Two BPD officers injured in accidental gun discharge in police station

3,745 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by techno-ag
FamousAgg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Two-Bryan-police-officers-injured-after-accidental-shooting-568032121.html

More bad news out of BPD. Hope the two injured are ok, they of all people should know how to handle firearms.
Love Gun
WTF is going on with that department?
fixer
anyone know what they are issued?

My guess is its something with a striker-fired action...
saltydog13
AG
probably glock 17
CS78
fixer said:

Glock strikes again. Cue the "my finger is my safety and these guys were obviously idiots" crowd.
fixer
Curious if this is related to the somewhat on going sig 320 debacle...

But yes it would suck if two officers are walking around with Glock leg.

However it would really, really, suck if AD happened in someone's house.
BlueMiles
AG
From the article, "a gun went off." This phrase bothers me as much as "a computer glitch." These things are not sentient.
Love Gun
BPD carries the Glock 21 that fires a 45 ACP round. And, no, Glock's don't accidentally discharge. They are safer than most striker fired handguns out there. I've trusted my life to them for years and carry one in my waistband every day - including right now.

This was a negligent discharge, as in the officer was not handling that weapon correctly.
CS78
Love Gun said:

This was a negligent discharge, as in the officer was not handling that weapon correctly.

99% of accidental discharges are the result of human negligence. That doesn't mean some designs aren't drastically more prone to it than others.
MisterShipWreck
Unfortunately, departments that NEVER had AD's have them fairly often (especially in very large departments) since the push to striker fired handguns. They are much less forgiving that DA/SA guns.

And yes - you can say "the real safety is in your brain" all day long. But the truth is that we all make mistakes all day long. That is what people do. With a gun, the results are much more serious. And, having a lighter trigger increases the risk even more.
AggieBarstool
CS78 said:

fixer said:

Glock strikes again. Cue the "my finger is my safety and these guys were obviously idiots" crowd.
Well, I mean, you're absolutely correct. When you stay aware of muzzle & trigger finger discipline, you have an infinitesimally small chance of a negligent discharge.
AggieBarstool
MisterShipWreck said:

Unfortunately, departments that NEVER had AD's have them fairly often (especially in very large departments) since the push to striker fired handguns. They are much less forgiving that DA/SA guns.

And yes - you can say "the real safety is in your brain" all day long. But the truth is that we all make mistakes all day long. That is what people do. With a gun, the results are much more serious. And, having a lighter trigger increases the risk even more.
There is no such thing as an "AD" (accidental discharge). There are only intended discharges and negligent ones.
fixer
MisterShipWreck said:

This is some good reading right here.

kyledr04
AG

Made me think of that.

Know a few BPD officers. Hope they're ok.
techno-ag
AG
T&P.

Without a safety, Glocks can be dangerous. Hoping for the best for these officers.
Love Gun
techno-ag said:

T&P.

Without a safety, Glocks can be dangerous. Hoping for the best for these officers.

Glocks have 3 internal safeties. This does not include keeping your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire.

It doesn't have an external safety, but a lot of guns don't have them. External safety or not, ALL guns can be dangerous and must be handled safely. To each his own, but I would much rather not have to fumble with disengaging an external safety when my life depends on it.
techno-ag
AG
Love Gun said:

techno-ag said:

T&P.

Glocks have 3 internal safeties. This does not include keeping your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire.

It doesn't have an external safety, but a lot of guns don't have them. External safety or not, ALL guns can be dangerous and must be handled safely. To each his own, but I would much rather not have to fumble with disengaging an external safety when my life depends on it.
And in this case, as with many other incidents, the "internal safeties" failed to prevent the discharge.
cavscout96
AG
My initial thought, since there were multiple injuries, was

"Was this a through and through, single discharge or an automatic weapon, multiple discharge"

If an auto/multiple was it "at" or "in" the police station? The article says at. If it was "in/inside" I would think the autos would be unloaded and cleared before entry as a matter of course.

