College Station - Bryan BBQ Restaurants

9,687 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by AggiePhil
Hornbeck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Obligatory "I miss Tom's"

Maybe it's just nostalgia… but the Aggie special fed me through undergrad…
Texasclipper
AG
A Net Full of Jello said:

ElephantRider said:

I die a little bit inside every time someone puts C&J or J. Cody's on a best BBQ list
Same. C&J is perfectly adequate.
C&J is decent, but i haven't had it in several years after visiting the one up on 30 and seeing pink slime in the ice machine. Big time turn off there.
woodiewood1
Texasclipper said:

ElephantRider said:

I die a little bit inside every time someone puts C&J or J. Cody's on a best BBQ list
C&J is decent, but i haven't had it in several years after visiting the one up on 30 and seeing pink slime in the ice machine. Big time turn off there.
Marvin, I missed that one.

C&Js chicken is good if you get it fresh. The last two times I went the chicken was dry as dirt.

doubledog
woodiewood1 said:

Texasclipper said:

ElephantRider said:

Marvin, I missed that one.

C&Js chicken is good if you get it fresh. The last two times I went the chicken was dry as dirt.

C&Js pork chops are good... Coopers for everything else.
phillytex24
C&J BBQ is my favorite!!! Delicious and affordable. Also, I love Rudy's breakfast brisket & egg tacos. Fargo's was delicious, but was randomly closed when I went again a few weeks ago; gas is too expensive to be driving that far from College Station to find it closed on a Saturday evening. Cooper's was wayyyy too expensive and it nothing special- I'll never go back. I just can't afford bougie bbq like they're trying to sell at Coopers.
TXCityGirl
Bourbon Brothers Barbeque on Facebook - they just opened a trailer at the Harley dealership. Good food from these chefs!
Independence H-D
Truth is worth the drive to Brenham.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I had C&J's twice in the last week and Cooper's once. C&J's was both at the Hwy 30 location during lunch, and Cooper's was around 6pm on Friday. I have to say C&J's was definitely superior. Had sausage and brisket at C&J's and sausage, brisket, and sirloin at Cooper's.
FlyRod
Martin's isn't my favorite, but it's a historic iconic place which out of towners might enjoy.
Hittag1492
AG
ElephantRider said:

Here's how I break it down, if we're just doing places in BCS (Snow's and Truth blow anything here out of the water).

Legitimately good BBQ:
-Cooper's

(big gap)

Good for a quick lunch/sandwich if I just want BBQ and it's convenient:
-Rudy's
-C&J (I actually prefer Rudy's, if I'm being totally honest)

Unsure:
-Fargo's: I've given them several chances, and I just can't get on board. Ribs were good, but every time I've gone the brisket was very dry.

Cool place, meh BBQ:
-Martin's: Haven't been since college, but it's a neat place. BBQ isn't great
-All the Kings Men: Don't they use an electric smoker?

Why would anyone get BBQ there?
-J. Cody's: Really good burgers, pretty bad BBQ

I 100% agree on this eval-perfect IMO.
PlanoAg98
AG
Family members (from Chicago) and I (4 total) are coming into town on Friday night for the game. I always bus down to games from Dallas so I never eat in BCS on the Friday night before. The family members wants BBQ. I'm thinking 1775 or Coopers based upon the responses in this thread. I've been to Coopers before and it's good (not great).

Would those 2 places be packed for dinner on Friday night before an early Saturday game?

If so, I was just thinking Rudy's. After all, Rudy's isn't bad and very convenient and would be legit BBQ for someone from Chicago.
agfan2013
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

Family members (from Chicago) and I (4 total) are coming into town on Friday night for the game. I always bus down to games from Dallas so I never eat in BCS on the Friday night before. The family members wants BBQ. I'm thinking 1775 or Coopers based upon the responses in this thread. I've been to Coopers before and it's good (not great).

Would those 2 places be packed for dinner on Friday night before an early Saturday game?

If so, I was just thinking Rudy's. After all, Rudy's isn't bad and very convenient and would be legit BBQ for someone from Chicago.

1775 wont be open for dinner, they are lunch service only and usually sell out by 2-3pm most days.

Coopers will likely have a crowd with people in for the game, but I dont think you'd be waiting hours to eat or anything. That is probably your best bet to take people wanting to eat bbq for dinner. All the King's Men in downtown Bryan is an option as well, I used to like their stuff but quality isnt quite as good as it used to be, but still probably better (and more expensive) that Rudy's.
PlanoAg98
AG
Cooper's was not crowded at all. Their brisket was legit IMO!
Burn-It
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

Today was not a good day for Coopers. First time there, holy chit, terrible. Fatty, roasted brisket, no bark or smoke ring, saltiest green beans that were broken up, pork sausage was chewy, no pork ribs. The only redeeming thing I have to say is the layout was good. Get a good bbq master & maybe things line out. Embarrassingly terrible for "Voted Best BBQ in BCS".
AKA 13-0
AggiePhil
AG
Sadly, I don't think Cooper's will last much longer. Their overhead has to be through the roof.
doubledog
wareagle044 said:

CJ
Fargos
1775 Pit BBQ
All the Kings Men
J Cody's
Coopers

1. The Station best in town
2. 1775 best in county
3. Truth (Brenham) best in the "valley"
4. Coopers best place for the atmosphere. (select your cuts +++)
5. Cody's for best sides
6. CJs porkchops
PS3D
AggiePhil said:

Sadly, I don't think Cooper's will last much longer. Their overhead has to be through the roof.
Cooper's was fantastic in Llano, but I've heard it's nearly not the same here.
woodiewood1
Texasclipper said:

ElephantRider said:

Marvin, is that you?

