Anyone have Metronet yet?

6,301 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BluHorseShu
EliteElectric
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thinking about signing up and wondering how they are performing.
Loaded
AG
Thread bump.

Metronet put out flags along our street several weeks ago ahead of laying the fiber in the yards. I'm ready to finally dump Suddenlink/Optimum, so I'd like to hear others experiences with Metronet too.
BrazosWifi
Loaded said:

Thread bump.

Metronet put out flags along our street several weeks ago ahead of laying the fiber in the yards. I'm ready to finally dump Suddenlink/Optimum, so I'd like to hear others experiences with Metronet too.
It'll be a bit more.

Fiber optic installation takes quite a few steps:
1. Planning (done)
2. Install conduit
3. Install fiber inside conduit
4. Splice fiber at the main nodes
5. Install terminals along street
6. Test everything.
7. Install customers
8. Bury cable from street to house.

In the Brazos WiFi deployments the fastest we can do this is about a month. Normally it is many months from start to finish.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
EliteElectric
Salesman stopped by Thursday to tell me they were live now and would get us from the pedestal to the house once we signed up. According to sales guy they are ready and able to provide service in my hood
EliteElectric
signed up, installation next week, will report
trouble
AG
What general area are you in?
EliteElectric
Angry Elephant Bryan
txbudda
Had it for about 2 months now. Had one outage right after I got it when I called to report it I was on the phone less 10 minutes from dialing till done and got 15 dollar credit an it was only out a couple of hours. The customer service has been great so far, I pay fro 1gig and I get 800mbps to 900mbps.
EliteElectric
anything has to be better than suddenstink
UmustBKidding
stink has now been optimized.
sirhc
AG
Hoping Metronet or Frontier will be available in my new hood once my house is done. What are you all paying for fiber?
halibut sinclair
We recently got Frontier 500mb fiber. 39.99 for 12 months, free Eero router. Works great so far.
Tailgate88
AG
EliteElectric said:

Angry Elephant Bryan

Dang it now I am craving triple fried wings.
EliteElectric
They installed fiber from pedestal to our home yesterday equipment install Tuesday.
Brutal Puffin
AG
Metronet installed fiber on my street this past May. I signed up. Was told it would be ready in August. Here I sit in January still on Suddenlink/Optimum paying for 1G that I have never come close to seeing.
EliteElectric
Ok Install was this AM,
here is wifi with Suddenstink

Wifi with Metronet

And hard wired connection

so far color me impressed
josecanuc
I had signed up for Metronet a couple months ago when they put door hangers out, even though they had just started working on laying conduit in the neighborhood. But Frontier came in like a freak storm and has been way faster at getting conduit and now fiber in the ground.

Called Metronet to cancel my pre-install and they offered $25/month bill credit with auto-pay, one free month, and a $150 bill credit if I show my current provider's final bill.

I still canceled them, since it looks like Frontier may go active first, but for anyone who wants to engineer a deal...
EliteElectric
Guess suddenlink is going to suck all the way to the end. After "chatting" this am was told I had to call their "retention dept" to disconnect. How can one organization ne this horrible, and sustain it for decades?

EliteElectric
After an hour on phone with retention dept they offered to give us same package we were paying 320 per month for for 89. Lol
wadd96
AG
We bought a house in Austin's Colony but unfortunately Metronet hasn't quite reached our street. We are one of only 3 or 4 houses on our side of the street.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Thisguy1
Curious of the performance as well. We were paying $220 before taxes for cable/internet. They dropped my package to $180 after 5 minutes. Cancelled cable anyways and picked up YTTV and I'm paying around $170 now. Metronet can get me faster speeds for about $50 cheaper a month so I'd like to switch but I'm worried it's too new.
EliteElectric
Thisguy1 said:

Curious of the performance as well. We were paying $220 before taxes for cable/internet. They dropped my package to $180 after 5 minutes. Cancelled cable anyways and picked up YTTV and I'm paying around $170 now. Metronet can get me faster speeds for about $50 cheaper a month so I'd like to switch but I'm worried it's too new.
Current conditions with 10+ browser windows open, a cloud based estimating software running and Pandora streaming music, I seem to be bogging down the bandwidth

BCSWguru
can you use your existing router with their setup? do you have to rent their equipment?
EliteElectric
LSCSN said:

can you use your existing router with their setup? do you have to rent their equipment?

They gave me an eero but I'm not using it
slyk
wadd96 said:

We bought a house in Austin's Colony but unfortunately Metronet hasn't quite reached our street. We are one of only 3 or 4 houses on our side of the street.
Check with Frontier, they've also been silently pulling fiber thru Austins Colony in the conduits. If they've already ran the conduit (orange and blue tubing) in the ground along your street, Frontier may have already pulled their fiber thru. I know some folks that are still waiting in AC for metronet while Frontier is already in use on their street.
texAZtea
AG
Metronet put out the little signs saying they'd be digging up my yard but so far, I haven't seen anyone come to do work.
Edit to add: I'm at Carter Creek and Villa Maria
Thisguy1
They put those out all in my yard last year. BTU or Atmos came out and put their flags shortly after. Nobody ever dug up anything and all of my neighbors have Metronet. The only activity I saw was at the end of my street.
Charpie
AG
Metronet came to my house in Austin's Colony to sell me service. I was ready to get on the wait list since the pedestal hadn't been turned on yet on my block. The guy wanted my SSN. I'm like, "I don't give that out to my family, much less a total stranger trying to sell me internet on the street." Very weird.
TransplantedRedRaider
We have had metronet for nearly 2 months now. Very happy with the service and their people are nice and very professional. Super fast internet that's dependable. Not cutting out several times per day, as Suddenlink did. One outage happened when another contractor dug thru the fiber. Not their fault but it was repaired quickly, and they were very professional on the phone.

Side note--quitting suddenlink was a difficult as everybody said it would be. Then we got a bill for the equipment we returned. Shocking, right? Fortunately, we turned it into a human and got a receipt for it, but we are still having to fight about it.
BluHorseShu
AG
TransplantedRedRaider said:

We have had metronet for nearly 2 months now. Very happy with the service and their people are nice and very professional. Super fast internet that's dependable. Not cutting out several times per day, as Suddenlink did. One outage happened when another contractor dug thru the fiber. Not their fault but it was repaired quickly, and they were very professional on the phone.

Side note--quitting suddenlink was a difficult as everybody said it would be. Then we got a bill for the equipment we returned. Shocking, right? Fortunately, we turned it into a human and got a receipt for it, but we are still having to fight about it.
Did Metronet charge you to run the fiber from the box to (and inside) your house? My BIL set an appointment with them and when they showed they said they were going to have to trench his yard from the street, around to the back of the house and then drill through his brick veneer.
EliteElectric
installation was free
BluHorseShu
AG
EliteElectric said:

installation was free
Thanks
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.