Northgate Crime

5,155 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by woodiewood1
phillytex24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What is going on with Northgate? I've been a rideshare driver since 2016, and I'm shocked how bad it's gotten. Huge arrests this past weekend. I think it's time to do away with a bar district, in favor of spread out bars. Northgate is a hot mess, and it's sad to say! I loved it in the 1990s & early 2000s! Back then there were no police patrolling and things were great. I used to walk out the back door of Dudds at closing time with a full chugger of beer and walk home; without any fear of being arrested. Things were so chill then! Now huge fights weekly. It's unreal.

https://www.fox44news.com/news/local-news/brazos/dozens-arrested-in-college-station-northgate-bar-district/
trouble
AG
Things were not great in the 90s.
Rapier108
The problem isn't Northgate.

The problem is our society has gone into the crapper. More crime, more people acting the fool, more people who are so self entitled they believe they can do anything they want and get away with it, etc. etc. etc. are just manifestations of the problem.
TyHolden
AG
trouble said:

Things were not great in the 90s.
I saw a dude get stabbed in the chest at the Chicken late 90s. The perp ran out the door before anybody knew what was going on. Cops closed NG down that night. I saw the guy that got stabbed a couple months later back at the Chicken. Just a flesh wound he said.
Smeghead4761
phillytex24 said:

What is going on with Northgate? I've been a rideshare driver since 2016, and I'm shocked how bad it's gotten. Huge arrests this past weekend. I think it's time to do away with a bar district, in favor of spread out bars. Northgate is a hot mess, and it's sad to say! I loved it in the 1990s & early 2000s! Back then there were no police patrolling and things were great. I used to walk out the back door of Dudds at closing time with a full chugger of beer and walk home; without any fear of being arrested. Things were so chill then! Now huge fights weekly. It's unreal.

https://www.fox44news.com/news/local-news/brazos/dozens-arrested-in-college-station-northgate-bar-district/
I have no hard data to back it up, just an impression from working for UPD from 2017-2022, but things got a lot worse when Bryan started declaring several problem bars in their city (starting with the Knight Club) as Public Nusances and shutting them down after COVID.

A lot of the people who were causing problems at those bars migrated to Northgate, especially several of the bars in the 100 block.

The CSPD chief did a brief for the city council a few months back, but his stats were a lot of what in the Army we called "big hand, little map" - very general. I'd really love to see the crime stats broken down on a finer time scale, with indications of when Bryan shut down each of their 'problem' bars and clubs.

EDIT TO ADD: Looking at the list of crimes, it looks like all of that came from CSPD. Which means it doesn't include the two sexual assaults that took place in residential areas of Bryan near Northgate that same weekend. Or anyone arrested by UPD in the Northgate area.
woodiewood1
Rapier108 said:

The problem isn't Northgate.

The problem is our society has gone into the crapper. More crime, more people acting the fool, more people who are so self entitled they believe they can do anything they want and get away with it, etc. etc. etc. are just manifestations of the problem.
This and we have gone from about 90,000 people in BCS in 1990 to just under 300,000 which doesn't include all the college students nor undocumented visitors.

Most everyone wants the twin cities to have more employment, more restaurants, more store options and then are amazed that we have more and more big city problems of crime and traffic jams.
PS3D
phillytex24 said:

The open containers ordinance was passed because Northgate circa 2005 was causing a LOT of problems.
trouble
AG
There were bar emptying fights often in the 90s. I remember being the one staying sober enough to get us all out the door many times
legalbird
The problem is related to criminals traveling to College Station. That is one factor. Other factors include cashless bonds and catch/release programs. I was hoping the experiment ran it's course, but it looks like we have more suffering to endure.
techno-ag
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

phillytex24 said:

I have no hard data to back it up, just an impression from working for UPD from 2017-2022, but things got a lot worse when Bryan started declaring several problem bars in their city (starting with the Knight Club) as Public Nusances and shutting them down after COVID.

A lot of the people who were causing problems at those bars migrated to Northgate, especially several of the bars in the 100 block.

The CSPD chief did a brief for the city council a few months back, but his stats were a lot of what in the Army we called "big hand, little map" - very general. I'd really love to see the crime stats broken down on a finer time scale, with indications of when Bryan shut down each of their 'problem' bars and clubs.

EDIT TO ADD: Looking at the list of crimes, it looks like all of that came from CSPD. Which means it doesn't include the two sexual assaults that took place in residential areas of Bryan near Northgate that same weekend. Or anyone arrested by UPD in the Northgate area.
Agreed it's gotten a lot worse. Northgate should be avoided after dark.
Clucky
No it wasn't. It was fun, and the bars didn't like that people were bringing their own coolers and hanging out, so it got shut down. But there were not a lot of problems. Some messes, sure, but it was a great time and people utilized the space. Sunday concerts on the back porch were the best!
Marooned_n_Aggieland
trouble said:

There were bar emptying fights often in the 90s. I remember being the one staying sober enough to get us all out the door many times
Is this the bourbon society gatherings or Northgate -- or both?
trouble
AG
Northgate. The bourbon society is old and chill
Smeghead4761
techno-ag said:

Smeghead4761 said:

*Deleted to save space*
Agreed it's gotten a lot worse. Northgate should be avoided after dark.
The other breakout I'd like to see in the arrest data is local residents / students / non-student non-local. Although I don't know if CSPD tracks student status in their arrest data.

The University's student population has increased, by a lot. The student population living in and immediately around Northgate has increased, by a lot (and still growing.) And the number of bars keeps growing - I can think of 5 new ones that have opened in just the last 2 years or so. I can think of 2 that went out of business (West End Elixer and Blackwater Draw), and one of those was replaced by another bar (The Spot) and last I checked they were working on putting another in where West End Elixer used to be.

More people + more bars in the same amount of space = more problems
EliteElectric
Smeghead4761 said:

The University's student population has increased, by a lot. The student population living in and immediately around Northgate has increased, by a lot (and still growing.)

More people + more bars in the same amount of space = more problems
I am personal friends with several NG business owners and can tell you with certainty, they believe that the high density housing in the NG area is a huge contributor to the issue. Kids who can get high or drunk at home and then easily walk to a place where a ton of other kids are is a recipe for shenanigan's
Smeghead4761
That, and/or they drink more because "Hey, I can just walk home."
jeffk
AG
Law & Order: Northgate
maroon barchetta
jeffk said:

Law & Order: Northgate
trouble
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

That, and/or they drink more because "Hey, I can just walk home."

That was our logic in the 90s
woodiewood1
So, we are having more problems in a bar district that has a higher and higher density of young persons living within a short walking distance and more and more visitors like many other cities in the country. Nothing new here.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.