Best Local (non chain) Burgers

13,829 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by theNetSmith
Broncos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TX Burger is pretty solid.

Aren't they owned by the same company as Carter Burger? I'll add that I had Carter Burger not too long ago and it was a lot better than I remember.
Tibbers
doubledog said:

KorbinDallas said:

Here is my list in order of preference.

Top of the Hill
Joe's Place
Edge General Store
Margies
Dixie Chicken
Chicken Oil Co

Remove Top of the Hill and we are good to go (TOTH burgers did not agree with me)

Get a better gut lol
IWannaGoFast1
AG
I have four on my list with the fourth being pretty far from the top three. None of the others I've had warrant being on my list. I don't like fancy stuff, just a plain burger. I rotate among the top three pretty regularly, though we always have "Margies Mondays."

1. Margies
2. Top of the Hill
3. Mr. Hamburger

4. Proudest Monkey (fries are good, though)
FlyRod
Forgot about Carneys. Love their burgers (and some of the best fries in town).
rolling_ridgeag05
Not necessarily local but not far either are the burgers at Rockin G in Caldwell. Legit burgers.
Sq 17
FlyRod said:

Forgot about Carneys. Love their burgers (and some of the best fries in town).
Carneys fries are some of the best in town and
jhmo Burger joints should be judged on the Burger & FRIES
If the fries are average the burger joint can not be considered to be top tier
Koppe Bridge way better than Chicken oil when fries are added to the judging criteria
Dumbfounded
I decided to try Margies' (I had never heard of Margie's prior to reading this thread) tonight and it didn't disappoint. Good burger. Will go back soon.
halibut sinclair
Dumfounded said:

I decided to try Margies' (I had never heard of Margie's prior to reading this thread) tonight and it didn't disappoint. Good burger. Will go back soon.

Good for you. Margie's is awesome. Great burgers and great atmosphere. What did you have? Opersteny burgers and big burgers are different experiences.
Z3phyr
Feed Barn
IWannaGoFast1
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Dumfounded said:

Good for you. Margie's is awesome. Great burgers and great atmosphere. What did you have? Opersteny burgers and big burgers are different experiences.
Yep, I always get either cheese sticks (nothing special, just normal cheese sticks) or their new fried pickles (really good) plus a double meat, single cheese Opersteny. Plenty of food for lunch.

Very rarely, I'll get a normal burger, single meat, with the sourdough bun, which is a must-have. They will do a sourdough on an Opersteny if you ask, too.
FamousAgg
Went to Burger Mojo this weekend. Motherload Burger
Good burger overall, fries need more seasoning and salt. Next time I'll get rid of the chips on the burger, but the sausage and sauce were good.
bobinator
AG
For me the play at burger mojo is the double rebel yell queso burger or the spicy patty melt.
Costa and Andreas
Thank you both for your business!

Today we are making our newest LTO for social media pics….

The Chile Relleno Burger.

It's always been a huge hit at our other concepts. It's got a creamy cheese chile relleno and chipotle awesome sauce! Watch for it!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
At Mojo get the fried onion rings thrown ONTO any burger you get. Makes it so much better.

The fries there are usually money but like a lot of other places fries have good days and not so good days.

Hate to semi derail and I know Mojo is trying to prop up local business but I really wish they'd switch over to coke products. Anytime I see the Boots I pass on soda (which is probably a good thing anyway).
bobinator
AG
I actually like the 'Dr. Delicious' from Boots, but I think that's the only one I've had.
fishoutawater
Biggest and best surprise recently was the burger at the Blackwater Draw food truck. Went great with the Hazy Lady IPA.
EriktheRed
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

At Mojo get the fried onion rings thrown ONTO any burger you get.
This is the correct play!
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Koppe Bridge
Mr. Hamburger
Dixie Chicken/Chicken Oil Co.

