First confirmed case of COVID19 in Brazos County

11,218 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Texker
gigem92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/coronavirus-case-confirmed-in-brazos-county/article_713174f0-6853-11ea-abf9-af32698dc564.html
CS78
Would be interesting to know how it got here.
cz308
CS78 said:

50 - 60K students were just on spring break and no telling how many others were traveling from the area. It was guaranteed to arrive this week or next.
Broncos
cz308 said:

CS78 said:

50 - 60K students were just on spring break and no telling how many others were traveling from the area. It was guaranteed to arrive this week or next.
Not to mention the thousands of people who were just in Houston for the rodeo...
doubledog
cz308 said:

CS78 said:

KBTX claims the 20 year old infected is not associated with TAMU of BLINN.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Brazos-County-Health-District-confirms-first-positive-COVD-19-case-568860231.html
cz308
doubledog said:

cz308 said:

CS78 said:

KBTX claims the 20 year old infected is not associated with TAMU of BLINN.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Brazos-County-Health-District-confirms-first-positive-COVD-19-case-568860231.html

I'm not sure what the point of this statement is. We have plenty of presumptive cases and 1 just confirmed this morning. I still stand by my statement. Just because 1 person who is confirmed isn't associated with TAMU, that doesn't mean that their friend or someone they bumped into at the grocery store who has minimal symptoms isn't.
cavscout96
AG
I think the point was this wasn't a "spring breaker."

That doesn't necessarily invalidate your statement though.
Love Gun
They just said that this female recently returned from Spain and took all the necessary precautions of isolating herself after she developed symptoms.
FlyRod
Its good to know there is testing capability in BCS. This is critical, and I hope we get more clarity on what facilities are testing, and what one has to do to get tested. I keep hearing rumors...Scott & White doing drive through, etc., but no concrete information yet. I hope this changes.

TexasAggie_02
AG
cavscout96 said:

I think the point was this wasn't a "spring breaker."

That doesn't necessarily invalidate your statement though.
This person may have gone overseas, or to the houston rodeo, or gotten it off of a gas pump handle for all we know. That statement basically means that they had not been in any classrooms and are not living on campus. The biggest potential issue is IF she DID NOT travel recently, then that means that she acquired it locally.

EDIT: so she did travel, i did not see the post above
Broncos
FlyRod said:

Its good to know there is testing capability in BCS. This is critical, and I hope we get more clarity on what facilities are testing, and what one has to do to get tested. I keep hearing rumors...Scott & White doing drive through, etc., but no concrete information yet. I hope this changes.

If they openly advertised where was testing people every goober on here would show up to be tested.

If you're truly concerned that you may have it or are exhibiting signs contact your Primary Care Physician via phone. They can guide you on the steps to take.
Broncos
BCHD announced two more confirmed today.
wareagle044
Broncos said:

cavscout96
AG
not surprised
cavscout96
AG
nor panicked
Bunk Moreland
It's not like it wasn't going to happen here. I still think that a lot of us already got it over Dec-Feb and we didn't know. Sadly we probably lost some of the elderly due to it that we didn't know either because they had other conditions they were suffering from.

Don't panic; we'll get through this.
kraut
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

It's not like it wasn't going to happen here. I still think that a lot of us already got it over Dec-Feb and we didn't know. Sadly we probably lost some of the elderly due to it that we didn't know either because they had other conditions they were suffering from.

I actually said that to my wife last night.
Bunk Moreland
I'm in my early 30's and never get sick. I maybe get a cold that turns into bronchitis once every 2 years. Other than that, blessed with no headaches, random fevers, colds etc. Allergies is it.

I got wiped for about 2-3 days in January where I was getting fever chills, dizzy, etc. I would take OTC medicine and it'd keep me somewhat functional. Then with a snap it was gone. Who knows what it was. I'm not saying it was that, but I'm not closing the book on it either. China knew for so much longer than they're telling us. Open travel was happening around the world.
nthomas99
AG
Good, so my wife and I aren't the only ones thinking we might've had it.

