Hail in Bryan?

11,238 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Caladan
jeremy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got a text from my Sister-in-Law that they're getting hail in Bryan. We're out of town and wanted to check whose getting hail and what part of town. Our house is near Veterans Park.
Slagathor
AG
29th and Carter Creek in Bryan. Lots and lots of hail for about 15-20 minutes now
pacecar02
lotsa hail near villa maria and south college
Old Ag 74
AG
At Southwest Parkway and Texas. High winds, torrential rain, and some light hail so far.
Rapier108
Same along University Drive between Texas and 6. Mostly pea to dime size.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
redd38
AG
I'm near Z Islander and got a little bit of small hail, only about two 30 second bursts of it
Michael Cera Palin
AG
University and Boonville, pea sized hail in spurts for the last 15 minutes
jeremy
AG
Sister in Law is near Villa and wellborn and said the hail stopped. Biggest she saw was 1" in diameter.
Sailor
Hail right now @ Rock Prairie and 6.
FamousAgg
Quarter sized hail recently in Benchley off of HW6 north
ag009
AG
No hail west bryan off leonard.
Belton Ag
AG
We got hit pretty good in the Oaks. Up to about 1.5" or so hailstones.
nickstro66
AG
Got a lot of it near downtown Bryan. Pretty decent size. Nervous to check my truck for damage.
montegobay
We had some pea-sized hail off Barron and Fitch.
trouble
AG
Crazy hail and winds at Villa Maria and Carter Creek.

BrazosDog02
AG
Prepare for the guys in trucks that became roofers today. Yes, I'm a project manager roofer for a Houston based company. Email in profile for verification.

There are SEVERAL legitimate, honest, companies in the area to work with.

So here is how to weed out the fakes and crooks.

Look up the company.

Check google reviews.

Ask for references.

Ask for insurance and worker's compensation documents.

Don't sign anything, make them EARN the business.

READ READ READ all documentation that is thrust into your face.

Don't pay for inspections

Don't pay for anyone wanting to repair unless it's tarping and emergency and you have no choice, still, Don't sign with them in exchange for that service. GET A RECEIPT. This service can be reimbursed through insurance.

No money should be changing any hands until the jobs is absolutely complete and you are pleased.

Any company that's been in business can for the bill for multiple roof jobs, they should have capital for that.

DO NOT ALLOW ANYONE OFFERING TO LAY DEDUCTIBLES ON YOUR ROOF. See link below:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.propertyinsurancecoveragelaw.com/2019/06/articles/state-legislation/no-waving-of-deductibles-bill-texas-hb-1202/amp.html

Don't panic. You have time to breathe and sort things out.

Please excuse typos. This is important to get out now. I'll clean it up later.

These guys will be knocking by this evening and I've worked with many homeowners from the last hail storm that got taken advantage of.
FlyRod
Oh yeah, i remember when the flock of vultures descended after the last bad one. Thanks for posting that!
MiMi
S
Great information!!
bushytailed
AG
29th and Carter Creek

Hail ranged from pea to golf ball size. One broken window on my house. It's a rental but I'm going to tell the landlord that they'll need someone to inspect the roof. A lot of the houses in this neighborhood got new roofs a couple years ago. Looks like they'll be getting new ones again now.
TaxAg16
AG

Hail damage near Texas & Villa Maria.
TxSquarebody
Coulter @ 25th...a lot of hail but no significant damage to vehicles. Very few branches knocked out of trees.
Floor it until you see God
classicdoug
AG
We're already taking calls at Classic Collision. Let me know if y'all want help getting your cars fixed.

Thanks,
Doug
FlyRod
Carter Creek neighborhood. Grape sized hail. No roof or home damage. Garden a near total loss.
trouble
AG
Same with my garden
Builder93
AG
Carter Creek Area. Garden was pounded. Cars seem to have come out ok. That's the longest hail storm I've ever been through. I think our oaks lost a quarter of their leaves.
jeremy
AG
Thanks for the updates and good information about roofs and car work. Sorry about ya'lls gardens and cars!
Ag2Max
AG
Wow EconAg16 that stinks. Sorry you have to go through that. I'm in Sugar Land near Houston and almost pulled my car up on the sidewalk at my office to get under the over hang as hail was headed this way. Luckily it missed us.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
Some decent damage on my cars but nothing that would total them. Will leave the DD as is, but the project car needs to be fixed well. I moved it to my shop parking lot out of the garage it had been for years less than 2 weeks ago. Arg.
Caladan
Thanks for the information! Is there a roofing company in the B/CS area you could recommend?
trouble
AG
At least. My live oak has never been this bare
Dawale
Just hailed again in Bryan.
Mathguy64
AG
I've got ping pong ball sized in copperfield right now.
BrazosDog02
AG
Let me look into it. If I have enough people needing help, then I would drive out and take a look at bunch in a day or two all at once. I live in Hempstead. I have a good friend in Bryan, so I'll be doing his anyway. We serve the state. For us, we carry a couple million dollars in liability insurance, worker's compensation, membership with national roofing contractors association, BBB Accredited with great ratings, and the top certifications for all three major shingle manufacturers, I expect most of this from any reputable company.

TLDR; CLICK LINK, GO TO PAGE 4.

What to look for in a roofing company:

NRCA membership

BBB Accreditation

Liability insurance and worker's compensation

At LEAST one top certification for some major brand of manufacturer (if you want to know why this matters, I will explain in a later post):
GAF=MasterElite
Owens Corning=Platinum Preferred
Certainteed=Select Shinglemaster

REVIEWS - You may not find a small company with THOUSANDS of reviews, but there should be more than a few.

REFERENCES - Ask for previous jobs. They should be able to provide a list of addresses if asked. I provide a list upon request (minus names of course). If someone wants to talk to a homeowner, then I obviously have to get their permission, but I have done it before.

YEARS IN BUSINESS - This is your call. We've been in business for 17 years, so I would say if you can find a company that has been doing this for 10 years, then the odds are they will be in business 5 years from now.

REMEMBER: Roofing company warranties are only as good as the company and only valid while they have a phone and business you can call. That's why the certifications above matter...

Why the certifications matter:

For instance, GAF MasterElite installers can offer what I consider the 'best value' warranty, Silver Pledge. Other manufacturers have comparable versions. So, I, and other MasterElite installers can provide a 10 year labor warranty because of MasterElite status. That is a manufacturer based warranty. If I die tomorrow and the company owners die and everything folds up, the warranty is still backed by the manufacturer because we were Master Elite when we installed it. I've had people tell me their roofer gave them a free 10 year warranty already so they don't need the GAF warranty....but the company they selected had only been in business 3 years. No track record. Might be fine. Might not be fine.

So, use a company that has one of the top certifications for whatever brand you have selected to install.

Also, all of this is not to say a small young company is not great. They all have to start somewhere, but even a small company should have most of the above, and maybe one top certification for whatever brand they have opted to carry. Just make sure they have an address that is at least in this state and that documentation numbers and addresses match the business card the rep is handing out.

HAIL 2.0 LITE - ROUND TWO OF HAIL COMING THROUGH
bushytailed
AG
Round two:
This time it just seems to be pea sized hail.
Carter Creek and 29th
UmustBKidding
Put me on the inspection list
username
at conspiracy
dott
net
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.