Continuing Education Classes?

1,073 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by threecatcorner
Aggies76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does A&M or Blinn offer evening education classes for the community? I've lived in a few college towns and I've always been able to find these classes, but so far, I've not heard of any here.
TimsParents
S
I agree we've lived in 5 major college towns and TAMU is the only one that doesn't have them
Gig'Em & God Bless
lost my dog
Classes in what subject area?

A&M's strengths are in a lot of areas which don't lend themselves into people dropping in for one course. Engineering and science courses have a lot of prerequisites, and you would be fighting current students for a seat. There are College of Education courses in the evening for professionals, but those again are professionally oriented. I imagine the College of Liberal Arts could offer more of interest to the general public, but they also have their hands full with a lot of undergrad teaching. You can't expect to bump a current student to get into a drawing class (just to pick something which would have small enrollment.)

My big-picture take is that the teaching mission of the University is more than satisfied by the undergrad and grad student demands, and that the extension teaching mission of the Ag College and TEEX is aimed at ag producers and first responder types etc. This doesn't leave a lot of room for the general public.

But you should inquire at the College/Department teaching in the area of your interest. You never know what could be possible.

rsa
AG
Blinn has typically offered their Leisure Learning classes each semester, but they do not have a current schedule posted.
CEAg78
AG
City of CS and/or CSISD used to offer Community Education Classes. Not currently listed on either website.

Both this and Blinn's version may be COVID/budget victims.
Somebody has to lose. Might as well be t.u.
ro828
When we lived in Alvin I took several community ed classes, but I don't remember Blinn ever getting much into that. And now with covid that's kind of out of the question. You might check this out as a temporary solution. https://www.edx.org/
Aggies76
AG
Thanks everyone.

I just remember taking classes in photography, programming and even fluff classes like "how to plan your trip to Hawaii" at other college towns I've lived in.

I'm interested in a class in beginning conversational Mandarin.
threecatcorner
A&M at least used to have some, definitely some art-related classes. Sketching and stained glass were both offered, not sure what else. I also have no clue when they last offered anything like that.

As far as the cities, I think it's covid-related, but I think it's not just budget-related. They can't allow enough people in person to have a class, and they're not set up for doing them virtually.

My guess is A&M and Blinn would also be more limited currently unless they decide to offer those types of classes remotely, either as online classes or on TV. If there are people stuck at home and bored, maybe they should offer some stuff for people in the community to do in some distance format.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.