Right at Christmas, my fever spiked out of nowhere and I was achy all over. Out of commission 3-4 days and was slow to recover my energy after that. She caught it right as I was getting better, highest fever of her adult life followed by 2 weeks of coughing to recover. Add that to the fact none of my 3 small kids caught it (which never happens with any type of sickness) and flu shots throughout the house, left us scratching out heads last week as typical coronavirus symptoms were described. Who knows.
histag10
AG
kraut said:

Bunk Moreland said:

I actually said that to my wife last night.

I agree with this. I halfway wonder if I had it last month. I had what I believed was a cold that seemed to develop into bronchitis. Inhaler helped, but lord it was hard to breath anytime around a coughing fit. I ran around 103 at night and 101 during the day for 3 or 4 days

I got it from my 4 year old, who got it from daycare. Our 5 month old also had it. Neither of them were as bad as I was
Love Gun
Never know. I'm glad you're better, though
happyinBCS
Something to ponder, I am mid 60's out in San Diego 2 weeks ago, home in CS feel great I had my normal winter cold nothing more. As some have said they probably had THIS before the world identified it We will see as the days go forward in the meantime the local and national economy is crashing God bless us all
MBAR
AG
Broncos said:

Wish we'd get some info on where it came from for them. The case yesterday was a trip to Spain but i'd like to know when we have conformation of local community spread.
AGnBCS
AG
Day after Christmas got a fever lasted 2 days accompanied by a dry raspy cough that lasted a month . It was the weirdest illness I've ever had slow onset then quickly gone aside from the cough and tiredness. I had H1N1 in 09 got it a week after Houston Aramaco Marathon ( I ran the half ) . It hit in a matter of hours one night and kept me in bed for 5 days then on the couch for several more . I know what flu feels like but this thing in December as many have stated felt very different .

Who knows ?
CS78
My family all had the same stuff described above. No major respiratory issues except my 70yo dad who coughed for 2 months.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

I'm in my early 30's and never get sick. I maybe get a cold that turns into bronchitis once every 2 years. Other than that, blessed with no headaches, random fevers, colds etc. Allergies is it.

I got wiped for about 2-3 days in January where I was getting fever chills, dizzy, etc. I would take OTC medicine and it'd keep me somewhat functional. Then with a snap it was gone. Who knows what it was. I'm not saying it was that, but I'm not closing the book on it either. China knew for so much longer than they're telling us. Open travel was happening around the world.
Same story exactly but age 41 and happened mid February. And I will say, for me at least, it had to be that.
Broncos
MBAR said:

Broncos said:

Wish we'd get some info on where it came from for them. The case yesterday was a trip to Spain but i'd like to know when we have conformation of local community spread.

I'm more interested in where these people frequented over the last few weeks. Did they regularly attend a gym? Did they work at a retail store? Were they a ride share driver? Just some basic info about their daily life could help people realize if they've potentially been exposed which would hopefully increase their decision to quarantine. My biggest concern is being asymptomatic and unknowingly spreading it.
OnlyANobody
johnnyblaze36 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Same story exactly but age 41 and happened mid February. And I will say, for me at least, it had to be that.
It would be interesting if they could develop a titer test alongside the positive/negative one to learn who's already developed some immunity. We could then see a more realistic image of how widespread it really was before it was a known condition.

I'm curious how many of our presumed "winter icks" might have actually been this.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Broncos said:

MBAR said:

Broncos said:

I'm more interested in where these people frequented over the last few weeks. Did they regularly attend a gym? Did they work at a retail store? Were they a ride share driver? Just some basic info about their daily life could help people realize if they've potentially been exposed which would hopefully increase their decision to quarantine. My biggest concern is being asymptomatic and unknowingly spreading it.
How would that help? Everybody in society frequents either a gym, a retail store, grabs an uber, hits up a restaurant/bar, or all of the above on a good day.
Broncos
johnnyblaze36 said:

Broncos said:

MBAR said:

Broncos said:

How would that help? Everybody in society frequents either a gym, a retail store, grabs an uber, hits up a restaurant/bar, or all of the above on a good day.

Specifics. Did they regularly attend a certain Golds or TruFit? Did they work at Target? Did they work at Chili's?

