Best chicken fried steak in B/CS?

15,452 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Gigem314
classicdoug
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Went to Ronin Friday night because of this thread. The chicken fried steak was definitely good, but I've had better for less money at the Longhorn steakhouse. I like the place so I'll be back to try other things.
KALALL
AG
I love the Sale Barn, and eat there at least once a week, but Kamden's has the better CFS in Groesbeck.

Closer to BCS the Dixie Cafe in Hearne has a real good CFS.
NFSwanson
Wherman's Cafe on W. 25th St. in Bryan.
trouble
AG
You got a time machine in your pocket?
AggiePhil
AG
Luby's had the best.
Rexter
AggiePhil said:

Luby's had the best.

Grandys
BCS Ag 88
I remember ordering the "Aggie Special" at the original Ken Martin's steakhouse as a college student. It was a double order of CFS along with a baked potato. I loved their yellow gravy.
Hammerheadjim
AG
Gate 12 (mentioned earlier) has a great CFS. Kinda pricey, but tastes much like a J Cody's. Can't goo wrong with a CFS from Longhorn. Ronin Is definitely on my list to try.
Walk softly and carry a big stick! Make sure the big stick makes big boom noises and flashy bright lights.
EBrazosAg
AG
Maybe there is a reason it taste like J Cody's
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
histag10
AG
It's weird to me.... I LOVE JCodys. I HATE Gate12. And I get that they are the same people, but at least from my experience, quality and service were worlds apart.
michellecan
Jesse's Taqueria makes the best CFS…seriously
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Kinda the same way here. Always enjoyed J. Cody's for what it is. Took the wife to Gate 12 one night. Service was terrible. I ordered a bacon wrapped blackened filet, which I expected to be a flavor bomb, but it tasted like shoe leather.

Gonna give it another shot because it's got a great menu and I love the runway view, but our first visit was disappointing.
histag10
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

Kinda the same way here. Always enjoyed J. Cody's for what it is. Took the wife to Gate 12 one night. Service was terrible. I ordered a bacon wrapped blackened filet, which I expected to be a flavor bomb, but it tasted like shoe leather.

Gonna give it another shot because it's got a great menu and I love the runway view, but our first visit was disappointing.

Only half our food came out (after 45 minutes). They forgot to put in the other half of the order, and then burned it. My husband never got his food. We ordered a whiskey flight and 2 of our glasses had lipstick on them, and one had a hair in it. We ordered dessert, and they forgot to put sugar in thr Whipped cream

It was literally the worst dining experience we have had in BCS, and we won't be giving it a second chance. This was also not on a busy night or at a busy time.
KC_Ag14
AG
Not sure it's the best in B/CS, but the Angry Elephant has really good CFS bites! Believe they're listed as an appetizer on their menu, but one could easily make a meal out of them.
Wicked Good Ag
While i dont think they sell CFS directly the CFS fries at Top of the Hill with a burger might be one of the better lunches i could have in the area
Retusaf94
Went to Sodolak's in Snook today and the CFS was great. I had the small and it filled up over half the plate.
Belton Ag
AG
halibut sinclair said:

histag10 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Friend living out of state is visiting B/CS this weekend, has requested a good chicken fried steak.

Please provide recommendations.
Take 'em to the Relay Station in Plantersville. Or Gristmill in Gruene.

Plantersville isn't that far, but a 2.5 hour drive for dinner in Gruene just seems stupid, especially if they are just here to spend the weekend in BCS

One man's stupid is another man's relaxing drive.

Yes, nothing is more relaxing that driving Highway 21 between Bastrop and San Marcos. I mean, it's practically like a lazy river cruise.
halibut sinclair
Belton Ag said:

halibut sinclair said:

histag10 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Friend living out of state is visiting B/CS this weekend, has requested a good chicken fried steak.

Plantersville isn't that far, but a 2.5 hour drive for dinner in Gruene just seems stupid, especially if they are just here to spend the weekend in BCS

Yes, nothing is more relaxing that driving Highway 21 between Bastrop and San Marcos. I mean, it's practically like a lazy river cruise.
This was a year ago, but they do have this little thing over there called a toll road you can use instead.
woodiewood1
halibut sinclair said:

Belton Ag said:

halibut sinclair said:

histag10 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Tyrone Shoelaces said:

This was a year ago, but they do have this little thing over there called a toll road you can use instead.
Haven't been that way in a few years. Where do you get on the toll road in Bastrop to go to San Marcos?
halibut sinclair
woodiewood1 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Belton Ag said:

halibut sinclair said:

histag10 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Haven't been that way in a few years. Where do you get on the toll road in Bastrop to go to San Marcos?

Not in Bastrop - the 130 and 45 loop outside Austin. Speed limit is 85 on parts of it. Good times.
TyHolden
AG
I hear Marfa's is pretty good. I haven't been yet though.
Girlhowdy
AG
TyHolden said:

I hear Marfa's is pretty good. I haven't been yet though.

I'm adding my vote!
rkeesmith91
AG
Marfas in south College Station great. I thought better than Porters and Gate 12. Jalapeño gravy is awesome.
bcstx06
Billy's in Downtown Bryan is really good.
jphil1
AG
I am new to town - Which Sodolaks is everyone talking about? I have read the location in Snook is better than the one in Bryan
AG'73
Brazos1865
AG
Hmm, been around these parts for a while, have you?
trouble
AG
The one in Snook might be slightly better but not when accounting for having to drive to Snook. We just eat at the one on 21.
milner79
I had the chicken fried filet at The Republic the other night. Came with mashed potatoes and maybe the best green beans I've ever had.

I'm not crowning it "the best," but I liked it.
gigem70
AG
histag10 said:

Sodolaks
Longhorn Tavern
These two in that order.
AggiePhil
AG
milner79 said:

I had the chicken fried filet at The Republic the other night. Came with mashed potatoes and maybe the best green beans I've ever had.

I'm not crowning it "the best," but I liked it.

I tried that a few years ago and was underwhelmed.
AG81
AG
classicdoug said:

Went to Ronin Friday night because of this thread. The chicken fried steak was definitely good, but I've had better for less money at the Longhorn steakhouse. I like the place so I'll be back to try other things.

I have to admit, I've yet to have a good meal at Ronin. I've tried it several times trying different items but have yet to find anything good.
AG1996
Marfa, no doubt. It's incredible
Picadillo
The old Ken Martin's Steak House CFS with the yellow gravy. Unequalled.
Mathguy64
AG
Picadillo said:

The old Ken Martin's Steak House CFS with the yellow gravy. Unequalled.

You are correct. It definitely had no equal. Not here. Not anywhere.

Seriously, the old Longhorn Tavern. Something about them after the move just was not the same.
TyHolden
AG
I can finally confirm that Marfa's CFS is solid. I don't eat CFS much but this was pretty good. The jalapeno sauce was great. My daughter loved the Brisket Burger and my son loved the Salmon. I loved my margarita. We will be going back.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.