Public Schools in BCS

10,612 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Mumbo Jimbo
Abbyag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My daughter is in Bryan schools, 11 years so far, and is doing great. Invited to join NHS this year, excelling in band and I get comments from teachers on how mature and respectful she is. She went to Sam Houston, Rayburn, SFA and now Bryan High. We are involved parents, help with band and communicate with teachers. I do not have any complaints about the education my daughter is getting and would recommend those schools to any of my friends and family. We are not rich by any means, we just take an active roll in her eduction. Best of luck with the house hunt, I'm sure you will find what you are looking for!
EliteElectric
99StationAG said:

ILTX College Station is a fantastic option, is a Charter School and Public, and is available to anyone interested, regardless of location/address. You apply and get into the waiting list "pool," and because they are public, they don't handpick, it's more of a lottery, with some weight put on siblings, etc.

The tri-lingual (English, Spanish, Chinese) aspect is very "user friendly," meaning they will plug in kiddos to the appropriate level, even if they are brand new to this part, and haven't been attending and studying the languages from the beginning(IE Kinder or 1st).

The Athletics are pretty hit and miss still, as the school here is still relatively young(4th year), but many serious Athletes choose to play Club sports outside of school anyway.

We've been there since our kiddo started Kinder, and she's now in 3rd. Have really enjoyed the fact that we moved locally during this timeframe, and didn't have to worry about that one bit!

Our daughter has been at ILT since kinder as well and she absolutely loves it. She is now midway through 2nd grade, in the GT program and thriving. In nearly 3 years of education we have no regrets, not to mention they were better than both public districts through Covid in our opinion. Discipline was a big factor for us, ILT's vision of "well behaved" seems to align with ours really well.

Also the fact that it doesn't matter where you live is a big plus, you can live anywhere and still have your child in the same system K-12. There are cons as well, no bussing, sports are a little diminished compared to public etc. As for pure quality of education it would be hard to beat ILT in my opinion.
cavscout96
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

To answer the OP
PC is great and so is PCE

hope you can find a house

supply is very short right now. Especially in PC.
Stupe
S
Is your 9th grader involved in athletics?
JeepWaveEarl
AG
Simple google search I found this. Sold in December -- probably what they're talking about being subdivided? It's in ASCISD.

https://republicranches.com/properties/texas/bluebonnet-country/gibbons-creek-ranch-2/

CS78
Yep. That sale is all over the internet but I couldn't quite swing it.

I would be interested in a single waterfront lot though.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
Between that and Muirwood Anderson is about to have a problem. I have a 5th and Kinder there... curious to see how it changes the landscape of the school (in a physical sense it's busting at the seams).
agnerd
AG
On the last national merit tallies, I think Consol had 8, CS had 2, and Bryan and Rudder each had 0. Top 10% is huge now since a good SAT score in the top 25% is no longer an automatic admit. If your kid wants to go Ivy league or out of state, I'd say CSISD will prepare them a little better. If they want to go to A&M or t.u., Bryan ISD is a much easier path to get there.
DavysApprentice
AG
AGGODDESS said:

Simple google search I found this. Sold in December -- probably what they're talking about being subdivided? It's in ASCISD.

https://republicranches.com/properties/texas/bluebonnet-country/gibbons-creek-ranch-2/

TPMA sold off the land to an environmental company to shut down the plant and I think this large tract was sold by that company and is part of the lignite mining that went on years ago off 244 close to highway 30.

The real question is what will happen with Gibbons Creek reservoir itself and the surrounding land (some of which has already been sold to a group of investors). The rumors are all over the place but I have heard of the possibility of a lake subdivision on Gibbons creek.

None of this is out in the public and I have no real inside info other than rumors.

To make it related to the OP, and as others have stated, this growth will most likely have a dramatic effect on Anderson Shiro ISD which is a pretty small district that is about to grow
Jinx
EliteElectric said:

99StationAG said:

ILTX College Station is a fantastic option, is a Charter School and Public, and is available to anyone interested, regardless of location/address. You apply and get into the waiting list "pool," and because they are public, they don't handpick, it's more of a lottery, with some weight put on siblings, etc.