Honorable Mentions go to Burger House and Harvey Washbangers.
TyHolden
AG
When is Top of the Hill actually open?
Baron de Bastrop
AG
Shipwreck
3rd on Main
Burger House
Margies
Top of the Hill
Harvey Washbangers
Tibbers
Went to try margies and it's closed. Hours posted it'd be open. It's not. Never again. What is it with small mom and pop shops that can't communicate their hours effectively?
texasaggie2015
AG
Margie's will do that. I think they only have 2-3 employees and two of them are the owners. If something comes up, they gotta close it down. I promise the burgers are worth it.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
As texasaggie2015 said, they are a super small operation.

Why be upset about it? There are plenty of other options for food not a quarter mile away. Go somewhere else, be happy, and try again another day. This is ridiculous.
texasaggie2015
AG
For example, they posted on Facebook back in August that they had a family emergency and had to close early.

Instead of never going back, I would be understanding and go back as soon as you can. You won't be disappointed. I know they were struggling mightily during COVID and I imagine they could use all the business they can get. They're great folks.
legalbird
Things closing randomly.

I think that is the new era. I've seen some weird things lately, and I wonder how the rent can be paid on some of these businesses if they are close 20% of the month.
FlyRod
This got me wondering how much of restaurants closing on and off here or for good are due to changes in rent, rather than Covid or staffing issues.

Rent increases did in a lot of Northgate businesses.
TommyBrady
AG
Went to Joe's. Pretty damn good burger. Will def go back cuz the food was good and I love supporting non chain places as much as I can.

1. Top of the Hill
2. Chicken Oil/ Dixie
3. Koppe Bridge
4. Joe's
5. Harvey Washbangers

I try to rotate around cuz they all have differences that make them unique and delicious.
Tibbers
coleasterling said:

Why be upset about it? There are plenty of other options for food not a quarter mile away. Go somewhere else, be happy, and try again another day. This is ridiculous.

What's ridiculous is traveling 15 minutes to a restaurant that says they are open only to go to it and find it is not. Yes, I chose to eat at one of the other places around the area but that does not excuse the business from being closed. It shows poor management to not simply staff accordingly. It's like telling customers "Eh, we just didn't feel like it today. Try us tomorrow." No, that's ok. I'll just never go there again.
TommyBrady
AG
We get it you ain't going back. Congrats
trouble
AG
Yeah, I'm sure they are choosing to not staff appropriately. I'm certain that's the issue.

Margie's has been here a long, long time. I think they'll be okay with you ever trying to eat there again.
Tibbers
Im sure they will. Not trying to put them out of business or anything.
texasaggie2015
AG
That place is their livelihood. I'm sure there was a good reason why they had to close. I don't find that ridiculous at all, especially for a mom and pop place like Margie's. Considering how hard they've struggled over the past year and a half, I'm sure the last thing they wanted to do was close.

I'm going to be sure to stop by next time I'm in town to make up for it.

And you think they choose not to staff correctly? I can assure you if they had the means to put together a bigger staff they would. They were on the verge of closing about a year ago. They're working their asses off to stay up and running and are doing a very fine job with what they have.
IWannaGoFast1
FlyRod
Didn't they also go through a remodeling right before Covid? That likely set them back so yeah no doubt they've been struggling.

They're good people, the place is iconic, and I'll be sure to visit them soon!
EMY92
AG
Tibbers said:

coleasterling said:

What's ridiculous is traveling 15 minutes to a restaurant that says they are open only to go to it and find it is not. Yes, I chose to eat at one of the other places around the area but that does not excuse the business from being closed. It shows poor management to not simply staff accordingly. It's like telling customers "Eh, we just didn't feel like it today. Try us tomorrow." No, that's ok. I'll just never go there again.
Not in BCS, but I went by 2 fast food restaurants that were closed at lunch last Sunday. All sorts of restaurants are having trouble getting enough staff to keep the doors open.

My local Chick Fil A did away with the curbside pickup and is now drive thru and counter pickup only. Not enough employees to be running to the cars.

Lack of employees is also why many fast food places are still drive thru only. No need to have employees cleaning up after customers.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.