Solar installers

3,634 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by badbilly
badbilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone put in panels and have a recommendation? I've grown weary of ERCOT and our state government's ability to fix this.
Rex Racer
AG
Solar panels won't help you when they are covered in snow.
herb11
AG
We have panels from SunPro, will be getting a Powerwall after this fiasco. Our panels were not covered in snow and when we were allowed electricity they were producing power.
Mister Mystery Guest
" when we were allowed electricity" (???)
herb11
AG
We don't have power except for when BTU turns our neighborhood circuit on. Our solar is connected to the grid and we do not have a battery. So when the power is shut down by BTU, it shuts our solar panels off so that we aren't back feeding to the grid.

So yes, when we are allowed electricity, via BTU turning the power back on, our panels are turned back on and then can generate power.
BANA89
AG
kdg11 said:

We don't have power except for when BTU turns our neighborhood circuit on. Our solar is connected to the grid and we do not have a battery. So when the power is shut down by BTU, it shuts our solar panels off so that we aren't back feeding to the grid.

So yes, when we are allowed electricity, via BTU turning the power back on, our panels are turned back on and then can generate power.

That's garbage...
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
herb11
AG
We will be getting a battery after this is all said and done. If we had had access to our solar panels while the sun was shining, our home would have been less of a burden on the grid. A battery will also help reduce power interruption in the future. Unfortunately we learned this lesson the hard way. If you get panels, get a battery.
badbilly
AG
Rex Racer said:

Friend in Dallas area has them and the snow quickly slid off and he was producing power the same morning.
KidDoc
AG
Solar through Sunpro and got powerwall through Hay's energy services since Sunpro didn't offer it at the time. As expected my solar has been poor during this storm but we've had 0 hours without power with Tesla Powerwall due to the Storm Watch feature.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
harrierdoc
AG
You wouldn't say that if you were a lineman working on a power line that you THOUGHT was turned off.
herb11
AG
Yes, it is an important safety feature!
harrierdoc
AG
We used Texas green energy. Felt the quality of the LG panels was very close to the sunpro offering. Local and about 15-20% less expensive for similar producing system.
CrottyKid
AG
The power wall is the way to go.
aggiebeck
Malek Service Company offers whole-home generators and solar panel installation.

Great guys, check them out!
jac4
AG
This may be a question for Malek or another installer, but I'll try here anyways.

We are about to start the building process, so looking in to a Powerwall or a generator has piqued our interest. Our lot will have natural gas from Atmos. Would a natural gas generator make sense? Last house had a 1000 gallon propane tank so a propane generator would have made sense.

I doubt we will have room for solar panels, so I'm not sure that a powerwall is the right thing for us. Although, there's a good chance that we will have an electric vehicle while we are in this house.
techno-ag
AG
jac4 said:

This may be a question for Malek or another installer, but I'll try here anyways.

We are about to start the building process, so looking in to a Powerwall or a generator has piqued our interest. Our lot will have natural gas from Atmos. Would a natural gas generator make sense? Last house had a 1000 gallon propane tank so a propane generator would have made sense.

I doubt we will have room for solar panels, so I'm not sure that a powerwall is the right thing for us. Although, there's a good chance that we will have an electric vehicle while we are in this house.
Very happy with our whole home generator so far. We spent about $8,000 and rolled it into the construction costs. I wouldn't build a new house without it thanks to hurricanes, thunderstorms and ice storms. As our state transitions to more green energy I suspect we'll be using it more and more in the years ahead.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
BANA89
AG
harrierdoc said:

You wouldn't say that if you were a lineman working on a power line that you THOUGHT was turned off.
I've got no problem with turning power for worker safety. It's the complete waste of energy from solar panels during times like this that is stupid. The inability to use solar panel power during a blackout is absurd.
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
ratfacemcdougal
The Tesla solar shingles are made to melt snow and ice.
TexasAggie_02
AG
badbilly said:

Rex Racer said:

Friend in Dallas area has them and the snow quickly slid off and he was producing power the same morning.

I think on a home with an elevated roof on a steep pitch, it would be fine. But on most solar farms that I've seen they are fairly close to the ground, and it would be easy for them to get covered in a snow drift in a severe storm like last week, or even the less severe one in January.
lockett93
AG
BANA89 said:

harrierdoc said:

I've got no problem with turning power for worker safety. It's the complete waste of energy from solar panels during times like this that is stupid. The inability to use solar panel power during a blackout is absurd.

You would think you would have a disconnect to remove yourself from the grid and be able to enjoy your own panels
badbilly
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

badbilly said:

Rex Racer said:

I think on a home with an elevated roof on a steep pitch, it would be fine. But on most solar farms that I've seen they are fairly close to the ground, and it would be easy for them to get covered in a snow drift in a severe storm like last week, or even the less severe one in January.

Good thing we don't have 8 ft snow drifts here. I had no power for hours on end with ERCOT's rolling blackouts and frozen lines. Solar can't be worse than that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.