College Station - Bryan BBQ Restaurants

9,689 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by AggiePhil
mjschiller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need 5/6 best BBQ shops in College Sta. / Bryan. Grandson & family visiting this weekend. Thanks
wareagle044
CJ
Fargos
1775 Pit BBQ
All the Kings Men
J Cody's
Coopers
TexasAggie_02
AG
ChampsAg
1775 but get there early.
Fargo's same
maybe one of the new food trucks.

LJ's in Brenham or Brett's in Rockdale
michellecan
C&J's
zachsccr
AG
Mallets in Navasota. Worth the drive or stop on the way in from Houston.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I like the 1775 cuts and brisket texture but I've only been 2 times and both times I've felt like its a little too salty.

(And I'm someone who gets told they eat too much salt by family and friends)

I feel like if they cut the salt down a bit they would hands down be the best BBQ in town.

I used to really like J Cody but their brisket is very dry now. But I do still like their burger.
halibut sinclair
The Station on 29th in Bryan.

What's tha Deal food trailer in North Bryan is really good.

There's a new one called Low Wood Smoking - usually parked at Briarcrest and Broadmoor.
taxpreparer
AG
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
Jetty
AG
Fargos
ElephantRider
AG
I die a little bit inside every time someone puts C&J or J. Cody's on a best BBQ list
doubledog
ElephantRider said:

I die a little bit inside every time someone puts C&J or J. Cody's on a best BBQ list
Truth ... as in Truth BBQ Brenham.

FYI : Brisket may be a bit fatty for some...

MyNameIsJeff
AG
ElephantRider said:

I'll give C&J's a place on the top 5/6 list, since there aren't that many places here. I eat at the one on Hwy 30 frequently, and although craft barbecue places like 1775 are in a different league, C&Js is good. Now J. Cody's, I have never even considered that place a barbecue joint.

I'd rank them as below if I was suggesting places for people to go, not necessarily based solely on food:

1. 1775. Hands down. Best barbecue, clean facilities, friendly workers and good atmosphere. Just get there early.

2. Cooper's. Good barbecue, good variety of meats, sides, and desserts. Great atmosphere and really nice building.

3. C&J's. Same as above if at the new location on WJB.

4. Fargo's. Better barbecue than Cooper's and C&J's, but it's in a really weird building. And it always seems to be really hot inside. This knocks it further down the list of where I would take visitors, unless they only care about the meat.

5. I guess that's really it for recommendations. I've been to Martin's once. Completely unimpressed and felt like I'd gone back in time 50 years. Been to All the King's Men once. My only take away there was that it was especially expensive, and I never saw a smoker. The only food truck I've been to is 1976. It's good, but they're not open on weekends. And the controversy with their name still kinda irritates me.

Getting outside of BCS gets you Snow's in Lexington, Truth and LJ's in Brenham, and Brett's in Rockdale, but there's really no need to travel.

I've seen Mallett Bros mentioned a few times. They're good as well (even catered my wedding last year), but I'd put them more on par with Cooper's or C&J's.

ElephantRider
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

ElephantRider said:

I'll give C&J's a place on the top 5/6 list, since there aren't that many places here. I eat at the one on Hwy 30 frequently, and although craft barbecue places like 1775 are in a different league, C&Js is good. Now J. Cody's, I have never even considered that place a barbecue joint.

I'd rank them as below if I was suggesting places for people to go, not necessarily based solely on food:

1. 1775. Hands down. Best barbecue, clean facilities, friendly workers and good atmosphere. Just get there early.

2. Cooper's. Good barbecue, good variety of meats, sides, and desserts. Great atmosphere and really nice building.

3. C&J's. Same as above if at the new location on WJB.

4. Fargo's. Better barbecue than Cooper's and C&J's, but it's in a really weird building. And it always seems to be really hot inside. This knocks it further down the list of where I would take visitors, unless they only care about the meat.

5. I guess that's really it for recommendations. I've been to Martin's once. Completely unimpressed and felt like I'd gone back in time 50 years. Been to All the King's Men once. My only take away there was that it was especially expensive, and I never saw a smoker. The only food truck I've been to is 1976. It's good, but they're not open on weekends. And the controversy with their name still kinda irritates me.

Getting outside of BCS gets you Snow's in Lexington, Truth and LJ's in Brenham, and Brett's in Rockdale, but there's really no need to travel.

I've seen Mallett Bros mentioned a few times. They're good as well (even catered my wedding last year), but I'd put them more on par with Cooper's or C&J's.

Here's how I break it down, if we're just doing places in BCS (Snow's and Truth blow anything here out of the water).

Legitimately good BBQ:
-Cooper's

(big gap)

Good for a quick lunch/sandwich if I just want BBQ and it's convenient:
-Rudy's
-C&J (I actually prefer Rudy's, if I'm being totally honest)

Unsure:
-Fargo's: I've given them several chances, and I just can't get on board. Ribs were good, but every time I've gone the brisket was very dry.

Cool place, meh BBQ:
-Martin's: Haven't been since college, but it's a neat place. BBQ isn't great
-All the Kings Men: Don't they use an electric smoker?

Why would anyone get BBQ there?
-J. Cody's: Really good burgers, pretty bad BBQ

I haven't had any of the food trucks, so can't comment on those.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I forgot about Rudy's. Haven't been there in years.
trouble
AG
Martin's is much better now.

My preference for every day BBQ is C&J. I don't really like brisket (I know, I know) and their turkey is some of the best I've had. And the pork chops are amazing.

