A&M Hensel Park Shooter to be Sentenced This Week

2,791 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by lethalninja
lethalninja
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.kbtx.com/2020/11/03/hensel-park-shooting-facing-new-charges-higher-bond/

He pled guilty without an agreement on January 27th and his sentencing hearing starts on Thursday. He's facing up to 99 years
Smeghead4761
Given that he shot at a deputy constable, the guy's lucky he's still above ground. I'm pretty sure it would have been ruled justified if the deputy had shot the guy, but he recognized that the gun had jammed.
lethalninja
Have you ever seen a $20,000 or lower bond for shooting at a police officer? That's what his bond was before it was increased.
Smeghead4761
lethalninja said:

Have you ever seen a $20,000 or lower bond for shooting at a police officer? That's what his bond was before it was increased.
I don't keep track, but that does seem awfully low. Especially since the bond on each of the two counts of Deadly Conduct (Discharging a Firearm) was $250,000.
lethalninja
It's ironic that his least serious charges have the highest bond and his most serious charge has the lowest bond.
Smeghead4761
I believe the two counts of Deadly Conduct are for the two shots he fired at the deputy, both of which missed. At least one hit one of the buildings in the Garden Apartments.

Might be some element of it the judge applying some "course correction" with the second set of charges.
lethalninja
https://www.kbtx.com/2020/10/18/hensel-park-shooting-suspect-released-on-bail/

This article says he fired four shots at the deputy
Smeghead4761
Well, I know they found the impact of two, which is probably why there were two charges.
lethalninja
He's technically eligible for five to ten years probation, but there's no way that's happening.
CSMC2014
I'm the deputy he shot at four times striking my patrol car 2-3 times with other shots striking a nearby parked car & dorm building. Before that, he shot an innocent person twice in the park who miraculously survived. There was no need for this senseless violence. We live in a very caring community who will help anyone who asks. Constable Brian Bachmann was shot & killed for no reason. Several more local officers in the last few years have been shot & injured or killed. Not to mention the gun violence escalating in the public. The punishment should be very interesting.
Hornbeck
Thank you for your service to our community.

Agreed that the amount of violence in the area seems to be escalating. I hope the punishment is harsh enough to send a message.
lethalninja
He's facing 5 to 99 years or life (or five to ten years probation, but that's definitely not happening). He'll have to serve half of his sentence before being eligible for parole, but if he gets 60 to 99 years or life, he'll be eligible for parole after thirty years. He's also facing up to a $10,000 fine on each of the four charges.
Love Gun
Didnt he get that stupid low bail and bond out, only for a smarter judge to come in later and rearrest him and give him a higher bail?

I'm surprised no one, cop or otherwise, smoked that dude that day.
**** Joe Biden
maroon barchetta
Love Gun said:

Didnt he get that stupid low bail and bond out, only for a smarter judge to come in later and rearrest him and give him a higher bail?

I'm surprised no one, cop or otherwise, smoked that dude that day.

Username may or may not check out.

Unclear.
lethalninja
Yeah, he was originally charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon ($30,000 bond) and aggravated assault on a public servant ($20,000 bond) and released on $50,000 bond, then he was rearrested two weeks later on two counts of deadly conduct from the same incident and given a $250,000 bond on each charge, in addition to his previous bond ($550,000 bond total). He's been in jail since his second arrest.
Hornbeck
Nobody wanted to come up with 50Gs?!? Shocking.
lethalninja
He's been in jail since October 30, 2020, so he'll have two and a half years of credit towards his sentence.
lethalninja
He got 25 years for aggravated assault on a public servant, twenty years for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon (the maximum), and ten years for each count of deadly conduct (the maximum). All of the sentences will be served at the same time, so he was sentenced to 25 years, not 65. He's eligible for parole after serving half of his sentence (including credit for time served), so he'll be eligible for parole in a little under ten years. His prosecutors were asking for 25 years (out of a maximum 99 years or life) and his lawyer was asking for ten years probation (the maximum amount of probation).
Smeghead4761
Apparently the defense attorney thought he was in Austin or Houston.
lethalninja
Hornbeck said:

Thank you for your service to our community.

Agreed that the amount of violence in the area seems to be escalating. I hope the punishment is harsh enough to send a message.

Do you consider 25 years to send a message, or do you consider it too lenient, since he was facing up to 99 years or life?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.