CS City Council Agrees To Bring Back Consideration Of A City Owned Convention Center

10,860 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Bunk Moreland
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Thoughts?

https://wtaw.com/college-station-city-council-agrees-to-bring-back-consideration-of-a-city-owned-convention-center/
Quote:

13 years ago, the College Station city council tabled the idea of a city owned convention center.

During both of the council's May meetings, renewed interest was expressed.

Councilman Dennis Maloney, who was on the governing body when the center was tabled in March of 2010, said during the May 15 meeting "By God it's time we had a convention center. Everyone on this council is supportive of it. We need it. We've got a space for it. We need a convention center."
UmustBKidding
Think since i have lived in college station they have only committed to six different locations and never made it happen. And they made so much on the land they invested in on holleman and at chimney hill so their track record has been spectacular. I was hopeful when A&M built the hotel and conference center they would finally stop their conference center insanity. But o guess i was mistaken.
EBrazosAg
AG
Chimney Hill and Wolf Pen Creek live forever! Probably can put a YMCA into the convention center as well!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BCSWguru
"by god" lol.
Tumble Weed
By God, if the Catholics can build one we can too!
Captn_Ag05
AG
Two potential locations:

1) College Station midtown to try get some development out there where there has been little to none of the commercial activity they expected, or

2) Northgate area and fill it with hundreds of toilets to really stick it to the people of Bryan.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Two potential locations:

1) College Station midtown to try get some development out there where there has been little to none of the commercial activity they expected, or

2) Northgate area and fill it with hundreds of toilets to really stick it to the people of Bryan.
If we select the second option - I say we call it "Operation tutu" for the emphasis on #2 and that school down in Austin.
555-PINF
Uh oh. What dilapidated buildings need purchasing? Is Post Oak close to going fully under, yet?
techno-ag
AG
I was for the city building one back in the day. But now A&M has a conference center, Bryan has Legends Event Center and the Expo Center. I don't think College Station really needs one anymore.
Russell Bradleys Toupee
techno-ag said:

I was for the city building one back in the day. But now A&M has a conference center, Bryan has Legends Event Center and the Expo Center. I don't think College Station really needs one anymore.
Must be a council critter that wants their legacy constructed before 'retiring'. Crompton Convention Center & Parking has a nice ring to it (CCCP for short).

TyHolden
AG
They could put it next to the Dude Perfect coliseum going up next to Santa's Wonderland. I hope they put in a heli-pad so I can just fly in because parking will really suck around Christmas and basketball season.

staff please don't ban me for saying suck.
EBrazosAg
AG
That's awesome- but 101 post in 8 days ? My bad… misread Mar for May. Maybe the best handle ever referring to a Bryan mayor btw….
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Independence H-D
I will support the convention center if the People's Republic of College Station agrees to give up any future diverging diamonds, traffic circles and MEDIANS.
BCS-Ag
Maybe they should first focus on utilizing the A&M facilities that were supposed to be comped in Exchange for the $14M COCS put up for the Kyle field expansion.
doubledog
Taj Mahal IV... Build it and the tax payers will revolt.
AggieCVQ
Man traffic circle near tower point works fine must be a student problem.
PS3D
Independence H-D said:

I will support the convention center if the People's Republic of College Station agrees to give up any future diverging diamonds, traffic circles and MEDIANS.

Pretty sure a lot of that is TxDOT. Also not being able to navigate a DDI is a sign of...well, it wouldn't be polite to say.
ags4rocks
Yeah better take that up with TxDot.. CoCS has no say on those roads, they are all state highways… supposedly the medians are part of TxDOT safety plans.. I agree they do make things difficult..
Justin2010
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Thoughts?

https://wtaw.com/college-station-city-council-agrees-to-bring-back-consideration-of-a-city-owned-convention-center/
Quote:

13 years ago, the College Station city council tabled the idea of a city owned convention center.

During both of the council's May meetings, renewed interest was expressed.

Councilman Dennis Maloney, who was on the governing body when the center was tabled in March of 2010, said during the May 15 meeting "By God it's time we had a convention center. Everyone on this council is supportive of it. We need it. We've got a space for it. We need a convention center."

Texas A&M is College Station's convention center.
whoop1995
AG
I thought that was what the Macy's was for?
etmydst
AG
wrong
Fbuckie
Place it in the Macys spot with parking garage where Bealls was. Sparks foot traffic back to the mall.
Bob Yancy
I guess my question is, how big are we going to get in Brazos County and still not have a full-sized Convention Center? 400,000 population? Half million? We have an incredible inventory of hotels but they stay largely empty during the week. I mean the type of Convention Center that can accommodate medical equipment shows, industry groups, hundreds of display booths, etc. Not even our beloved Texas A&M has that. Remember we have an approved and funded interstate coming.