If outside, maybe they were prepping for or returning from training or an incident.

------------------------------

bigger question: If auto, why? not sure I can fathom a situation where LE needs full auto capability. Even Military units rarely employ personal rifles on anything other than semi.
MisterShipWreck
cavscout96 said:

My initial thought, since there were multiple injuries, was

"Was this a through and through, single discharge or an automatic weapon, multiple discharge"

If an auto/multiple was it "at" or "in" the police station? The article says at. If it was "in/inside" I would think the autos would be unloaded and cleared before entry as a matter of course.

If outside, maybe they were prepping for or returning from training or an incident.

------------------------------

bigger question: If auto, why? not sure I can fathom a situation where LE needs full auto capability. Even Military units rarely employ personal rifles on anything other than semi.

I would swear that I heard on KBTX yesterday that it was a pistol
Love Gun
techno-ag said:

Love Gun said:

techno-ag said:

T&P.

And in this case, as with many other incidents, the "internal safeties" failed to prevent the discharge.

The internal safeties of the Glock disengage whenever the trigger is depressed. In other words, the officer failed to keep his booger hook off of the bang switch.
GSS
techno-ag said:

Love Gun said:

techno-ag said:

T&P.

The "T&P" is nice, but otherwise the ignorance is thick, regarding Glock's (and a few million other similar handguns without a (manual) safety).
NRA Life
TSRA Life
saltydog13
AG
techno-ag said:

Without a safety, Glocks can be dangerous.

cavscout96
AG
Maybe. I haven't heard or read it anywhere.
techno-ag
AG
Love Gun said:

techno-ag said:

Love Gun said:

techno-ag said:

T&P.

The internal safeties of the Glock disengage whenever the trigger is depressed. In other words, the officer failed to keep his booger hook off of the bang switch.
Exactly. Blue star. The "safeties" don't work if you pull the trigger.
techno-ag
AG
saltydog13 said:

techno-ag said:

Glocks don't have safeties. As defined by something you can switch from "fire" to "safe" and prevent the trigger from being pulled. There are other "safeties" but that's not the type we're talking about.

Many many times a LEO has drawn and fired the gun often while still in the holster because Glocks don't have safeties like this. Sounds like that might have occurred in this instance, too.
MisterShipWreck
The body tenses up in stress. It's been proven. I like the added benefit of DA/SA - where the first shot is in DA. Still no safeties to switch on and off. But, it gives you an added margin of safety,

Now, there will be others who disagree with me. But, just my 2 cents
Love Gun
techno-ag said:

saltydog13 said:

techno-ag said:

Glocks don't have safeties. As defined by something you can switch from "fire" to "safe" and prevent the trigger from being pulled. There are other "safeties" but that's not the type we're talking about.

Many many times a LEO has drawn and fired the gun often while still in the holster because Glocks don't have safeties like this. Sounds like that might have occurred in this instance, too.

You are correct. Glocks do not have a thumb safety...

BUT....

That doesn't make them less safe. If an officer fires an accidental shot while drawing from his holster, that sounds like he wasn't properly trained.

https://us.glock.com/en/learn/glock-pistols/safe-action-system
saltydog13
AG
I'm well aware of what a safety is and how glocks work. Pistols without a thumb safety are no less safe than ones with it. My reply was sarcasm as I couldn't believe your statement regarding glocks.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Love Gun said:

BPD carries the Glock 21 that fires a 45 ACP round. And, no, Glock's don't accidentally discharge. They are safer than most striker fired handguns out there. I've trusted my life to them for years and carry one in my waistband every day - including right now.

If there has ever been a legit "user name checks out" moment its now.
techno-ag
AG
I'm a big fan of Glocks, don't get me wrong. I do like the internal protections and the fact you can drop them without a discharge.

However, every year or so it seems you hear on the news a story about a LEO getting excited and firing one off in his holster despite all the training.

That's all I'm saying. Without that safety, as properly defined see above, these "accidents" continue to occur.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.