Best alternative to Suddenlink internet in CS?

1,187 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by taxpreparer
lastrebel2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They've jacked up my bill twice since Sept (total 46% increase) and never even notify me.

Are there any decent home internet alternatives to these guys inside CS city limits?
BrandoC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
None. Literally none unless you go satellite or streaming. Suddenlink has a monopoly over the area which should be a crime.....
lastrebel2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Couldn't the City Council prevent a monopoly from happening by allowing other cable ISPs?
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
www.asktrim.com got my billed lowered around $30 per month, they get a cut but I don't have deal with those morons. They also negotiated AT&T, DirecTV, so far I've saved $1800 a year.
And I had decent plans from calling and playing the "I'm canceling game" which I hate wasting my time doing.


jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cost prohibitive for a competitor.
dallasiteinsa02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jja79 said:

Cost prohibitive for a competitor.

This is correct. The logistics and costs are absurd to enter the market. Plus, with 10 year breakevens on infrastructure and 5G on the horizon no one with any sanity is entering the market.

The good news is that when 5G becomes common place we should have more competition.
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
lastrebel2000 said:

Couldn't the City Council prevent a monopoly from happening by allowing other cable ISPs?
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

www.asktrim.com got my billed lowered around $30 per month, they get a cut but I don't have deal with those morons. They also negotiated AT&T, DirecTV, so far I've saved $1800 a year.
And I had decent plans from calling and playing the "I'm canceling game" which I hate wasting my time doing.



how does this work. I hate even talking to SL. They drive me BSC every time.....
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Go to asktrim.com
-register
-follow the steps (enter account info for your providers you want them to negotiate with)

done

Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

jja79 said:

Cost prohibitive for a competitor.

This is correct. The logistics and costs are absurd to enter the market. Plus, with 10 year breakevens on infrastructure and 5G on the horizon no one with any sanity is entering the market.

The good news is that when 5G becomes common place we should have more competition.
I guess the question I have about 5G is if the providers are going to throttle back on the bandwidth for things like streaming.

The only reason we have suddenlink is because Verizon won't let us stream more than a certain amount before they lock us down. In our house, the kids are constantly streaming Netflix, Disney and on their tablets... and now doing schoolwork.
gibby03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You knkw I did that on the suggestion of a friend of mine. They actually did save me money after a few snags early on. Believe it or not, SOMEHOW my DirecTV service got cut off. Trim's customer service did a nice job correcting the problem though so I have continued to give them a shot. Right now I'm as low as I think I can be.

And to answer the above questions, basically you fill out the information for your big accounts, TV, internet, cell phone etc and then if they find you a lower monthly rate you pay them a percentage up front. Then your monthly bill decreases for a year usually.
lastrebel2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cavscout96 said:

aggiepaintrain said:

www.asktrim.com got my billed lowered around $30 per month, they get a cut but I don't have deal with those morons. They also negotiated AT&T, DirecTV, so far I've saved $1800 a year.
And I had decent plans from calling and playing the "I'm canceling game" which I hate wasting my time doing.



how does this work. I hate even talking to SL. They drive me BSC every time.....
Apparently you pay Trim 33% of the savings they get for you
dallasiteinsa02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I looked at Trim when they started. Do they still want the 33% projected savings up front? I know they want to be protected in case you disappear after they get you the savings, but that seemed to be a flawed strategy.
lastrebel2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It says upfront
nthomas99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Go find those sweet spots that stay in the school districts (if you care), get cheap BTU power, are outside the city limits, and provide Brazos WiFi. Then move there. Day whatever it is of the quarantine and we had three Zoom sessions going at once today with minimal hiccups. Plus he says he's deploying new hardware this week to compensate. Super solid operation.

Otherwise, Suddenlink and calling in once a year to complain and the agent magically finding "a lower rate code" is standard operating procedure for B/CS. Besides the random price hikes and occasionally spotty support if you have a problem, they really are the best option in town.
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
lastrebel2000 said:

cavscout96 said:

aggiepaintrain said:

www.asktrim.com got my billed lowered around $30 per month, they get a cut but I don't have deal with those morons. They also negotiated AT&T, DirecTV, so far I've saved $1800 a year.
And I had decent plans from calling and playing the "I'm canceling game" which I hate wasting my time doing.



how does this work. I hate even talking to SL. They drive me BSC every time.....
Apparently you pay Trim 33% of the savings they get for you


That's ridiculous. Call each company and ask for retention. Tell them _______ is offering a better deal and you want to cancel. They will give you some good incentives to stick around
BrazosWifi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
nthomas99 said:

Plus he says he's deploying new hardware this week to compensate.


Everything arrived today except the little cables which are being overnighted.

If all goes well, maybe the new hardware will be online by Wednesday!
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
taxpreparer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
lastrebel2000 said:

Couldn't the City Council prevent a monopoly from happening by allowing other cable ISPs?


Who do you think created the monopoly?
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
BrazosWifi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
taxpreparer said:

lastrebel2000 said:

Couldn't the City Council prevent a monopoly from happening by allowing other cable ISPs?


Who do you think created the monopoly?


Like all good monopolies, the federal government.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
dallasiteinsa02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The City of Bryan has a right away agreement with Suddenlink. I have seen others get the same and some have contracts with the city to use their "dark" fiber. The monopoly doesn't exist because of the city. It exists because of the huge costs to deploy services.
Rexter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dallasiteinsa02 said:

The City of Bryan has a right away agreement with Suddenlink. I have seen others get the same and some have contracts with the city to use their "dark" fiber. The monopoly doesn't exist because of the city. It exists because of the huge costs to deploy services.



But there is nothing right away with Suddenlink.
taxpreparer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am an old and remember when we had two cable companies that served both cities. Of course, they only had something like eight to ten total channels available; ABC, CBS, NBC, KAMU, WGN, TBS, HBO and Playboy.

I thought the cities awarded the cable franchises and had agreements in place that basically ensured the monopoly to Suddenlink's predecessors.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
Page 1 of 1
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.