1776 has the absolute best turkey I've had but I don't want to wait in line and sometimes I'd rather BBQ for supper instead of lunch.

Rudy's is fine for breakfast tacos but I'm completely meh on the rest of their meats.

Go to J Cody's for burgers, steaks, and the fried catfish but not the BBQ.

I like Fargo's stuffed potato but I never get their meats on their own.

All the Kings Men has great sides and an excellent whiskey selection but the meat is expensive and not great.

Coopers is too dang salty unless you get it dipped and I don't like their thin sauce.
Anonymous Source
S
trouble said:

Martin's is much better now.

My preference for every day BBQ is C&J. I don't really like brisket (I know, I know) and their turkey is some of the best I've had. And the pork chops are amazing.

1776 has the absolute best turkey I've had but I don't want to wait in line and sometimes I'd rather BBQ for supper instead of lunch.

Rudy's is fine for breakfast tacos but I'm completely meh on the rest of their meats.

Go to J Cody's for burgers, steaks, and the fried catfish but not the BBQ.

I like Fargo's stuffed potato but I never get their meats on their own.

All the Kings Men has great sides and an excellent whiskey selection but the meat is expensive and not great.

Coopers is too dang salty unless you get it dipped and I don't like their thin sauce.
Then you'll be happy to know that Cooper's is now offering a thicker, sweeter sauce that's really good.
Gig 'Em
trouble
AG
No, no I won't be
wareagle044
ElephantRider said:

When asking for 6 options in BCS you don't have too many choices. Looking forward to trying some of the others listed here that I haven't seen before
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
ElephantRider said:

yeah what the hell. Its like mall food court bbq.
halibut sinclair
I read that ATKM is supposed to have an onsite (not electric) smoker now after their recent remodel.

Cooper's is our first choice, followed by the new C&J, since it's very close to our hood. I think they've stepped up their game some. Try the brisket hamburger. 1775 is just too far away and I'm not a fan of the "open until we're not" places.
AgTrip

Don't we debate this every other month?
GSS
Add Snook BBQ, Friday - Saturday only, delicious!
NRA Life
TSRA Life
MyNameIsJeff
AG
AgTrip said:

Don't we debate this every other month?

Yes. It's my favorite topic in the Aggieland forum.
mjschiller
AG
Thanks to everyone. Appreciated
A Net Full of Jello
AG
ElephantRider said:

Same. C&J is perfectly adequate. J.Cody's has great steaks and burgers and that Cody corn is also dang good, but the barbecue is not what they do best. If those are tops in this town, this town has subpar barbecue. And this town doesn't have subpar barbecue.
jja79
AG
Blue Moon on OSR is good but in town I wouldn't go anywhere but 1775.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
ElephantRider said:

Agreed. It's good for a quick fix but if you're purposely seeking out some best BBQ...there are other options
Txmoe
AG
A Net Full of Jello said:

ElephantRider said:

Same. C&J is perfectly adequate. J.Cody's has great steaks and burgers and that Cody corn is also dang good, but the barbecue is not what they do best. If those are tops in this town, this town has subpar barbecue. And this town doesn't have subpar barbecue.
The correct answer. J Cody's does have some good food (IMHO one of the best burgers in town) but their BBQ is not even mediocre.
woodiewood1
1775 and What's tha Deal food trailer in North Bryan.

Everyone else is vying for 3rd place.
agfan2013
AG
1775 and nobody else comes close right now in the area.

After 1775 I'd probably go with: Coopers, Whats tha deal bbq, fargos, then the rest in a big group (Martins, C&J, J Cody, Rudys, 1976, etc).

I always describe it like this: if you need a quick lunch meal that isnt too fancy, grab C&Js. If you are trying to impress an out of towner with a bbq meal, go somewhere else. While the staples of brisket, ribs, and sausage are lacking at C&Js, they actually do a pretty decent turkey and have good sides, so know what to order. Same thing with J Cody's, you dont get bbq over there unless its just a sliced brisket sandwhich for a quick lunch. Get a steak, hamburger, chicken fried steak, or something else that will be way better.
ChampsAg
I have been to Coopers a few times and it is just so damn expensive. And the sides, except for the beans, are not good. i got the bbq potato and they hand you a potato with a cup of chopped bbq. no thanks

family picked up c&j sunday and it was suprisingly good, at least the brisket which is all i ate. i love the beans there and the okra.

mentioning rudy's should be a permaban

i hear that fargo's has gone away from their drink station to handing out cans. i'm not sure why the drinks and refills have always been an issue there...
tmaggies
AG
Went to Fargos finally for the first time and last. The brisket was dry and some of the toughest I had in recent memory. Nice staff but horrible BBQ
Hornbeck
If I just want sausage or chicken, C&Js is fine.

Cooper's is way salty.

Rudy's is where I go if we have a big group.

1775… don't care to stand in line.

Outside of town:
LJs in Brenham
Brett's Backyard BBQ in Rockdale (one of my faves)
Cattleack in Dallas
Feedstore in Southlake

If I want brisket, I'll make it on my pellet smoker.
EBrazosAg
AG
If I want chicken, brisket or sausage C&J works well for me. Has been since 1987. Maybe I'm simple. Bet Hornbecks brisket is better but don't have access. Chip had great brisket when I was a college student fishing at Gibbons and still is now IMHO. By far best chicken in town over past 1.5 decade. My wife is a yard bird critic and swears by C&J.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.