Speed on Hwy 6

6,761 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Stucco
cajunken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
techno-ag said:

75AG said:

My favorite drivers are (1) those entering Hwy 6 at about 28 MPH, and (2) those exiting SB Hwy 6 at Barron then jumping across three lanes to turn at Graham. Great fun and excitement!
IIRC an older lady stopped on one of the entrance ramps a couple years back or so, waiting for traffic to clear. A college student promptly slammed into her.
This ^^. I will lay on my horn when idiots slow to a crawl or stop at the top of the Barron ramp waiting for traffic to clear so they can cross two lanes to turn on Graham. If you must turn on Graham Road, GET OFF AT THE ROCK PRAIRIE EXIT!!
Love Gun
cajunken said:

techno-ag said:

75AG said:

My favorite drivers are (1) those entering Hwy 6 at about 28 MPH, and (2) those exiting SB Hwy 6 at Barron then jumping across three lanes to turn at Graham. Great fun and excitement!
IIRC an older lady stopped on one of the entrance ramps a couple years back or so, waiting for traffic to clear. A college student promptly slammed into her.
This ^^. I will lay on my horn when idiots slow to a crawl or stop at the top of the Barron ramp waiting for traffic to clear so they can cross two lanes to turn on Graham. If you must turn on Graham Road, GET OFF AT THE ROCK PRAIRIE EXIT!!

I can't stress this enough. I've also found that if you are going to Barron, it's so much easier to stay in the off ramp lane until you pass Graham.
ratfacemcdougal
All of the above applies to the rock prairie exit with people stopping to turn onto Pinon
pacecar02
The intown trend I've noticed recently is that everyone will be cruising about 40 and then some driver in front will just drop to half speed for no reason

I pull beside them only to see them on their phones. Can we not, please?! Just drive!
BQ_90
AG
Love Gun said:

cajunken said:

techno-ag said:

75AG said:

I can't stress this enough. I've also found that if you are going to Barron, it's so much easier to stay in the off ramp lane until you pass Graham.
I tend to not want anymore lane barriers in this city, but they need to erect a wall where if you exit you can't turn on Barron unless you wanna drive thru the wall
Aggie
AG
Stupe said:

If you've almost been clipped but not clipped....that's just good space recognition by the driver doing the passing.

Or I've prevented being clipped by hitting my brakes
AgFan247
AG
OP is probably driving in the morning. Before 7:30am, NB 6 fast lane is moving around 80mph at least . Coming back SB 6 after work sucks. No one seems to understand that the onramp is to get up to HWY speed and people in the fast lane see braking in the slow lane and then brake themselves, I am also like other posters in wishing everyone understood the left lane is for passing only, and don't get me started on the idiots slowing down to rubberneck accidents on the other side of the freaking HWY!

Not a fan of anyone stopping to get over to Graham, or Chick-Fil-A from the turnaround at 6 and 40 (if you cant get over in the flow of traffic, move along and come back around, I just turn at Stella's or go down to Barron if I cant get over to Graham), but if they would have just made both normal and not put in 100 feet of barrier at either the off ramp or the turn around, it probably would have been a bit better. Somehow we all get over for the tacos at Garpez from the turn around @ 6 and Harvey or to get gas from Sam's and many other places without a dumb long barrier??????

GiveEmHellBill
AG
cajunken said:

techno-ag said:

75AG said:

I have no issue laying on my horn for this idiots.

If I could swap out the horn noise in my vehicle, I would change it to my voice screaming 'A**HOLE!!!!!!!!!!"
Post removed:
by user
Love Gun
Slocum on a mobile said:

Wanna know why there's so many fatalities between Hearne and Bryan? All the folks like OP driving 60 in the left lane, right side by side with another person doing 60 in the right... people get bent out of shape, and try and pass on a 4 lane undivided.

Pretty simple. Happens all the time.

That, and that stretch widens and narrows like it's cool
Post removed:
by user
jj.5150
No , I'm not driving 60 in the left lane ... I'm driving the speed limit in the right lane & trying to avoid the idiots driving to damn fast , weaving between the two lanes , on their phones & putting on make up ... yeah , I see it all every day .
Buford T. Justice
AG
I routinely drive to Houston for work, and to the OP's point, there has definitely been a heightened "NASCAR" feel to the drive within the past month.
If you're not going 80+, you need to really drive defensively.
Aggie
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

Wanna know why there's so many fatalities between Hearne and Bryan? All the folks like OP driving 60 in the left lane, right side by side with another person doing 60 in the right... people get bent out of shape, and try and pass on a 4 lane undivided.

Pretty simple. Happens all the time.

While I do agree people going slower in the left lane does cause more problems.
I have never understood the driver that thinks they have to pass.
You use 6 between Hearne and Bryan as an example so I'll go with that.
Someone is driving same flow of traffic and blocking you from getting around so you decide to pass in a pretty dangerous area.. why? In 10 minutes or less in either direction you will be in Hearne or in Bryan and easily will be able to get around. Why pass to save what? How much further down the road will you be ? A mile or 2 so gaining maybe a minute to minute and half ... is that worth the risk??