The tri-lingual (English, Spanish, Chinese) aspect is very "user friendly," meaning they will plug in kiddos to the appropriate level, even if they are brand new to this part, and haven't been attending and studying the languages from the beginning(IE Kinder or 1st).

The Athletics are pretty hit and miss still, as the school here is still relatively young(4th year), but many serious Athletes choose to play Club sports outside of school anyway.

We've been there since our kiddo started Kinder, and she's now in 3rd. Have really enjoyed the fact that we moved locally during this timeframe, and didn't have to worry about that one bit!

Our daughter has been at ILT since kinder as well and she absolutely loves it. She is now midway through 2nd grade, in the GT program and thriving. In nearly 3 years of education we have no regrets, not to mention they were better than both public districts through Covid in our opinion. Discipline was a big factor for us, ILT's vision of "well behaved" seems to align with ours really well.

Also the fact that it doesn't matter where you live is a big plus, you can live anywhere and still have your child in the same system K-12. There are cons as well, no bussing, sports are a little diminished compared to public etc. As for pure quality of education it would be hard to beat ILT in my opinion.

Woo! Waitlisted for the 3rd year in a row. At least we hit double digits this year so I guess thats cool. Honestly thought we would be even further back due to having 2 school aged now.
Jinx
agmom95
AG
Did you guys ever make a decision? We just moved into Pebble Creek after living in Austin (Steiner Ranch) for 26 years. One kiddo is out of college and one is a sophomore at A&M, but I have been subbing in College Station ISD since we moved back. Be happy to share my thoughts about moving back and what I've seen in the school district and the differences between Austin and College Station.
amag04
AG
Please share, looking at possibly moving to Pebble Creek as well from Dallas area this summer. Kids 8,6,4. Thanks!
amag04
AG
Would appreciate your thoughts agmom95, thanks!
AgFan247
AG
Jinx said:

EliteElectric said:

99StationAG said:

Woo! Waitlisted for the 3rd year in a row. At least we hit double digits this year so I guess thats cool. Honestly thought we would be even further back due to having 2 school aged now.
Feel ya there, we couldn't get our kiddos in until we had a kinder going in and he was a lottery winner for admittance so his older brother immediately went to the head of the waitlist line for his grade since he had a sibling in there.
We love the discipline as well and the tri-lingual...sports on the other hand may make us change for our oldest if he wants to play football
Jinx
AgFan247 said:

Jinx said:

EliteElectric said:

99StationAG said:

Feel ya there, we couldn't get our kiddos in until we had a kinder going in and he was a lottery winner for admittance so his older brother immediately went to the head of the waitlist line for his grade since he had a sibling in there.
We love the discipline as well and the tri-lingual...sports on the other hand may make us change for our oldest if he wants to play football

Exactly what happened this year. Our Kinder kid got in and bumped our older one all the way up.
La Fours
AG
I have lived in PC 11 years, and both of my kids went to PCE. Great neighborhood, and fantastic school. Oldest is now at Consol finishing his sophomore year, youngest is at Oakwood finishing 6th grade.

We loved the teachers and staff at PCE. Many of our favorites are still there.

Only had one negative experience with a teacher in CSISD in the 11 years we have had a kid in school. It was in second grade for my son, and that teacher retired after that year.

Oakwood and AMCMS have some wonderful teachers as well.

There will be some new administration at both Oakwood and AMCMS next year. Symank, head principal at Oakwood, is taking a new job with the ISD admin office, and one of the assistant principals at AMCMS is leaving for a new career.

My wife and I have been very pleased with the school district.
Mumbo Jimbo
Does ITL still have a bunch of non certified teachers ?
BCSWguru
Tent Magic said:

Does it matter?
jeffk
AG
Tent Magic said:

The majority of the uncertified teachers they had on staff were their foreign language teachers and most of those were in the process of attaining their Texas certifications.
Mumbo Jimbo
LSCSN said:

Tent Magic said:

Does it matter?

si
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.