Anyway, that's why I asked for it to be on the city's strategic plan and to be placed on the agenda. Right now I think it's important to look at, just look at, without spending a lot of taxpayer dollars.

My $.02 as one member of council, speaking for no one but myself. Thanks.
trouble
AG
Bob Yancy said:

I guess my question is, how big are we going to get in Brazos County and still not have a full-sized Convention Center? 400,000 population? Half million? We have an incredible inventory of hotels but they stay largely empty during the week. I mean the type of Convention Center that can accommodate medical equipment shows, industry groups, hundreds of display booths, etc. Not even our beloved Texas A&M has that. Remember we have an approved and funded interstate coming.

Anyway, that's why I asked for it to be on the city's strategic plan and to be placed on the agenda. Right now I think it's important to look at, just look at, without spending a lot of taxpayer dollars.

We've been hearing about an interstate since I moved here 30 years ago. When?

Having a convention center isn't going to just magically draw conventions here. Is there a plan for attracting such things?
Bob Yancy
Attached is a link to the current I-14 map. It's still in the planning stage. Yes, I agree conventions won't just come. We'll need to go get the business, if a Convention Center happens. Yes, there is a plan. The city has new funding allocated and new staff assigned to accomplish increased tourism and trade shows. I hope this is helpful.

https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot/get-involved/statewide/i-14-system-in-texas/050923-i-14-system-in-texas-map.pdf
PS3D
Fbuckie said:

Place it in the Macys spot with parking garage where Bealls was. Sparks foot traffic back to the mall.
To replace Bealls they probably need a new full entrance, probably where the "ghost anchor" is. But having it at the mall is a really good idea if they can get CBL onboard and coax some winners in.
wareagle044
Whatever attracts another airline and airport expansion. Driving to Houston isn't awful but not always that convenient.
TyHolden
AG
We need Comic Con and a Cowchella.
whoop1995
AG
Bob Yancy said:

Yall want to host conventions and have people drive 1 1/2 hours to college station from Houston? Next big ticket item is an airport expansion. I also guess we are going to need a bar scenario with adults only and no college kids. Texas A&M could host a trade show with hundreds of booths if it wanted to. In the spring/summer Kyle field and reed arena could work in tandem to host massive shows.

Can y'all name ten conventions that would come here? Does anyone have any interest in coming to college station for a convention? If not, you are in the if you build it they will come scenario.

I am sure Texas A&M hotel is trying the same thing for conventions and conferences of small to medium size but they can expand to Kyle field and reed arena.

This seems like a we want money but we will have to spend money to get it with no promises scenario. Seen it before a hundred times.

Russell Bradleys Toupee
Bob Yancy said:

Attached is a link to the current I-14 map. It's still in the planning stage. Yes, I agree conventions won't just come. We'll need to go get the business, if a Convention Center happens. Yes, there is a plan. The city has new funding allocated and new staff assigned to accomplish increased tourism and trade shows. I hope this is helpful.

https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot/get-involved/statewide/i-14-system-in-texas/050923-i-14-system-in-texas-map.pdf

IMHO, back when hotel occupancy taxes were levied, city governments suddenly felt they were in the tourism business instead of the 'stewards of tax dollars' business. Now the mindset of city officials far and wide seems to be centered on, "how can we spend HOT money in order to bring in MORE HOT money" - thus the drive to create ways to fill up hotel rooms trumps the responsibility of serving citizens. Hotel occupancy taxes are the root of it all and the reason for it all - is the easiest way to raise money without raising taxes in order to, ultimately, grow government.

Q) why do we need new ball fields?
A) to fill up hotel rooms and generate more HOT money.

Q) why do we need a convention center?
A) to fill up hotel rooms and generate more HOT money.

Always follow the money.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Bob Yancy said:

I do appreciate you coming on here. Pretty brave since we tend to hate everything on here.
trouble
AG
There isn't even a timeline available yet.
Bob Yancy
I'm new to Texags. Had an account before but never used it. Y'all make some really good points here, albeit a little edgy. :-) That's ok. Unvarnished opinions fine by me.
wareagle044
If we could some how swing Delta Airlines and an ATL - CLL direct flight - we'd be in business or possibly a Southwest Airlines Birmingham to CLL direct flight - but ATL would be my golden cow for Easterwood.

Either of those would probably only gain traction during football season - but maybe spring sports could sustain them and attract attention to CS needed for a convention center
Tailgate88
AG

So.....45 between Huntsville and Madisonville will also be I-14, then runs along or near the current Hwy 21 route from Madisonville to Bryan, then north on 6 route to Hearne, then west to Milano, up to Cameron, and on in to Temple.

Some day.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.