I see the same thing on Wellborn in Millican all the time. People drive like crazy and pass cars in a no passing zone all to end up saving less than a mile by the time they get to town.

scd88
AG
Traffic and stoplights. The great equalizer.
jj.5150
I'm glad some on here see it from my point of view , Buford , Aggie & scd88 . I've been driving 6 for well over 30 years & there has definitely been an increase in aggressive driving the past several years .

For you tailgate 88 , no need for your bs comment !
doubledog
BQ_90 said:

Love Gun said:

cajunken said:

techno-ag said:

75AG said:

I tend to not want anymore lane barriers in this city, but they need to erect a wall where if you exit you can't turn on Barron unless you wanna drive thru the wall
AND install one of these forced turn barriers on Graham road.

pacecar02
I get what your saying but i disagree with the "pack" driving

If you are not actively passing a car then get in the right lane

If you are not going to pass a car in 20 or 30 seconds, stay in the right lane

The left lane is for actively passing traffic
Trucker 96
pacecar02 said:

I get what your saying but i disagree with the "pack" driving

If you are not actively passing a car then get in the right lane

If you are not going to pass a car in 20 or 30 seconds, stay in the right lane

The left lane is for actively passing traffic

It should be, but in the case of pack driving where you are not the lead vehicle, if you move right while continuing at the same speed as the pack, you basically just set up a Mexican road block. That is even worse
pacecar02
The road block is being commited by that person in the left lane not passing

They should be ticketed regardless of speed, if you are not passing move right
Trucker 96
pacecar02 said:

The road block is being commited by that person in the left lane not passing

They should be ticketed regardless of speed, if you are not passing move right

True, but when there are still 2+ cars left, you move right by yourself and maintain the same speed, you are part of the roadblock. You may be trying to do the right thing, but without you, the roadblock doesnt exist
pacecar02
If 2 cars or more are stacked up on the left, the lead driver should catch a friggin clue
jeffk
AG
I rarely encounter another driver doing 60 or less in the left lane of 6 around BCS. I'm sure it happens, but not frequently in my daily driving experience. I do however see A LOT of drivers going 80+ run up right on someone passing someone while going the speed limit. I like to drive faster than the speed limit but have to remind myself that it's not my right to create a dangerous situation by failing to read the flow of traffic and tailgate folks who aren't going as fast as I want them to.
ontheedge
jeffk said:

I rarely encounter another driver doing 60 or less in the left lane of 6 around BCS. I'm sure it happens, but not frequently in my daily driving experience. I do however see A LOT of drivers going 80+ run up right on someone passing someone while going the speed limit. I like to drive faster than the speed limit but have to remind myself that it's not my right to create a dangerous situation by failing to read the flow of traffic and tailgate folks who aren't going as fast as I want them to.
Thank you.
jj.5150
Darn nice for few to see things from my point of view ,@ you jeffk !
Maybe I'm not as much of problem as others seem to think !!
Goose83
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

jj.5150 said:

The speed on Hwy 6 is absolutely ridiculous , may as well raise the limit to 85-90 if no one is going to bother to control it .
what is funny is I go no more than 75 in this area and i am passing people right and left all the time
Reminds me of the old days driving at night on Loop 610 doing 80 MPH, and people would be flying past you in the leftmost lane.

I remember one night when I got from the Astrodome to College Station in just little over an hour.

Post removed:
by user
Goose83
AG
jeffk said:

Speeding is bad enough, but there's nothing worse than coming up on a memaw doing 50 MPH (or less) on the Bypass. As annoying as speeders are, I can compensate for them, but when you come up on someone (unexpectedly) going 30MPH under the limit, that's a whole other ballgame.
Post removed:
by user
Trucker 96
pacecar02 said:

If 2 cars or more are stacked up on the left, the lead driver should catch a friggin clue

This goes without saying (or should), but nevertheless, not my point
MiMi
S
Quote:

Happens every day between Barron and Fitch going south. The folks existing Fitch must think the speed limit is 40.
This x1000. I will sometimes exit Barron and travel the feeder road to Fitch instead of coming to near stop on the Hwy 6 overpass when trying to exit on the Fitch offramp.

I do like the new Hwy 6 widening planned with the proposed Fitch exit only lane. Too bad it will be years before it's realized.
JP76
Goose83 said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

jj.5150 said:

The speed on Hwy 6 is absolutely ridiculous , may as well raise the limit to 85-90 if no one is going to bother to control it .
what is funny is I go no more than 75 in this area and i am passing people right and left all the time
Reminds me of the old days driving at night on Loop 610 doing 80 MPH, and people would be flying past you in the leftmost lane.

I remember one night when I got from the Astrodome to College Station in just little over an hour.

Old days ?

I just made this drive last night back to BCS and at 9 P.M. on 610 cars blew by me while doing a slow 82 in the right lane
Stucco
You don't really have a choice though. You can't legally ride in the left lane regardless of the traffic in front of you.

What you can do is honk at the car riding in the left lane in front of you and they are legally obligated to move right and let you pass. Not that I would do that very often, but that's the way it was intended to work.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.