Costco membership for family of 2. Worth it or not?

8,940 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Slagathor
war hymn aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have Amazon Prime & do some shopping there to save on certain items.
Now that Costco is opening soon, I'm intrigued, but wonder if the $120 membership fee would actually save us $$$ since we generally don't buy in bulk anymore.

Thoughts?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Idk about your question but I'm amazed at how fast that thing is going up.
BCStalk
The wife and I pay $100 a year for Sams. We typically only buy paper goods and drinks in bulk. The only reason I keep my membership is because they have a decent meat selection and easy meals for when we want something different. I will probably cancel and move over to Costco if they have better check out lines. I'm pretty much over the self checkout people at Sams who expect me to unload everything from one cart to another, regardless of the weight of the items.
One Louder
AG
BCStalk said:

The wife and I pay $100 a year for Sams. We typically only buy paper goods and drinks in bulk. The only reason I keep my membership is because they have a decent meat selection and easy meals for when we want something different. I will probably cancel and move over to Costco if they have better check out lines. I'm pretty much over the self checkout people at Sams who expect me to unload everything from one cart to another, regardless of the weight of the items.

Just ignore them. I do.
ukbb2003
BCStalk said:

I love the Scan & Go at Sam's. Don't have to wait in line or move things from one cart to another.
momlaw
AG
Costco gas prices
Costco Rx pricing - at least when checking comparisons on Good Rx

Coupons and special sales make a difference.

Online sales also can be $ savers.
momlaw
BiochemAg97
AG
war hymn aggie said:

We have Amazon Prime & do some shopping there to save on certain items.
Now that Costco is opening soon, I'm intrigued, but wonder if the $120 membership fee would actually save us $$$ since we generally don't buy in bulk anymore.

Thoughts?

Last I checked, basic membership was like $55-60 and the executive was $110-120. The executive gives you a rebate on all your purchases. Until we moved to BCS (previously in Austin area) the rebate more than covered the our annual executive membership fee. Really looking forward to a local Costco again.

I prefer the meat at Costco to Sams, but that is things like a prime brisket or a primal cut of New York Strip. Not necessarily useful for 2, except I'll smoke the primal cut and then cut into steaks and freeze into portions for the 2 of us. Most everything else is similar. Although Costco does a better job of manageable packaging. It is in bulk like Sam's but packaged in more manageable sizes or large item with several small packages. Can't really give an example at the moment, but that was generally been my impression.
UmustBKidding
You can buy your prescriptions at Costco without a membership. Not a costco member but family members are and they buy my mother gift cards so we can fill her car with gas without being a member.
milner79
Will their gas prices be cheaper than prevailing local prices? Does the exec membership rebate include gas purchases?
Esteban du Plantier
AG
We got a Groupon deal for $60 that included a $40 gift card and then some coupons, so essentially free.

My sams card expires in about a week and we'll go one last time then let it go after 15 years.
tb9665
I probably will keep the cheaper membership at Sams just for gas and the few things that Costco does not sell. Also, never know when both might come in handy when making an electronics purchase.
bushytailed
AG
Basic membership is $60 but you only get one card. Adding another card would be an extra $60.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
bushytailed said:

Basic membership is $60 but you only get one card. Adding another card would be an extra $60.

I got two cards for the single fee.

Edit: maybe you're thinking of the business account? That's $60 plus $60 for each additional card.

Here's the language from their site:

"Gold Star Membership:

$60.00 Annual membership fee*
Includes a free Household Card
Valid at all Costco locations worldwide"
BiochemAg97
AG
milner79 said:

Will their gas prices be cheaper than prevailing local prices? Does the exec membership rebate include gas purchases?

Costco is "top tier" certified, but costs are probably in line with H-E-B/Walmart/Sam's. Basically you get quality gas for a similar price as HEB/Murphy, but H-E-B/Murphy wants to charge you extra for the detergents.

I believe the rebate includes gas purchases.

Also Costco credit card has a good rebate (5% IIRC)for fuel purchases and not just at Costco. there is an annual limit to the size of the gas rebate and then reverts to the standard rebate.
bushytailed
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

bushytailed said:

I got two cards for the single fee.

Edit: maybe you're thinking of the business account? That's $60 plus $60 for each additional card.

Here's the language from their site:

"Gold Star Membership:

$60.00 Annual membership fee*
Includes a free Household Card
Valid at all Costco locations worldwide"

I swear when I looked at it last night it just showed one card included. Thanks for clarifying.

