Big Shots Golf Coming to Bryan

15,316 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by EliteElectric
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
harrierdoc said:

I'd lay odds that it will be out of business by year 5.
It all depends on how big they go, and its overhead. If they go massive, with huge utility bills, big staff, and large open spaces of the facility that rarely get used then yes maybe outa business by year 5. However if they build something more efficient and fitting to the local population then it might have lines out the door every weekend (which would be a good problem to have obviously).
tb9665
What happens in the summer when the population of students go down? For example, the university groups (frats/sororities/professional organizations)?
Broncos
tb9665 said:

What happens in the summer when the population of students go down? For example, the university groups (frats/sororities/professional organizations)?

I'll still frequent the establishment. Probably at an even higher rate.
Brian Alg
dgonzo99 said:

Evidently you have never had experience with how these deals work. That is pretty much a standard deal especially in the retail world. Not goofy at all. This about the same percentage that malls get from the stores along with the rent.
You said that it is common to get a similar percentage "along with rent." From what I have seen, there is no base rent. We will see when we get a copy of the lease, but is it standard to have no base payment or minimum rent?

The first 5 years free bit is another part of the agreement that I suspect is not exactly standard.

Edit: Looks like only the first two years are free. From 6.3.1 of the agreement.

Year 3 - 2%
Year 4 - 4%
Year 5 - 6%

"In no event shall the Percentage Rent due for any Lease Year (beginning in Lease Year 4) be less than the
average of the Percentage Rent payable during the two (2) Lease Years immediately preceding such Lease Year (the 'Minimum Rent'). Notwithstanding this statement, if in Lease Year 8 the Percentage Rent has been more than the Minimum Rent for the prior two (2) Lease Years, than the Minimum Rent obligation is removed for the duration of the Term."
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
JP76
My whole issue with this is why do only a few people get to put the city further in debt 80-100 million when it takes a bond election just to do any school improvements ?

At the end of the day parks lose money. I hope I am wrong but I suspect this new adventure will end up losing a whole lot more than 200k a year like municipal did.

Brian Alg
Just found an agenda item hosted by WTAW using the google. Has a summary worth looking at and also has a link to Bryan's website that has what looks to be a copy of the lease agreement.

The agenda summary

Ground Lease Agreement starts on page 14
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
turfman80
AG
From the Agenda Summary:

BigShots Aggieland anticipates 10-12 full time employees with salaries ranging from $55,000 to $90,000 per year.

Really?
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
techno-ag
AG
turfman80 said:

From the Agenda Summary:

BigShots Aggieland anticipates 10-12 full time employees with salaries ranging from $55,000 to $90,000 per year.

Really?
You'd be surprised what salaries run these days. That's about on par for a set of typical school teachers and a principal.
johnnyblaze36
AG
AC Hopper said:

This is a commercial golf arcade bar, restaurant, and event center

Sounds even better than I initially expected.
AC Hopper
S

Quote:

Sounds even better than I initially expected.
We're very happy for you.
Enjoy yourself.
KC_Ag14
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

BCS residents: There is nothing to do here. It is so boring!
Also BCS residents: Don't do anything to incentivize business to come here.
LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK!!!
aggiepaintrain
AG
I heard this was initially going to be in College Station, let me guess what happened
bryanhome
harrierdoc said:

I'd lay odds that it will be out of business by year 5.
You obviously never been to Top Golf. They have 2 hour waiting list on Friday and Saturday nights. They usually are in the top ten of alcohol sales in the towns they are located.
AC Hopper
S

Quote:

I heard this was initially going to be in College Station, let me guess what happened
I'll guess .......

Planning & Development 86'd the idea before it saw the light of day and recommended a hotel-apartment-chicken place complex instead?
harrierdoc
AG
We aren't a major metro area.
No located in an area that is easy access and heavily travelled.
gus1390
AG
harrierdoc said:

We aren't a major metro area.
No located in an area that is easy access and heavily travelled.
It's literally about 5 minutes straight up Wellborn Rd from the A&M campus. How is that not easy access?
halibut sinclair
Some people want to piss and moan because it's not in the promised land of south CS.
harrierdoc
AG
1. I pay BISD taxes. I care not which municipality it is located. Heck, to me, both cities and school districts should merge and cut overhead a ton.

2. It always amazes me how the golf crowd thinks anything golf related will succeed. I just don't see the draw, desire, nor the money for it to be successful. Correct- I'm not a golfer, so maybe I'm all screwed up and don't know what I'm talking about.
isitjustme
AG
harrierdoc said:

1. I pay BISD taxes. I care not which municipality it is located. Heck, to me, both cities and school districts should merge and cut overhead a ton.

2. It always amazes me how the golf crowd thinks anything golf related will succeed. I just don't see the draw, desire, nor the money for it to be successful. Correct- I'm not a golfer, so maybe I'm all screwed up and don't know what I'm talking about.

I see your points, and I am a former golfer. The reason this will probably work is because of the bar and grill and other games, which will bring in non-golfers with golfers or just people who enjoy whacking a ball as far as they can onto grass. No worries about clearing the water/sand or hooking/slicing into the rough b/c no golf scores are kept. My problem with golf was the last sentence, which is why I'm a former golfer. But I'll probably try it at least once so I can drink, eat, and clobber golf balls.
redd38
AG
Is there going to be free parking?

