joint.

It will probably look dated in 10-20 years when preferences change again.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
It's typically easier to build things with horizontal and vertical lines.
Broncos
It looks a lot better than it did.
Hittag1492
AG
Broncos said:

t looks a lot better than it did. Also painted it a fresher/brighter color. They did the best they could-actually does look much better in person. And it does appear the additions "shade" the windows which likely does help a bit on energy use as well.
techno-ag
AG
I just remember when we thought we hit the big time cause a Hilton opened up here.
Russell Bradleys Toupee
Tookieclothespin
AG
It's both.

To be clear, it's "scaffolding" as decoration. Or perhaps scaffolding-inspired decoration.

Kind of like how columns are meant to support **** but people just toss them in/on houses to be "fancy."

FJB
GDP
Broncos said:

Agree that the old Hilton was not very pretty but it did just blend into the background.
The renovations look like scaffolding to the vast majority of my friends and me. Not an upgrade.
And now it doesn't just blend into the background.

I would love to know who approved those plans and thought that would be a great new look.

JMac03
AG
I don't like the scaffolding look. I cringe every time I see or. Can't believe that is the final look.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Has anyone been to the new rooftop bar there yet?
Aggie
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Has anyone been to the new rooftop bar there yet?

We went once, ehh

It's ok
Dead atmosphere, no music or nothing. Literally was like a library

They can't play music or anything because there are rooms right next to the bar.
The front door to the bar is right next to a hotel room. Maybe there was no option but they literally put the bar at the end of a guest room hallway . Bathrooms to the bar, lol go back out the front door and they are right in front of rooms.

Setting yourself up to potentially disturb a lot of guests

ags4rocks
AG
It wasn't to bad. Drinks need to be worked on. We went on opening night, and maybe they weren't ready. Has a great view otherwise. The food was just ok too. I will go back and try again. It was Bama weekend so just a little bit going on!
AG
Came here to look for this thread. Was in town for the first time this year and came to the stoplight and thought to myself that they must be renovating the exterior with all that scaffolding, then with a closer look I realize it was permanent. Looks horrendous.
BQ_90
AG
1939 said:

Came here to look for this thread. Was in town for the first time this year and came to the stoplight and thought to myself that they must be renovating the exterior with all that scaffolding, then with a closer look I realize it was permanent. Looks horrendous.
I see it everyday going to work and think the same thing.

Whoever was the architect gets a big fail
TyHolden
AG
BQ_90 said:

1939 said:

people coming into town won't care. they'll pay the extra $50-75 per night that it took and not look back.

btw...when are they opening up sundance there again? i had some good times back in the day.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
BQ_90 said:

1939 said:

I think some type of aluminum shade structures (think what's around the Zachry Engineering Building) are what they should've gone with. All that galvanized steel looks like it should be in a chemical plant down at the coast or something.

I keep thinking they missed their mark and it didn't turn out like the renderings, but the renderings don't look any better. I think the contractor actually nailed the look they were going for, it was just a poor design.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.