ROO petition

8,668 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Brian Alg
Brian Alg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Some of the folks with the BCS Realtors organization have a petition going to let College Station City Council know there are a bunch of people who don't want to see the ROO implemented. Please consider signing if you are against the ROO, especially if you are in College Station.

https://www.change.org/p/college-station-city-council-stop-the-college-station-roo
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
Tailgate88
AG
Why? They're so cute!

Stupe
S
If the homeowners in a neighborhood want to do that, the homeowners in the neighborhood should have the right to vote on it.

It shouldn't be a simple majority. At least 70% and there should be some grandfathering. But they definitely should be able to do so.
halibut sinclair
I'm all for it. Same thing Bryan has - Residential Neighborhood Conservation District. Our phase of our subdivision had to vote on it. It takes 58% in Bryan. Lots of areas are RNC zoned now.

https://www.bryantx.gov/neighborhood-conservation-districts/
threecatcorner
What are ROO and RNC? Is this the "no more than 2 unrelated"?
halibut sinclair
threecatcorner said:

What are ROO and RNC? Is this the "no more than 2 unrelated"?
Yes.
Donny Hall
I love my Munson neighborhood and support the ROO.

I also dont mind college kid neighbors. I live in a college town. Its the price of admission.

Similar ROOs exist in every single college town across the country. It protects the older areas that didn't think kids would ever be living six deep into family neighborhoods.

We didnt have an HOA in the 1950s on our street, but we sure have some weird racist **** in our deeds.

Either way this is funny to watch. I own a few other properties in the area and will make money either way. Just a little less with families. And if that makes it a better place to live, and a better community, I'm ok with that.

AC Hopper
S
The ROO is good.
It is long overdue. My compliments to an enlightened city council for passing it.
The grandfathering provisions are extremely generous and protect the interests/investments of current, rent-by-the-room landlords.
Pot-banging real estate folk, property managers, developer moguls, and hangers-on can't have it all.
dubi
AG
I'm for the ROO.

Several years ago we worked to amend an existing deed restriction for our street to make it no more than 2 unrelated. We now have 5 new families on our street instead of 5 student rentals.

It did lower the value of my house, but as mentioned above it is worth the quality of living. No noise at night. No cars all lined up on the street.
turfman80
AG
Developers, real estate people,etc have way too much sway in B/CS. I hope the ROO passes to give regular citizens more influence in how their neighborhoods evolve.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
UhOhNoAgTag
turfman80 said:

Developers, real estate people,etc have way too much sway in B/CS. I hope the ROO passes to give regular citizens more influence in how their neighborhoods evolve.

AMEN!
agnerd
AG
I generally prefer less government interference in my life. If I wanted someone to tell me what I can and can't do with my property, I would've moved into an HOA. And here I thought College Station was conservative...
cavscout96
texAZtea
AG
20 years ago to get a certain merit badge or something I attended a city council meeting. I remember the big ticket item was something like this, and it was mostly this old guy complaining that his student neighbor's dropped F bombs in the morning on the way to their car.
Chase
AG
texAZtea said:

20 years ago to get a certain merit badge or something I attended a city council meeting. I remember the big ticket item was something like this, and it was mostly this old guy complaining that his student neighbor's dropped F bombs in the morning on the way to their car.
Yeah, as someone else said, when you live in a college town, having kids around is part of the price of admission but the complaints aren't just of the yelling at clouds variety

I'm in a neighborhood that has become overrun with the stealth dorms and, despite Bryan's ordinances, they're living 4-8 people deep per house. I've had my yard driven through by a 4x4, my mailbox knocked down, kids jumping into my back yard from an adjacent back yard 3 times in the last 2 years and kids peeing in my front yard once, neighbor's front yard 3 times and in the street behind a parked car more than I can count, all visible from my kid's windows.

And that says nothing about the noise, beer bottles, trash and cans all down the street, the giant water slides and beer pong tables left in the yards/driveways 24/7 or the joy that is navigating the single-file funnel entering or exiting our street, where you can count on someone opening a car door into traffic 2-3 times a week on you.

