Honest oil change place

4,484 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by histag10
Aggieangler93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My daughter needs an oil change on her CR-V in CS. Can anyone recommend an honest place that won't try to upsell her $1000s of dollars of unneeded stuff?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
ratfacemcdougal
Brazos Valley Automotive on Ponderosa
RPJ83
We use Take 5 Oil Change on Briarcrest in Bryan. They are quick, good price, professional staff and no upselling craziness.
BarbellaKat
AG
I like using Firestone off Texas. They only do what I ask them to and don't try to sell me a bunch of stuff because I'm a woman who is not very educated on cars. The only thing with them is you have get an appointment otherwise you might not see your vehicle till the next day.
doubledog
Texas Oil and Lube. 2209 E William Joel Bryan Pkwy, Bryan, TX 77802

FYI the 19.99 oil change will almost always come with the 10(+) inspection procedure, that is guaranteed to find something wrong with your car. I used to do the 19.99 oil change, listen to the pitch and then tell them I will take these items to my mechanic. I stopped that when I realized that my car was still on the lift (or over the pit) and anything can happen.

BQ_90
AG
i've used Wolf Pen creek forever, get oil change and car wash for reasonable price IMO.
Aggieangler93
AG
Thanks everyone.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
AggieBaseball06
AG
In case someone searches for this thread later-

Superior Auto Service on South College in Bryan.
scd88
AG
Any dealer or Jiffy Lube....

I kid! I kid!
Mike Honcho 85
What about Wal Mart?
Corn Pop
Tommy at Valvoline Express Care on Rock Prairie. Fast and fair
halibut sinclair
I take all of our vehicles to the Quick Lane at College Station Ford. They will sometimes recommend services (brake flush, cooling system, etc.) but they do not push them on you. Ask for Tim - he's a straight-up, honest guy.
AggieBarstool
Buy the filter & oil on your favorite auto shop's website and have her pick it up when ready. Then take the car to Shell Rapid Lube on Texas (near downtown) and have the folks perform the oil change.

I've been doing this for years with ZERO issues. Costs a bit more than one-and-done places, but I get the satisfaction of knowing exactly what's going in my auto. And since it's a dedicated oil change facility, there's no up-selling of BS services. She won't even have to get out of her car.
AggieBarstool
Double post!
Fleen
Take 5 on Briarcrest OR Superior on old college....
cledus6150
AG
Aaron Automotive
InMyOpinion
Aggieangler93 said:

My daughter needs an oil change on her CR-V in CS. Can anyone recommend an honest place that won't try to upsell her $1000s of dollars of unneeded stuff?
My family has dealt with Allen Honda on many occasions over the last 4 years for routine maintenance. Its as simple as saying NO to the upsells/recommendations. Never once had an issue.

My daughter is away at college, also drives a CRV and I have basically told her, take it to the local Honda dealership, ask for an oil change, say no to any suggested items. She will then send me a text or a screen shot of any items they suggest. If I feel they are needed then I tell her to go ahead and have it done (if still there) or plan to take it back (if urgent) or we handle next time she is home.

I use the recommendations to teach my daughter what is needed or not needed so she can handle on her own in the future

Good luck
LOYAL AG
AG
Mike Honcho 85 said:

What about Wal Mart?
I get pretty much all of my work done by Wixon Automotive who is a client of mine. He's never pushed for it but it's a good payback for a very good client.

Anyway earlier this year we got an oil change at Wal Mart because we were overdue and headed out of town. He told me later than WM has the worst record for engine damage from a bad oil change. Their reputation is that of too many mistakes with putting two gaskets in with the new filter, not tightening the drain plug correctly, not enough oil or the wrong oil, etc. Said they are the worst place to go according to the trade info they see. I've had a lot of work done over the years at Firestone in CS and he never said anything bad about them at all even if I was going there instead of using him.
histag10
AG
Aaron Automotive off of Hwy 6. It's a new shop, but he's been working on cars in BCS for quite some time. Great guy, great mechanic, and great prices.

also, dont go to the Take 5 on Southwest Pkwy. They pretty much killed my car.
wasntme
Pilger's on University near Texas.
legalbird
Why would anyone let Wal Mart work on their car?
milner79
BQ_90 said:

i've used Wolf Pen creek forever, get oil change and car wash for reasonable price IMO.
Ask for Kessler.
kyledr04
AG
Christian brothers has always been good
Psychag
AG
Sevciks
MsDoubleD81
AG
Late response but I used Express for oil change and state inspection. They "recommended" new wipers which I knew I needed anyway. I'm 61 and prime target for the unnecessary. Recommend them! In and out in under 30 minutes.
Well, okay then
AG
BQ_90 said:

Myself also, but they have been pushing upselling stuff more lately it seems.
Jinx
Well, okay then said:

BQ_90 said:

Myself also, but they have been pushing upselling stuff more lately it seems.

I used to use them as well. One time, after I'd been going there for years, I stupidly left my birth certificate in a folder in the vehicle. I'd run some errands prior to going and had it with me. It was missing when I got back in my car. After inquiring about it, the guys cleaning it said they hadn't seen it. I thought, maybe a language barrier, so I asked in spanish as well. No idea what I was talking about. The manager then "found it" and gave it to me, said it had been thrown away in the trash by accident. There wasn't a single crease or mark on the thing.

It might have been the truth, but I was doubtful. Never went back after that one.
histag10
AG
They refused to clear my inspection unless I bought new wipers. I took my car elsewhere.
histag10
AG
We still use them for car washes, but we make sure EVERYTHING is out of our vehicles when we bring them in.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Good grief. Wipers are like $15? They didn't refuse, just suggested. Happy they did. My windshield has never been cleaner
histag10
AG
they didnt "suggest" them to me. They told me they could not pass my car's inspection without new wipers. They also said they were sold out of the basic wipers, and I would have to pay for the upgraded ones at roughly $30 each (RainX). I said no, went elsewhere, and my car passed inspection without new wipers.

$60-70 may be just a drop in the hat to you, but it's not for me (and even $30 for many people isnt just something they would agree with take at face value when they know it isnt right)

But sure, think what you want
MsDoubleD81
AG
I knew my car needed them. And they make a huge difference when it rains.

I'm retired, so no, I don't have money outta the wazoo.
histag10
AG
I'm glad you were able to get new wipers that you knew you needed. I knew I didnt need them. I was merely pointing out that they tried to upsell something to me by refusing to pass my car's inspection. I'm hoping that information helps someone else in the future.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.