Comedian Bill Burr to do show at Reed Arena

8,890 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by SJEAg
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Impossible that things couldn't be organized and smooth and efficient at Reed.

There were people walking all around the arena in powder blue shirts that said BEST.

Levy is concessions best is gate attendants and security
maroon barchetta
BQ_90 said:

maroon barchetta said:

There were people walking all around the arena in powder blue shirts that said BEST.

Maybe they should swap.
Koko Chingo
AG
The opener was Dean Delray.

I have the same sentiment. Bill was funny, but nothing really that new or pushing the needle. i can say that I saw Bill Burr live in College Station but I cant say he gave us his best.

We got there a bit early and concessions were fine. As soon as it got to about 50% capacity they couldn't keep up.

https://www.deandelray.com/

johnnyblaze36
AG
merc said:

I thought it was good and laughed quite a bit. The crowd seemed really tight and he was having a hard time finding a good vibe. I understand as we do tend to take ourselves a bit to seriously here(and in Texas in general).
Fully agree with this. He should have just gone full Philly on our lame asses.
unmade bed
In defense of the crowd, unless you got there an hour or more before the show started, chances are your only had at most 1 beer, and you went through quite a frustrating experience to get it. I think that might have had as much or more to do with the crowd's lameness as the content of the show.
johnnyblaze36
AG
unmade bed said:

In defense of the crowd, unless you got there an hour or more before the show started, chances are your only had at most 1 beer, and you went through quite a frustrating experience to get it. I think that might have had as much or more to do with the crowd's lameness as the content of the show.
Good point. I made sure to get started at 5:45 and take an uber to the venue by 7:15. I bought two beers and my buddy and his wife that were meeting me there took one of my beers I waited 15 minutes for as I ran into him in the concourse.

Not that one needs alcohol to laugh, but it always helps. Just don't see why it is so hard to have those trough like stations open everywhere.

ETA: My buddy sitting next to me barely even laughed the entire time. He loves Bill Burr, is a right winger like me and doesn't care about being made fun of, but just thought the derogatory nature was extra incessant.
BQ_90
AG
maroon barchetta said:

BQ_90 said:

maroon barchetta said:

Maybe they should swap.

Levy is the worst. BEST isnt that bad, at least they aren't for sporting events
AgTrip
unmade bed said:

Haha if you're saying you have to be drunk to enjoy the show...it could be their material.
Birddog
AG
Our seats were double sold. Don't know where the other couple ended up sitting. You would of thought Reed held 100,000 with the way the lines were. Enjoyed the evening. Little too heavy on the KKK and Bible Belt stuff, came off as trying to force it too much. The warm up guy was good, and will be looking for his Bill's new movie "Old Dads".
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Did he mention anything about John Wayne? The radio ads make it seem like John Wayne references are his go to.
maroon barchetta
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Did he mention anything about John Wayne? The radio ads make it seem like John Wayne references are his go to.

No. That was from one of his tv specials.
johnnyblaze36
AG
For any Bill Burr fans that haven't watched his animated show "F is for Family" on Netflix I highly recommend it. Lots of language as to be expected so just be sure to hide the kids. That most recent Red Rocks standup special on there is great, too.
Txmoe
AG
merc said:

I thought it was good and laughed quite a bit. The crowd seemed really tight and he was having a hard time finding a good vibe. I understand as we do tend to take ourselves a bit to seriously here(and in Texas in general).
You need to hang out with a different crowd, I find Texans in general and Aggies in particular to have pretty good senses of humor about themselves (though it may not appear so on Texags).

I also enjoyed the show but didn't think the audience was tight at all. If anything, I think Burr intentionally plays up those awkward moments as part of his act. My suspicion is that he likes the challenge of taking his audience to an uncomfortable place to see if he can make people laugh about the issue and themselves. When he asked the guy what he was drinking, I doubt the guy said Bud Light. I'm sure Burr did that just so he could bring up the topic.

In his last special, he ended the show talking about abortion and managed to find humor in it while pretty much offending everyone in the crowd. Not an easy tightrope to walk but I think he likes the challenge.
maroon barchetta
That abortion bit was gold.

"I don't like people telling me I can do with my body!"

*mostly liberal Colorado crowd cheers*

"Hang on. You don't know where I'm going with this…"
Tookieclothespin
AG
merc said:

Well the threat of immediate ejection for heckling and not being able to even use your watch is enough to keep people uptight.

I get it, from a performers stance that having everyone yell and be on their phones would be ridiculous, but also maybe chill out a little and we will too.
FJB
Tookieclothespin
AG
unmade bed said:

I'll admit I was in a garbage mood by the time we got settled. TAMU transportation is easily the most hated unit on campus and this is a shining example of their incompetence. They were ushering people into completely full lots, then not directing anyone at 97 or the other lots near 100. At 97, they weren't directing people to utilize both entrances. People couldn't even u-turn to get to the other entrance because the lane was blocked. It was very stupid. Sometimes for events they shut down one entrance to 97, so they kind of need to let people know what's going on and not just trust people to read their minds. We started having to crowd-source the info by rolling down our windows and passing it back. Some extra perturbed guys were cussing out their windows at people who didn't get the memo. It was not a great start.

The phone confiscation and clear bag rule was expected, but it's NOT LOVED. Even less so when you're already in a mood from parking. And then you can't even get a drink without waiting an eternity.

It was also a bit hot in the venue and I almost always run cold so that's saying something.

So if we're being called lame, fine, but there were circumstances.

FJB
FamousAgg
Comics don't really do "new" or "push the needle" type stuff in arenas, that's what the small clubs are for
AgsMyDude
AG
Burr absolutely does
maroon barchetta
AgsMyDude said:

Burr absolutely does

Check his username. It is correct.
SJEAg
AG
Well, Bill had nothing but glowing things to say about his time in BCS on his podcast. Actually said it one of his best show experiences. He did call us University of Texas A&M though which made me lol.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.