Best Mexican Food in Bryan/College Station

16,741 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Esteban du Plantier
Jackson57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Recently moved back into the area and the wife and I are needing opinions on which restaurant might be best

Thanks in advance!

Greg
isitjustme
AG
Whoever I like!! EOT

Be prepared for many responses like that.

We like Cilantro in downtown, La Botana on William J Bryan, and Taqueria El Sol in the Tejas Center. We also like Jose's for classic TexMex and Jesse's and La Familia for breakfast. There are plenty of other great ones, just depends on what you like and how far you want to drive. Ours are all in Bryan.
bushytailed
AG
breakfast tacos: Jesse's

Mexican: El Sol, La Perlita, Jesse's, or pretty much any of the taco trucks in downtown bryan

TexMex: drive to Austin
Love Gun
La Casita in Navasota
cajunken
+1 for Jesse's for breakfast tacos (Bryan). Yole's La Familia is a close second (way south on Wellborn, but worth the drive).
Good news for the rest: if you are not sure how to pronounce the name of the restaurant, there is a really good chance it will be outstanding. Unless there is a "Bell" in its name, pretty much any Mexican restaurant will stand up to any other, in any city, in any country.
michellecan
+2 for Jesse's
jeffk
AG
I like Taco Crave's tacos better than Jesse's.
halibut sinclair
Cilantro
La Botana
Corona's
La Carretta
Papa Perez can be hit or miss
fajitas at Lupe Tortilla
Jackson57
Thank you for the responses!!
jja79
AG
It's simple and basic but the tacos at Taco Bar on Wellborn are money.
88agg
AG
Jose's on Texas Avenue
snaglepuss
Polly's Cocina
SARATOGA
Mexican or Tex- Mex ?

Those are different things.

Personally I think Tex Mex is better as all the ingredients are usually inside the tortilla, and I like cheese & sour cream and guacomole. But your opinions may vary.
AggieRebel
AG
El sol, la caretta and Coronas are all really good
bobinator
AG
The tortas at Raspas El Payasito are money also.
curry97
AG
Cilantro
Coronas
Charli
Jesse's
Papa Perez
La Botana
Mi Pueblito
Cilantro
thann07
AG
What about margaritas specifically?

I'm looking for a place with good (and cheap) margaritas (food doesn't have to be anything above average). Preferably close to Mission Ranch.
halibut sinclair
The only place any where near Mission Ranch is Polly's Cocina. Not sure if they have alcohol. South CS is not exactly the epicenter of good tex-mex in B/CS.

I like the margaritas at Cilantro and Lupe Tortilla, to name a couple.
bobinator
AG
Yeah that's like the worst possible place in town.

Maybe Urban Table makes a good margarita?
thann07
AG
Smells like opportunity to me.
badbilly
AG
Fajitas, my house. Wife makes the tortillas homemade...but it's expensive
BaitShack
AG
Cilantro.
TXAGBQ76
AG
TexMex is always an interesting discussion- almost tougher than politics and religion
Many on here said Cilantro's; maybe it was my taste buds that day but I was not impressed at all- especially with their salsa- which my first go/no-go rating.
AgTrip
I just discovered San Jose's downtown. Had a great lunch there! Food was great! Across from the Sake place
halibut sinclair
AgTrip said:

I just discovered San Jose's downtown. Had a great lunch there! Food was great! Across from the Sake place
Welcome to 20 years ago.
AgTrip
I know...moved back in 96...was shocked I never knew!
cypress-ag
AG
Bringing this back in hopes someone can show me something I'm missing. Since relocating over a year ago we've struggled to find the Friday night go to local Tex mex place. Need my chips, salsa, Rita or beer and a plate of enchiladas and none of the places are hitting home at all. We wind up at Lupes or Gringos but not really mom and pop and don't feel like dropping $70 every time out.

We've tried Papa Perez, Jose's, Casa Rod, Mas Fajitas, Cilantros. Los Cocos I associate with a bad experience back in Cypress with a rat so I may have to try there. Cilantros was about the best but not like my go to place every time. Seems like the mom and pops here stay away from liquor license but have great food but not much else. Breakfast tacos are damn good here and can't complain.

Every 2 miles in NW Houston I can find a good place but not here. I guess I'll accept that as a trade off for living here and escaping Harris County.
MiMi
S
My family usually ends up at Polly's. But we add in Caminos to our rotation. I like their Mole enchiladas and Birria tacos.
halibut sinclair
La Botana
Coronas
El Sol de Mexico
La Familia
Don Chente
Mi Pueblito

La Carreta is re-opening soon.

The Bryan Los Cucos is good. Stay away from the one in CS.
cypress-ag
AG
halibut sinclair said:

La Botana
Coronas
El Sol de Mexico
La Familia
Don Chente
Mi Pueblito

Do all of these do rita's and beer?
13B
cypress-ag said:

Bringing this back in hopes someone can show me something I'm missing. Since relocating over a year ago we've struggled to find the Friday night go to local Tex mex place. Need my chips, salsa, Rita or beer and a plate of enchiladas and none of the places are hitting home at all. We wind up at Lupes or Gringos but not really mom and pop and don't feel like dropping $70 every time out.

We've tried Papa Perez, Jose's, Casa Rod, Mas Fajitas, Cilantros. Los Cocos I associate with a bad experience back in Cypress with a rat so I may have to try there. Cilantros was about the best but not like my go to place every time. Seems like the mom and pops here stay away from liquor license but have great food but not much else. Breakfast tacos are damn good here and can't complain.

Every 2 miles in NW Houston I can find a good place but not here. I guess I'll accept that as a trade off for living here and escaping Harris County.
I like Lupe's
halibut sinclair
cypress-ag said:

halibut sinclair said:

La Botana
Coronas
El Sol de Mexico
La Familia
Don Chente
Mi Pueblito

Do all of these do rita's and beer?

Some do. Coronas and Don Chente for sure. And Los Cucos of course. Not 100% sure on the others.

Also some folks like Restaurant San Jose downtown. I know they have beer. Bring your Spanish translator.

We like the Don Chente on hwy. 21 better than the Villa Maria location.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
cypress-ag said:

I'm from west Texas and have to agree that the Mexican food here is never what I would call "good." It's fine. It's not disgusting. And it's certainly better than anything I've gotten north of Texas, but it's just kind of blah. Also, why would a Mexican restaurant ever serve a dish made with Velveeta? I just remind myself that at least it isn't the crap they serve in Kansas, Iowa, Georgia, or Florida that they pretend is Mexican. And don't get me started on stuff in the north east.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Does anyone around here have good enchiladas topped with chili con carne instead of gravy? I'm from north Texas and never saw gravy until coming here.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.