I can understand someone that owns a rent house not wanting to lose their investment because of one of these ordinances but, even when they do exist, they aren't accomplishing much unless actively enforced.
texAZtea
AG
Looks like I found the old man from my story! If you notice, I made no statement passing judgement either way.

The ROO would benefit me, as a non-student with a family currently looking for a place to rent because I can't beat the cash offers above asking price sight unseen coming out of left field these days. Having neighborhoods where I'm not competing with students for a lease would be nice.
veritas47
I think the ROO will allow neighborhoods to maintain their character and not become like the College Hills dorm community.
Chase
AG
texAZtea said:

Looks like I found the old man from my story! If you notice, I made no statement passing judgement either way.

The ROO would benefit me, as a non-student with a family currently looking for a place to rent because I can't beat the cash offers above asking price sight unseen coming out of left field these days. Having neighborhoods where I'm not competing with students for a lease would be nice.
LOL...yeah, I did notice...no worries. I'm not especially bothered by most of it but there are some larger issues beyond what is typically discussed.

It's a situation where I can see both sides, honestly. As a business owner, I get the city wanting to maximize revenue and an investor wanting to make money from an asset. As a taxpayer, a lot of what you deal with in this scenario is frustrating.

I left off the one that becomes a real interesting discussion. It's both good and bad for non-students and is the reason Bryan is pushing so hard to keep the higher number for unrelated residents -- property taxes.

Every time someone buys a house and tears it down to build multiple in it's place (as many of these investors are doing), the purchase price is listed at the central appraisal district (CAD) as the LAND purchase price, inflating property taxes all around the college houses.

That's great for city income and, by extension, for residents using city services. It CAN be good for resale value or it can put the value of an existing house beyond what the neighborhood can actually get from anyone other than an investor looking to do the same thing.

At that point, the taxpayers that have supported Bryan can get stuck without the ability to sell it to anyone other than one of these investors because of the increased "value" and now has to pay a good deal more in taxes because of the inflated land values, something like the CAD states flatly are not open for protestation.
Trucker 96
50% + 1 of your neighbors able to massively restrict how you use your private property in a college town doesn't seem right. I can certainly see the appeal to single family residents, but i value a property owner's rights more. At a minimum, 50% + 1 is a ridiculously low bar
Brian Alg
texAZtea said:

Why do you think that limiting the supply of housing is going to reduce the cost of housing?

Is supply and demand that unintuitive? If we

1) Allow more square footage to be built near campus
B) Let students and campus-complimentary business pack into the square footage that is already near campus

It will free up land/housing for non-students and other less-campusy uses further out. Passing laws like the ROO to disallow compatible use would prevent things from getting sorted out on their own more sensibly
Brian Alg

Trucker 96
Seems like more efforts should be spent focused on preventing and cleaning up the negatives that come with 60k+ college students living in the town vs stuff like this that just shuffles problems around and inhibits rightful property owners
texAZtea
AG
I'm not sure why it seems like I'm pissing in everyone's cheerios today, but I guess I could respond line by line to this one:

Quote:

Why do you think that limiting the supply of housing is going to reduce the cost of housing?
That may be true when you look at the whole city, but what I said was eliminating demand in some neighborhoods would allow people like me a better chance to actually find housing before it's scooped up by students who aren't tied up from 8-5 during the week to go look at houses.

Quote:

Is supply and demand that unintuitive?

It's incredibly intuitive. However, if you read my post you would see that I'm not talking about decreasing supply but creating zones where demand is decreased by keeping the "underground dorms" out. I get that creates a decreased supply for students, but it helps people like me who are currently getting steam rolled by students given the fact that I work during the day and can't go look at houses in between class.

Quote:

If we

1) Allow more square footage to be built near campus
B) Let students and campus-complimentary business pack into the square footage that is already near campus

It will free up land/housing for non-students and other less-campusy uses further out. Passing laws like the ROO to disallow compatible use would prevent things from getting sorted out on their own more sensibly
I'm struggling to find the part of my post where I say we shouldn't build more square footage near campus and let students and complimentary business pack into the square footage that is already near campus. It's not like they're outlawing apartment buildings and restaurants. I'm almost positive the whole argument is about whether neighborhoods should be able to vote on whether they want college rent houses or not.
Brian Alg
Chase said:

Every time someone buys a house and tears it down to build multiple in it's place (as many of these investors are doing), the purchase price is listed at the central appraisal district (CAD) as the LAND purchase price, inflating property taxes all around the college houses.

