Midtown Water Tower

16,421 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bullpen Chias
Smeghead4761
How long do you want to ignore this user?
chickencoupe16 said:

Langenator said:

If you're not someone who studies big cats for a living, can you even tell a cougar paw from a tiger paw (or in this case, a super scaled up house cat paw)?

The Cougar paw would be on the Tower Point, uh, tower, most appropriately.

Tigers are maroon and cougars are purple. Duh.
I thought tigers were orange with black stripes and cougars were kind of tan.

Unless you're talking about the Panzer VI, and 40-something year old women on the prowl in Northgate.
Aggieland Proud
AG
Anyone know when they are going to raise it? We might have a tailgate party to watch.
happyinBCS
They are waiting on the painters
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Was about to start my own thread, glad I've found this one.

Been wondering why no action.
oldag941
AG
I have worked on many of these type of tower projects; and probably with the contractor building this one. It's a national contractor that has different crews for each phase of the build. There is usually a ground-paint phase and an aerial-paint phase. A crew specific to the paint. They shift and program their crews around the country based on which phase of each project is in. So if weather delays one, then there is a domino effect. Our recent experience is that they are very busy and have staff transitions; hence we have seen delays on other projects with them. Bottom line is like someone said, they are waiting on the paint crew. If they have attached lighting, that will happen then too. Then they will raise the tank (which is boring and slow). Then weld it in place. Painting and lighting is cheaper and easier to install and correct on the ground vs. in the air.
Tailgate88
AG
One of the coolest things about TexAgs ... there is almost always an expert who can educate the rest of us about nearly anything. Thanks for the insight, sir!

Esteban du Plantier
AG
Drove by and saw them painting. My wife and I both exclaimed at the same time 'they're rolling it?'
91_Aggie
AG
I ran by it a little before noon and it was still all patchy.
Drove by again around 6:30pm and the entire top part seemed to solid white. That was quick.
MisterShipWreck
91_Aggie said:

Drove by again around 6:30pm and the entire top part seemed to solid white. That was quick.

I saw them painting it around 4:10pm yesterday... With rollers. I would have thought they would have sprayed it with a spray gun
75AG
AG
Clearly, they're paid by the hour.
Monywolf
MisterShipWreck said:

91_Aggie said:

I saw them painting it around 4:10pm yesterday... With rollers. I would have thought they would have sprayed it with a spray gun
Probably a painters union.
mr83tr88
AG
I hope someone shares the date and time it will be assembled. That will be neat to watch.
Hornbeck
75AG said:

Clearly, they're paid by the hour.

Who cares? It's just taxpayers' money!
etmydst
AG
Y'all don't know **** about what they're doing, but go on and make your assumptions.
atm86
AG
They are just waiting for the announcement for the new HEB at the water tower…
AggiePhil
AG
And now it's flesh colored. Yuck!
91_Aggie
AG
AggiePhil said:

And now it's flesh colored. Yuck!

That is racist
TexAg1987
Same as the other CS water towers.

Blue tape in spots. Appears to be marking layout of logos. Expect those to be painted soon.
MiMi
S
Looks like it will be a pretty boring water tower. Heaven forbid we use a different color palette or design scheme.

New water tower in College Station gets painted with new logo

At least it will be easier to clean.
Quote:

That water tower has a tan color instead of white like the other ones in town, so that it's easier to keep clean and so that the lettering on it will stand out, according to city staff.

AggiePhil
AG
Ok I take back my yuck comment. With the maroon text, I think it looks awesome!
mtec
I think it looks really nice. I like the color better than stark white and the maroon text looks nice. People were hating all over in the KBTX comments. Looks good to me! Looking forward to seeing the bowl raised!
BQ_90
AG
WELCOME TO THE AGGIEDOME OR GTFO
isitjustme
AG
On Facebook there are lots of likes and loves on the news story, but most of the comments are hilariously mocking and ragging on the tower.
FearNoWeevil
AG
"Aggie Tan", as we refer to it on campus.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I think it looks good
GTdad
waterchick said:

Great question! 3 million gallons.

https://blog.cstx.gov/2020/12/09/whats-the-tall-candy-cane-thing-on-highway-6/
That's roughly 15,000 tons, or a little more than half of what the battleship Texas weighs.

The engineering of those columns must be pretty interesting.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
College Station keeping it classy. Gotta make sure people know they are the real home of A&M...
Tailgate88
AG
coleasterling said:

College Station keeping it classy. Gotta make sure people know they are the real home of A&M...
I noticed on the Auburn game broadcast on CBS, they always referred to "Bryan/College Station", not just College Station...
91_Aggie
AG
coleasterling said:

It says "The Heart of Aggieland"... Bryan can pick whatever organ they want to be. "The Spleen of Aggieland" "The Appendix of Aggieland" etc.
EliteElectric
91_Aggie said:

coleasterling said:

It says "The Heart of Aggieland"... Bryan can pick whatever organ they want to be. "The Spleen of Aggieland" "The Appendix of Aggieland" etc.
By the way the two city governments have performed over the last 2 decades I vote Bryan "The Brains of Aggieland" and there shouldn't be much argument
Esteban du Plantier
AG

Lift starts tomorrow at 8am.
mason12
AG
I went by this morning and could tell it's moved.
halibut sinclair
mason12 said:

I went by this morning and could tell it's moved.

OceanStateAg
AG
"And yet it moves" - Galileo Galilei
91_Aggie
AG
It was almost the top around 11:30am
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.