I'd rather be aware that info than where it came from.
Oogway
The problem is that once it is in the community and not contained, the idea is that everyone is presumably exposed and therefore a potential carrier. The medical professionals have said this virus is not contained in our country, ergo why they advise the 15 days to 'flatten the curve.' It's a sneaky virus and very effective at spreading since asymptomatic exposure is its apparent toolkit.

I understand that knowing specifics might be helpful in certain cases but at this point, probably less likely as there have been multiple city residents traveling back from countries with outbreaks, major urban areas in the US with outbreaks, and so on.

I'm not a medical professional, but I do know that there were two main flu strains this year and the 'A' strain affected mainly young people and the 'B' strain mainly affected the elderly. The vaccine is around 45-65 percent effective. That doesn't include the nastier rhinoviruses, etc that circulate during our cooler months. When there is an e coli or salmonella outbreak, health experts will often perform the interviews to track the illness such as they did with the listeria outbreak of 2015 but it is not cost effective to do that with every illness as you can imagine. So, unless and until we have tested everyone for antibodies, etc I figure everyone is going to wonder about the 'cold' they had.

For the time being, I am assuming I haven't had it and have been or will be exposed and am limiting my traveling and contact with vulnerable populations. Since all the other reasons people might need to use hospitals: auto accidents, heart attacks, strokes, etc haven't stopped, I'd just as soon not spread contagion that might send someone else there. Eventually, we will all contract it as we have no immunity, but just as the flu sometimes shuts down schools (hey there Caldwell!) to slow spread, slowing the spread of this virus may enable the medical community to handle the patients who become critically ill.

We have diligently supported local establishments and will continue to do so under the guidelines and hopefully we can weather this together. Take care of yourselves!
JaneDoe02
AG
I work on campus and heard this morning that the students that live at Aspire (one of the new high rise apartments on University across from campus) were notified around 3:45 yesterday that someone who lived there had tested positive.

They're not saying for sure whether or not it's an Aggie, but seems pretty likely.
KidDoc
AG
All of the confirmed cases at this point are going to have travel or a known contact or are in the hospital. We are being expressly told to ONLY test those cases.

Also remember this test is not FDA approved. We have no idea what the sensitivity of the test is so expect a random number of false negatives.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rapier108
Quote:

Brazos County
1. Female in her 20s. Returned from Spain. Symptoms are mild and she is isolated at home and doing well. (3/17/20)
2. Male in his 60's who traveled to Colorado. Believed to be travel-related. They are isolated at home. (3/18/2020)
3. Female in her 20's who traveled to New York. Believed to be travel-related. They are isolated at home. (3/18/2020)
4. Female in her 50's who traveled to Colorado. Believed to be travel-related. They are isolated at home. (3/19/2020)
Grimes County
1. Man in his 50s. Traveled outside Grimes County. Upon returning he had no other contact with Grimes County residents.
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Current-numbers-of-positive-cases-in-the-Brazos-Valley-568920891.html

Why would anyone in their right mind have gone to Spain or New York?

And I would take a guess that the two cases connected to Colorado are probably a husband and wife.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
MBAR
AG
Rapier108 said:

Quote:

Brazos County
1. Female in her 20s. Returned from Spain. Symptoms are mild and she is isolated at home and doing well. (3/17/20)
2. Male in his 60's who traveled to Colorado. Believed to be travel-related. They are isolated at home. (3/18/2020)
3. Female in her 20's who traveled to New York. Believed to be travel-related. They are isolated at home. (3/18/2020)
4. Female in her 50's who traveled to Colorado. Believed to be travel-related. They are isolated at home. (3/19/2020)
Grimes County
1. Man in his 50s. Traveled outside Grimes County. Upon returning he had no other contact with Grimes County residents.
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Current-numbers-of-positive-cases-in-the-Brazos-Valley-568920891.html

Why would anyone in their right mind have gone to Spain or New York?

And I would take a guess that the two cases connected to Colorado are probably a husband and wife.

3 weeks ago very few people were taking it seriously. I mean this past weekend people were still telling others to go out and live life normally. Is not shocking people have done just that.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.