Keeping the angry face because it's Friday and I don't want to be at work. Grrr!
UmustBKidding
Think i got a post card for $8 for new members at sams. May have been emailed but know there cheap sams memberships available right now
Found card limited time in club only.
But you can shop costco instead and support their teamsters represented employees.
jello123
UmustBKidding said:

Think i got a post card for $8 for new members at sams. May have been emailed but know there cheap sams memberships available right now
Indeed. Got my Sams card (instore) this morning for $8. Deal good June 17-26. In- person only. Says new members only but I had an recently expired membership and it worked.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Glasses
studioone
No... neither is same, Best Buy, lowes, Home Depot, etc etc...

Bring back the mom n pop stores!
SandAG
The 2% rebate for Executive Members does not include gasoline purchases.
leighann
AG
Once or twice a year, I go with my aunt and use her membership to buy 10, $50 gift cards. This allows me to buy gas and shop the rest of the year. Before gas prices got so high, I would put $49 (of the $50 GC) of gas in, then save the GC with $1 balance to use in store or at the snack bar, paying the balance of that purchase with cash or debit card.
I love to buy Costco pizzas for kid birthday parties, but outside of that (and gas), I don't shop there regularly.
We are a family of 7 and do have a Sam's card, however.
AggieAces06
AG
jello123 said:

UmustBKidding said:

Indeed. Got my Sams card (instore) this morning for $8. Deal good June 17-26. In- person only. Says new members only but I had an recently expired membership and it worked.

I went this morning and had 3 weeks left on our membership. They just canceled that one and signed us up for a new one at $8.
InMyOpinion
ukbb2003 said:

BCStalk said:

I love the Scan & Go at Sam's. Don't have to wait in line or move things from one cart to another.

I have used the scan and go since they first offered it. I am spoiled now, I think any store that has self checkout should allow this. The ability to avoid any type of checkout lines is priceless
Animal Eight 84
AG
InMyOpinion said:

ukbb2003 said:

BCStalk said:

I have used the scan and go since they first offered it. I am spoiled now, I think any store that has self checkout should allow this. The ability to avoid any type of checkout lines is priceless
I was also impressed. A great use of existing technology to eliminate a nuisance.
AG81
AG
milner79 said:

A couple of weeks ago I found a Costco that sold diesel. It was a full $.15/gallon cheaper anywhere in that town. I'm hoping this one sells diesel.
BMo
We joined Costco last fall and would drive to Cypress to shop. The Executive account gives some type of return if you don't buy enough is what we were told so we upgraded. We will keep our Sam's as well.
mhnatt
Wife says no need for physical card. Just use the app or photo of card.
gettingitdone
We do scan and go and avoid lines all together
TyHolden
AG
gettingitdone said:

We do scan and go and avoid lines all together
so you can just scan pay online and no lines? it's been a while since we had costco. or went to one. we probably still have a membership.
UmustBKidding
Not st costco, at sams club you can
Tookieclothespin
AG
Costco is very unlikely to save you money if you're looking at it for that purpose. I spend a massive amount $$$$ when I go. For me it's more about access and convenience. But then, I mostly go for the food and I can't be convinced it's much cheaper to buy bulk. I have gotten good deals on household and electronic items though it's not the main reason I joined. The diapers and papergoods are probably where I save the most.
FJB
BiochemAg97
AG
Tookieclothespin said:

Costco is very unlikely to save you money if you're looking at it for that purpose. I spend a massive amount $$$$ when I go. For me it's more about access and convenience. But then, I mostly go for the food and I can't be convinced it's much cheaper to buy bulk. I have gotten good deals on household and electronic items though it's not the main reason I joined. The diapers and papergoods are probably where I save the most.
I'll agree with this.

There are some items, like cans of Coke or Dr Pepper, that buying at Costco is cheaper than HEB regular prices. But when HEB puts the cans on sale, you are often better off buying at HEB.

Other items, like brisket, Costco has prime at a reasonable price, but HEB has choice and select briskets at a much lower price. My HEB is doing a better job of stocking prime briskets now than years ago. The advantage is Costco doesn't limit you, but HEB always has a limit 2 on their briskets.

And while I may save on a few items, I usually end up spending more than I should because I find something else that I need that I probably shouldn't have bought in bulk.
Nutmegger
AG
I believe the gift card on that deal expires before ours opens so I would check and see!
Nutmegger
AG
Costco has much more organic and healthier options as opposed to Sam's. It's worth it just for the quality and variety of options alone.

Also, Most things are multiple packages so you don't have to open a large package and have it go bad before you use it.
KenJohse
AG
I just called Sam's about cancelling my membership and getting the $8 one. The guy said that could not be done but emailed me a $25 credit card.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.