Did George Strait ever play in B/CS?

8,220 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MD20/20
Post removed:
by user
TwoTimeAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Silver Wings Ballroom in Brenham is where I saw him.
halibut sinclair
Huntsville Prison Rodeo in 1985
TellMeMore
November 14, 1985
BwdAg
AG
Around 83 or 84 he did a show at an huge abandoned pipe warehouse near the expo hall. Hell of a show with byob, lots of beer cooler everywhere.

I seem to recall he played hof a few times prior to that as well.

Back then he had his first two records out. You could still dance, by his 3rd album it was just packed. No more dancing.
BwdAg
AG
My best George concert story was a dance hall in Brownwood. It was byob and me and my buddies had some big beer coolers we would carry to such events.

When we were driving to the dance from my friends ranch we came up on two armadillos. This was back when lone star used an armadillo in their advertising. So we thought it would be cool to take them to the party. We put them in one of the coolers and carried them in the dance hall.

The place was packed as you would expect. We let them out and they wobbled off to party. You could tell where they were throughout the night by the random girls screaming.

At the end of night I go over to one of the bars in the club and one of the drunks has one of the armadillos on the bar. Thing was running in place like mad but had no traction. I grabbed him and put him back in the cooler. We went and found the other one and got him. Took them back to the ranch and let them go.

Good fun back in the day.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Rumor has it he did a local small wedding a year or so ago. Obviously it was a private gig and only 30-40 guests.

So small and private he didn't even bring much sound or audio support.
localag88
He played the Rockdale Fair and Rodeo many moons ago when he was just getting started.
Jbob04
AG
Pretty sure I see him at G Rollie back when I was a kid
milner79
If he keeps at it, I believe the young man can make a career out of this singing thing ...
Muzzleblast
Jbob04 said:

Pretty sure I see him at G Rollie back when I was a kid
Correct. I was there.
lawless89
He at least ate at longhorn tavern at the old location on 21. Probably in town for a show? This picture is at the new longhorn and I've got a picture of it because my dad has those doors in the background from the old location installed in one of his buildings.
Hotard_Exists
AG
Yep. Saw him at G. Rollie back in the day. Patty Loveless opened for him.
Post removed:
by user
duffelpud
AG
Bryan Civic Auditorium around 1980-81?
"What's this button do?"
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Rumor has it he did a local small wedding a year or so ago. Obviously it was a private gig and only 30-40 guests.

So small and private he didn't even bring much sound or audio support.

Man I'd hate to be the parents of the bride. Bet that was pricey.
https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
MemphisAg1
AG
Saw him at the Summit in Houston, 1985. Women out-numbered men 3 to1. They got tired of waiting in line for the women's restroom and spilled into the men's. A surreal experience standing at the urinal with a line of women behind you waiting for the stalls.
Aggie
AG
As mentioned George Strait played G Rollie in 1985

Garth Brooks played G Rollie in 1991
Then played 3 nights in a row at Reed in 1998

GRW had some good Concerts back in the 80's to mid 90's
George, Garth, Travis Tritt, Alabama, Randy Travis , The Judd's, Alan Jackson, Reba McIntyre, Brooks and Dunn,

Reed arena had a few first couple years it was opened ( Garth as mentioned, shania Twain, Dixie chicks, had an MTV campus tour concert....but pretty much none since then.

Olsen
AG
Rumor going around that A&M/12th Man Foundation is working out a deal for George Strait and Chris Stapleton to play at Kyle Field in June 2024.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
Olsen said:

Rumor going around that A&M/12th Man Foundation is working out a deal for George Strait and Chris Stapleton to play at Kyle Field in June 2024.

Hopefully complete the dome over Kyle first if it's a concert in June.. In the alternative, make sure concessions has enough cold water (and beer, obviously) for the number of people in the stands.

And an available sausage in a pretzel, unlike at Aggie games!
AggieBaseball06
AG
Did you see this on Reddit or do you have a more reliable source?
AggiePhil
AG
TwoTimeAg said:

The roller rink?
halibut sinclair
AggiePhil said:

TwoTimeAg said:

The roller rink?

Yep, they had concerts there back in the day. I saw Gary Morris there around 1988.
SW AG80
AG
Aggie said:

As mentioned George Strait played G Rollie in 1985

Garth Brooks played G Rollie in 1991
Then played 3 nights in a row at Reed in 1998

GRW had some good Concerts back in the 80's to mid 90's
George, Garth, Travis Tritt, Alabama, Randy Travis , The Judd's, Alan Jackson, Reba McIntyre, Brooks and Dunn,

Reed arena had a few first couple years it was opened ( Garth as mentioned, shania Twain, Dixie chicks, had an MTV campus tour concert....but pretty much none since then.

Some good ones in the 70s too.
Elton John
Linda Ronstadt
Charlie Pride
The Beach Boys
Mel Tillis
Bunk Moreland
Mr.Short-termMemory said:

Olsen said:

Hopefully complete the dome over Kyle first if it's a concert in June.. In the alternative, make sure concessions has enough cold water (and beer, obviously) for the number of people in the stands.

And an available sausage in a pretzel, unlike at Aggie games!

Don't sit in SEZ 200's... Audio will be nonexistent!
O.G.
His son went to school at A&M.

During that approximate time, Strait played the basketball arena at Tech, in Lubbock. With minimal effort he could could have been brought in to play Reed Arena, but ThatCantBeDoneHerebecause of FillInTheBlankExcuses...
gettingitdone
saw Steve Wariner there back in 1988
Dustoff00
AG
I think I still have my ticket stub for that Steve Warner concert…
Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces
Olsen
AG
ratfacemcdougal
MemphisAg1 said:

Saw him at the Summit in Houston, 1985. Women out-numbered men 3 to1. They got tired of waiting in line for the women's restroom and spilled into the men's. A surreal experience standing at the urinal with a line of women behind you waiting for the stalls.
That pee line was at EVERY concert I went to. Everybody was just so cool about it.
MD20/20
AG
Saw George Strait on a week night at Hall of Fame around '81 or so just before he hit it big. He was a great Texas dance hall singer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.