Best chicken fried steak in B/CS?

8,992 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Retusaf94
Tyrone Shoelaces
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Friend living out of state is visiting B/CS this weekend, has requested a good chicken fried steak.

Please provide recommendations.
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sodolaks
Longhorn Tavern
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sodolaks
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Feed Barn
Sodolak's
Cotton Patch
Razzoo's - has cajun seasonings and an andouille cream gravy
Ozona
979ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ronin, and it is not even close. Ronin serves the best CFS I have ever had
agfan2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sodalacks or J Cody's. Longhorn Tavern is up there too.

Quote:

Feed Barn
FYI Feed Barn CFS are just frozen steaks he gets from a distributor. The owner will tell you how it is, but he keeps it on the menu because a lot of the older regulars he has would get mad if he took it off the menu.

They did just move to a different supplier, he is now using a 44 farms product, but its still frozen and thrown in the fryer to heat it up and then serve. It's better than the old version, but there is certainly much better in town (and again, the owner would even tell you that).
texasaggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In my experience definitely Sodalak's. But I've heard good things about Ronin. Ozona's is decent. Cotton Patch is fine too for the price.
Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Best all time

Fort Shiloh

bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, I haven't personally had it yet but everyone raves about Ronin. I have had Sodolak's and it's definitely good also.

Ronin vs Sodolak's isn't a matchup you usually see on this board, those two places definitely have different vibes.
Birddog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
979ag said:

Ronin, and it is not even close. Ronin serves the best CFS I have ever had
Every other place if fighting for second best.............Ronin is the best I have eaten anywhere not just BCS.
Chrundle the Great
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ronin, like others have said on their best night possibly the best cfs you've ever had.

If price is a consideration, a close second is is the cfs served at the Cameron Ranch connivence store. It would be best in town imo (sodolaks and longhorns are good too) if ronin didn't exist, and it's about $15 less than ronins.
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chrundle the Great said:

the Cameron Ranch connivence store
Now we're really talking. I love the idea of someone taking an out-of-towner to the Cameron Ranch Store for a chicken fried steak.

That place is delicious though, but not exactly a tourist destination.
Chrundle the Great
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey, if they're traveling looking for a chicken fried steak "experience", why not be authentic lol.
Gigem314
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
trouble said:

Sodolaks
chickencoupe16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
979ag said:

Ronin, and it is not even close. Ronin serves the best CFS I have ever had
Broncos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ronin or the Republic.
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Honorable mention for Republic's chicken fried oysters.
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rocky Mountain Oysters FTW
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

Chrundle the Great said:

the Cameron Ranch connivence store
Now we're really talking. I love the idea of someone taking an out-of-towner to the Cameron Ranch Store for a chicken fried steak.

That place is delicious though, but not exactly a tourist destination.


Honestly, they have some DAMN good food there. Just like if you want some REALLY good tacos, Raceway Deli is just down the road from them on Tabor.
Rex Racer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not in town, but I love the CFS at Texas Legends Steakhouse in Madisonville. I will have to try Cameron Ranch. Agree that Sodolak's is great.
BluHorseShu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Longhorn
Sodolaks
Youngbloods (long ago but goneā€¦became Carneys I think)
Gate 12
Bucketrunner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ronins

Sodolaks


Legends in Madisonville
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Friend living out of state is visiting B/CS this weekend, has requested a good chicken fried steak.

Please provide recommendations.
Take 'em to the Relay Station in Plantersville. Or Gristmill in Gruene.
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Friend living out of state is visiting B/CS this weekend, has requested a good chicken fried steak.

Please provide recommendations.
Take 'em to the Relay Station in Plantersville. Or Gristmill in Gruene.


Plantersville isn't that far, but a 2.5 hour drive for dinner in Gruene just seems stupid, especially if they are just here to spend the weekend in BCS
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
histag10 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Friend living out of state is visiting B/CS this weekend, has requested a good chicken fried steak.

Please provide recommendations.
Take 'em to the Relay Station in Plantersville. Or Gristmill in Gruene.


Plantersville isn't that far, but a 2.5 hour drive for dinner in Gruene just seems stupid, especially if they are just here to spend the weekend in BCS


One man's stupid is another man's relaxing drive.
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
halibut sinclair said:

histag10 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Friend living out of state is visiting B/CS this weekend, has requested a good chicken fried steak.

Please provide recommendations.
Take 'em to the Relay Station in Plantersville. Or Gristmill in Gruene.


Plantersville isn't that far, but a 2.5 hour drive for dinner in Gruene just seems stupid, especially if they are just here to spend the weekend in BCS


One man's stupid is another man's relaxing drive.


Maybe. But if you are traveling into the area from out of state, I would bet the last thing you want to do is spend 5+ hours round trip for a meal in your limited time here.
555-PINF
How long do you want to ignore this user?
histag10 said:

halibut sinclair said:

histag10 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Friend living out of state is visiting B/CS this weekend, has requested a good chicken fried steak.

Please provide recommendations.
Take 'em to the Relay Station in Plantersville. Or Gristmill in Gruene.


Plantersville isn't that far, but a 2.5 hour drive for dinner in Gruene just seems stupid, especially if they are just here to spend the weekend in BCS


One man's stupid is another man's relaxing drive.


Maybe. But if you are traveling into the area from out of state, I would bet the last thing you want to do is spend 5+ hours round trip for a meal in your limited time here.

It's not a bad idea, honestly. The guests would get to see a famous Texas landmark and spend time exploring a couple of different towns in Texas. You can see B/CS in a day. I'd much prefer to day trip and hit BBQ in Lockhart for brunch (?), kick around NB and Gruene, then have dinner at Myron's, Krause's, or Gristmill. you could be back in CS by 10 and still have time for drinks back close to home.
Hornbeck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Republic
Sodolak's
Longhorn

In that order
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anytime I traveled to BCS when we lived out of state, it was generally for a reason. Yes, we had time to grab lunch with friends and walk campus a little, but there is no way I could have burned an entire day just to drive and get food that I could have gotten in the place I traveled to.

I can see that being fine if they just came here to explore and have a day to burn.
robcovol
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's no longer there, but this thread takes me back to the days of Tom's Barbecue in Bryan. I still have dreams about those chicken fried steaks that literally were too big for the plate they were served on.
happyinBCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Youngbloods was the best I miss them
Cyp0111
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sale Barn Cafe in Groesbeck.
Rex Racer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If we're including New Braunfels, I will add a vote for the Freitheit Country Store! Delicious CFS!

https://www.freiheitcountrystore.net/

woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Longhorn's taste good, but they tenderize it to about 1/16th inch thick. Most of the steak is good tasting crust.
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jose's has a pretty good CFS
Last Page
Page 1 of 3
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.