Land prices are high (near campus and generally) because people are willing to pay a high price to control it. It isn't the ag shacks that are causing the land to become valuable. The ag shacks are coming in because it is a land-efficient way to house people near campus. Small single-family homes with big yards are a relatively inefficient use of that very valuable land.

Land prices around campus are $1.2 million/acre because 60k students and a whole bunch of professors and whatnot go there every day. The students often go several times a day. They want to live near campus and are willing to pay to make that happen. That is getting people to come up with ways to create more housing units per acre. The land price causes ag-shacks, not the other way around.

If somebody were to put an ag shack up in the outskirts of Hearne, the land prices would not go up to $1.2 million/acre.
Brian Alg

texAZtea
AG
There's a lot more to it than I know about, I'm sure. I happen to be on the end of the deal where I would like the ROO in this moment. I'm sure when I get to the point where I can buy and have to start worrying about taxes and resale value I will change my tune.
Sarvab
ROO's gonna pass. Thank God!
AC Hopper
S
City Council just passed the ROO -- not sure the votes for & against.
Trucker 96
Yay for losing some freedom over your property due to 50% + 1 of your neighbors deciding so
lawless89
I lived in a 3 bedroom 1 bath house in college with six other guys on South Dexter. Rent was something like $185/month to each of us! Was awesome in college, but can't imagine having us as neighbors now. And yes, we kept our bathroom clean.
taxpreparer
AG
Nobody should be able to change the rules about how I use my property after I buy it. If the ordinance did not exist before my purchase, it is theft to restrict me afterwards.

You (should) know the zoning and other restrictions when you but a property, and should expect to use the property based on those rules.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
Sarvab
It was 5-2 - Cunha and Mooney voting against
PS3D
How many the landlords that would be affected by the ROO actually live in the area, as opposed to being absentee slumlords landlords out of Houston?
hopeandrealchange
Chase said:

texAZtea said:

Yeah, as someone else said, when you live in a college town, having kids around is part of the price of admission but the complaints aren't just of the yelling at clouds variety

I'm in a neighborhood that has become overrun with the stealth dorms and, despite Bryan's ordinances, they're living 4-8 people deep per house. I've had my yard driven through by a 4x4, my mailbox knocked down, kids jumping into my back yard from an adjacent back yard 3 times in the last 2 years and kids peeing in my front yard once, neighbor's front yard 3 times and in the street behind a parked car more than I can count, all visible from my kid's windows.

And that says nothing about the noise, beer bottles, trash and cans all down the street, the giant water slides and beer pong tables left in the yards/driveways 24/7 or the joy that is navigating the single-file funnel entering or exiting our street, where you can count on someone opening a car door into traffic 2-3 times a week on you.

I can understand someone that owns a rent house not wanting to lose their investment because of one of these ordinances but, even when they do exist, they aren't accomplishing much unless actively enforced.

If only we had city codes that covered all of the items you mentioned. Oh wait we do.
My vote is to enforce the rules we have on the books before we come up with more that can't be enforced.
Smeghead4761
taxpreparer said:

Nobody should be able to change the rules about how I use my property after I buy it. If the ordinance did not exist before my purchase, it is theft to restrict me afterwards.

You (should) know the zoning and other restrictions when you but a property, and should expect to use the property based on those rules.
Not theft per se, but it would sure make for an interesting Fifth Amendment takings case if someone wanted to pursue it.
Brian Alg
Fore Left! said:

Yay for losing some freedom over your property due to 50% + 1 of your neighbors deciding so

Luckily a simple majority on a future council can restore property rights to anyone affected. The staff made it clear that unlike voluntary agreements between neighbors to enact these kinds of restrictions, this is meant to be completely and immediately reversible.
Brian Alg

313-7-12thMan
taxpreparer said:

Last year it was impervious coverage. This year it's the ROO.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.