Marvin Zindler............................Eyewitness News!!!!
woodiewood1
Burn-It said:

PlanoAg98 said:

Today was not a good day for Coopers. First time there, holy chit, terrible. Fatty, roasted brisket, no bark or smoke ring, saltiest green beans that were broken up, pork sausage was chewy, no pork ribs. The only redeeming thing I have to say is the layout was good. Get a good bbq master & maybe things line out. Embarrassingly terrible for "Voted Best BBQ in BCS".
Best in the Brazos has less to do about quality of food or service then how many friends the owners have and the social and church connections they have. Many are spot on, and other are a joke.

Not necessarily talking about Coopers. We have been there once years ago and it was good but I thought overpriced.

Texasclipper
AG
AggiePhil said:

The one in Katy tanked. The Llanos Coopers was great the last time i was there (10 years ago). The CS Coopers is fine for fast food BBQ and their quality varies quite a bit day to day. I have no idea if they get enough business to survive or not. Maybe game days carry them through the year?
halibut sinclair
doubledog said:

wareagle044 said:

CJ
Fargos
1775 Pit BBQ
All the Kings Men
J Cody's
Coopers

2. 1775 best in county
5. Cody's for best sides
6. CJs porkchops

What's tha Deal should be on this list.

I like Cooper's but usually stick with sausage and a Big Chop. Mrs. Sinclair likes the chicken and turkey there. Beans are good and they have a full bar and tvs.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
It looks like I need to hit up What's Tha Deal and The Station.

My ranking below, for all those interested.

1. 1775
2. 1976
3. Fargo's
4. C&J's (based on old location at Hwy 30)
5. Cooper's

I think they're all good, and each has their advantages/disadvantages.
Hornbeck
I still stand by my brisket.
Coopers was not worth the price paid.
C&J's new location is nice, and as other have said yardfowl (chicken and Turkey) is quite good there. I also like their jalapeño cheese sausage.
I need to try the Station.
Txmoe
AG
Burn-It said:

PlanoAg98 said:

This was our experience as well. Friends returned the brisket and didn't want any for replacement. I'll always maintain that the best thing at that restaurant is the free pot of beans.
ElephantRider
AG
Haven't been to Cooper's in over a year but always thought it was pretty good. Sucks that it's gone downhill so much. This place is such a black hole for BBQ. The only think in town I would actually recommend to people is 1775. Everything else is meh at best.
doubledog
halibut sinclair said:

doubledog said:

wareagle044 said:

CJ
Fargos
1775 Pit BBQ
All the Kings Men
J Cody's
Coopers

2. 1775 best in county
5. Cody's for best sides
6. CJs porkchops

What's tha Deal should be on this list.

I like Cooper's but usually stick with sausage and a Big Chop. Mrs. Sinclair likes the chicken and turkey there. Beans are good and they have a full bar and tvs.
Never tried What's tha Deal. Is it run out of a food truck/trailer?
FlyRod
Yes. I think there are two trucks under that name but I can't confirm.
halibut sinclair
https://www.whatsthadealbarbecue.com/
toolshed
AG
What's tha Deal is good, reasonably priced. Has two trucks. One is almost always at the old JJ's liquor by the Bryan Cemetery, S of 21 on Texas. The other has been at the gas station (doesn't sell gas anymore) at Villa Maria and S College. Not sure how regular they are there though.
snaglepuss
C&J's has been my go to for bbq until now. We ordered a family pack for 8 on fathers day and we ordered a small amount extra lean. The extra lean was ok but still had a lot of fat on it...The rest of the brisket was all trash, it looked like they literally took the chunks of trimming and leftover beef. It was clods of meat, not slices. I could not believe this came from C&J's. Not to mention the price of brisket and we did not enjoy it at all. This was from the new store. I'll be looking for a new bbq place to eat!
Bunk Moreland
snaglepuss said:

C&J's has been my go to for bbq until now. We ordered a family pack for 8 on fathers day and we ordered a small amount extra lean. The extra lean was ok but still had a lot of fat on it...The rest of the brisket was all trash, it looked like they literally took the chunks of trimming and leftover beef. It was clods of meat, not slices. I could not believe this came from C&J's. Not to mention the price of brisket and we did not enjoy it at all. This was from the new store. I'll be looking for a new bbq place to eat!

Could be them buying crappier briskets right now due to the insane costs of meat.
phatpat21
When I'm with the family we go to Rudy's. Their Turkey is fantastic and so is their chicken. Brisket and sausage are ok. Love their beans, kids love their cream corn.

Never been on the C&J bandwagon. It's not bad by any means but just not my choice personally.

Fargos - great the couple of times I've been but that was at their old location (Texas and MLK I believe)
Haven't been to their location now, frankly just because of their location (I work in South CS)

Coopers is my go to by myself. I work close by and I love their atmosphere. I love that they use mesquite, it's what my dad smokes with in south Texas. I love their brisket, never had a bad experience. Their beans are phenomenal too. I usually get their cheesy potatoes or green beans. Sweet tea is also great.

Going to try 1775 soon. Also will check out the other place in Bryan y'all mentioned.
there were skittles in there!
snaglepuss
Bunk Moreland said:

snaglepuss said:

Could be them buying crappier briskets right now due to the insane costs of meat.
Probably so, we pay super high prices for crappier meat...
AggiePhil
AG
C&J really stepped up their game when 1775 and Cooper's came on the scene. Brisket got way better. That being said, they may still miss the mark on occasion. And their prices are through the roof. Eating there still feels like an assembly line BBQ experience (like it used to), but the prices are more in line with what you would find at a hole-in-the-wall craft BBQ place. So a bit of an identity mismatch there, if you ask me. Still great food though!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.