A new diverging diamond coming your way

6,369 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bucketrunner
Carnwellag2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
284 million - waste
jello123
Carnwellag2 said:

284 million - waste
That 284 million price tag and timeline are for multiple TXDOT projects in the BCS area, not just this one interchange.
lockett93
AG
Have we gone from 183 to 284 or has the scope also been expanded?

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/08/12/highway-6-expansion-plans-set-2023-includes-new-diverging-diamond/?outputType=amp
agnerd
AG
They claim that these increase the amount of traffic that can turn left in an intersection and improve safety. Yet what do they do to the one on 2818 during the biggest traffic days of the year (home football games)???

They shut them down and make everyone U-turn at the airport. What's the point of having it if it fails at the ONE thing it's supposed to be best at?

The 6 one does seem like a much better design. Hopefully they will actually use it they way it was intended on home game weekends instead of shutting it down during those times and ending up with an intersection that's worse in every single way when it's most needed.
Stupe
S
Carnwellag2 said:

284 million - waste

Great insight.

I would be willing to listen to anything that you had to say based on that intelligent and well thought out response.
kraut
AG
The Eagle reporter got the numbers mixed up. No way that intersection is $284 million by itself.

Like someone posted above, the entire SH6 project from SH21 to SH40 was estimated to be $183 million not that long ago.

Edit: They edited their headline to say "...as part of 284M project"
harrierdoc
AG
Red Pear BCS Luke said:

Stupe said:

Why are these an issue for anyone that can read a traffic sign?

Because these types of interchanges don't exist in any major cities. I'm not worried about my ability to comprehend and read traffic signs. I'm worried about the cars around me and their ability to comprehend/read the traffic signs.

Per the article, there are several in the Austin metro area, El Paso, and San Antonio. Not sure what you consider a major city, but those are major in my mind.
dubi
AG
trouble said:

We needed to get to the damn outlet mall

We have a damn mall already.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
City of College Station contracts Hot Wheels for Loop the Loop development project at University and Hwy 6.
trouble
AG
dubi said:

trouble said:

We needed to get to the damn outlet mall

We have a damn mall already.

I meant that's why the soccer moms in Wilco figured out the Round Rock one. It's right by the outlet mall
Hyacinth
That's so they don't have to deal with the merging of the two turn lanes from opposite directions trying to go south on 2818. It will probably (hopefully) be open after the 2818 work is finished.
BiochemAg97
AG
the diverging diamond in Round Rock has issues due to the lights and road to the east not being able to handle the increased traffic. Traffic would back up into the DD and things would grind to a halt.

I'm concerned that university to the west of 6 will have similar issues given the number of traffic lights in close proximity. Fortunately, they already have the lanes on university there, just need to get the traffic lights right.
phillytex24
My friend was killed at that intersection on 60/2818 before they put in the diverging diamond. I think it's made it much safer.
woodiewood1
phillytex24 said:

My friend was killed at that intersection on 60/2818 before they put in the diverging diamond. I think it's made it much safer.
Sorry for your loss. Yes I have watch two instances where people tried to dart across 2018 to get on the ramp to go west on 60 and got T-bone. Once, two people were carried off on gurneys and taken to the emergency.

Well, okay then
AG
My wife purposefully (I think?) mispronounces this intersection name each time she refers to it. Demented Diamond…Depraved Diamond…Disaster Diamond…Depressing Diamond… Maybe technically incorrect, but not wrong. :-)
Rexter
The Diamond would work much better if one side were elevated so that traffic wouldn't have to stop at all.
birdman
Real expensive and unnecessary solution in search of a nonexistent problem.
BCSWguru
Wouldn't it be cheaper just to build turnarounds? It's mind boggling only a couple of intersections with the bypass have them.
Bucketrunner
LSCSN said:

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to build turnarounds? It's mind boggling only a couple of intersections with the bypass have them.
THIS!!!!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.