Shooting at Hensel Park

14,802 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by lethalninja
The Anchor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oklaunion said:

If a law enforcement officer is responding to a call of a person getting shot and then the officer is targeted by the assailant, why is that not attempted capital murder? Just asking because I don't know the answer.
Because attempted capital murder would be a first degree felony and the DA's office would have to prove that the suspect was attempting to kill the cop.

If you charge him with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon it is also a first degree felony and it is much easier to prove to a jury.

It's the same penalty for both offenses and it is much easier to prove that the suspect shot at the cop instead of proving he shot at the cop trying to kill him.
Smeghead4761
histag10 said:

There really havent been details released. Is it possible it was a self defense shooting, and the shooter didnt realize it was law enforcement when the constable drove up? Their cars arent like other LEO vehicles in the area. The constable didnt return fire, so i would assume at that point, the guy put down his gun and complied.

Attempting to claim self defense for shooting at a uniformed deputy driving a marked patrol vehicle would be a heck of a stretch, even if he was a completely innocent individual just out for a walk. For an individual who had shot someone 20-25 minutes previously, then fled the scene before encountering the deputy? Not a chance.

My understanding of why the shooter didn't get shot by the deputy is that the shooter's pistol malfunctioned after firing four rounds, and he dropped it at that point. He's very lucky the deputy had the presence of mind to recognize that.

I would expect that more charges might be coming once the investigation(s) are completed. For example, any shots that he fired at the deputy that missed him and his vehicle could be charged as Deadly Conduct if they struck any of the buildings of the Gardens apartment complex.
histag10
AG
I wasnt aware of any of those details. Again, until more is released, its really just speculation by 90% of people.
legalbird
Hey, y'all like no cash bail? It might be coming!!! Read about it.

Cash bail system criminalized the poor... as people who unable to afford bail are detained while they await trial for weeks or even months.
FamousAgg
I think the issue is that it take weeks or months to have a trial.
legalbird
Don't care if a bad guy sits in jail for 5 years waiting for a trial.

Release him next day and he will repeat.
BlueMiles
AG
Is there no other information? Known to each other or random?
Ratsa
Well if that's the case, let's just send him straight to jail and not even bother with a trial.
Stupe
S
Ratsa said:

Well if that's the case, let's just send him straight to jail and not even bother with a trial.
If they have committed a violent act, what is the issue in keeping them off of the street until trial?
Ratsa
My issue is thinking it's just fine to make someone wait 5 years for their trial.
instapt
The Fifth, Sixth, and Fourteenth Amendments of the Constitution of United States of America and, more explicitly, Coffin v. United States (1895).
Marlin39m
Part of bail consideration is the threat that the arrested person poses to the community along with the seriousness of the crime. Shooting one person and then shooting at a police officer would make most folks think this is a very dangerous person and it would warrant a much higher bail amount. I don't think the judge considered that.
FamousAgg
It seems there is nothing "speedy" about the justice system.
oklaunion
Marlin39m said:

Part of bail consideration is the threat that the arrested person poses to the community along with the seriousness of the crime. Shooting one person and then shooting at a police officer would make most folks think this is a very dangerous person and it would warrant a much higher bail amount. I don't think the judge considered that.
She stated in the KBTX article why she set it as such and did not mention considering a threat to the public as a reason. Hard to figure.
Stupe
S
Most of the time it's the defense delaying trials, not the prosecution.

That argument holds very little water.
iisanaggie
AG
Unfortunately, there is no speed for the victims getting justice either!
Rapier108
Joshua Wynn is back in jail with additional charges. Bond is now set at $500,000.

Story isn't up on KBTX.com, but was on the 10PM news.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
BaitShack
AG
Update

https://www.kbtx.com/2020/12/03/accused-hensel-park-shooter-indicted-on-multiple-charges/

[url=https://www.kbtx.com/2020/11/03/hensel-park-shooting-facing-new-charges-higher-bond/][/url]
Quote:

Joshua Cyrus Wynn, 22, is indicted on charges of Aggravated Assault Against a Public Servant, Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon, and two counts of Deadly Conduct Discharge Firearm.
legalbird
We need a Texas Prison Work Camp.

75 years is adequate for this offender.
Post removed:
by user
lethalninja
https://www.kbtx.com/2023/05/19/hensel-park-shooting-suspect-pleads-guilty-sentenced-prison/

He got 25 years with parole eligibility after half of his sentence (including credit for time served)
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.