Has a Topgolf/Big Shots ever closed down except due to a bigger/newer Topgolf/Big Shots?
halibut sinclair
redd38 said:

Is there going to be free parking?
They are going to have a paid parking/shuttle arrangement with Century Square.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Top Golf and this concept are not really for golfers. It is basically the same concept as bowling. Go with a date, group of friends, or family and have a good time. It isn't about skill at all. I'm not a golfer at all and I really enjoy Top Golf.
techno-ag
AG
I don't think they are as location dependant as other places.

Quote:

The next Topgolf location, Dallas, was selected for its connection to golf, a warmer environment, and Fortune 500 companies. With little traffic at any location, Grogan expect to be closed by May 2007. With an energetic Dallas staff in February 2007, Grogan and Main brainstormed a number of low-tech marketing techniques to draw customers as they needed to explain Topgolf like in the UK. After six months, the Dallas facility had a six-hour wait.

Plus, you think about it, that location used to be a golf course and did well for decades. It's convenient to campus.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topgolf
halibut sinclair
jja79
AG
Being a golfer I've never been to Top Golf and I think that's typical. I think this will do well in a big time college town.
gopitt
Huge win for Bryan. This will be a big success for the city. Congrats!
AgDotCom
jja79 said:

Being a golfer I've never been to Top Golf and I think that's typical. I think this will do well in a big time college town.
I fall into this category. I'm a golfer and never planned to darken the door of a Top Golf. No interest in "fake" golf. 6 years ago when I got a well intended Christmas gift certificate from my wife and kids to go to Top Golf in Katy, I kept a straight face, said a fake "thank you" and tried to keep from rolling my eyes. The only good thing about it was my wife and kids would be going with me, something I can't get them to do enough for other things.

Turns out I was dead wrong, we all had a freaking blast. You'd have to pay me to go to a Top Golf by myself. But if my family wants to go? I'm not only in, I'm buying. My wife and kids have played real golf with me and they'd rather dig a ditch, but not with Top Golf.

Also, it's public knowledge the local folks doing this deal have their own land for this site on S. Holleman in CS and had it permitted two or three years ago. Their family has owned the land for 50 years so it's already paid for. Like a few others have speculated, the City of Bryan probably approached them before construction started, not the other way around.

bcstx06
I wonder if this (BigShots) will attract restaurants near by. The city should try to recruit Something like Chicken N Pickle next to this to complement it. Something where people can come in off the street with their dog and play games and eat outdoors.
https://chickennpickle.com/kc/
Captn_Ag05
AG
I think they would like to do something similar to compliment Big Shots. I know officials from the city of Bryan did a site visit with Mutts Cantina in Dallas about bringing the concept to the park. While on that trip, they also visited with people about pickleball, toured the Rustic, and Babe's Chicken.
RPJ83
turfman80 said:

jja79 said:

It's amazing some people don't understand how communities compete for businesses to choose them and the long term economic impact of sales taxes, jobs and likely higher property values.
I understand that, and realize how a venture like this can , if successful, benefit the city through revenues. But I think the fly in the ointment for most who have been posting anti sentiments is that public park land is now going to be used for a commercial interest, especially when many citizens expressed a desire for the land to remain in a natural state.
I would really like to know how many of the people complaining that the land should have remained a park and in it's "natural state", ever actually went to said park. Let's be honest, the place is kind of shady and certainly not a "park" most families are going be having their Sunday picnics at.
techno-ag
AG
RPJ83 said:

turfman80 said:

jja79 said:

It's amazing some people don't understand how communities compete for businesses to choose them and the long term economic impact of sales taxes, jobs and likely higher property values.
I understand that, and realize how a venture like this can , if successful, benefit the city through revenues. But I think the fly in the ointment for most who have been posting anti sentiments is that public park land is now going to be used for a commercial interest, especially when many citizens expressed a desire for the land to remain in a natural state.
I would really like to know how many of the people complaining that the land should have remained a park and in it's "natural state", ever actually went to said park. Let's be honest, the place is kind of shady and certainly not a "park" most families are going be having their Sunday picnics at.
Even better ... It used to be a golf course!
JB!98
AG
EliteElectric said:

Yeah it should be like it used to be where it was 30 bucks to walk around there and 18 bucks for a six pack and 4 bucks for gas station hot dogs (we never cleaned that machine btw which is why none of us ate them). You know free for citizens to use.

Damn it, I cleaned that grill all of the time with Simple Green. That is what gave the hotdogs that industrial flavor that everyone seemed to like. That flavor and maybe stomach cancer.
EliteElectric
Remember the cheeseburger dogs? Good times at the BGC man.
JB!98
AG
Yes sir.
bcschamp365
HUGE WIN for Bryan Midtown as they leverage some private investment and try to bring development into a much needed area of the city.

However, this is NOT a great location for a entertainment venue. A lack of traffic (Hwy 6 or Wellborn Rd) are the only 2 logical choices). This business will depend on spenders from South College Station and travelers too and it is NOT easy to get to.

Big Shots has ONE location that is currently OPEN. This is NOT a track record of success. It is also not a record of development experience in understanding how to build entertainment venues. A Big Shots Golf is not a golf course and will depend on a different skill set to build and operate.

Big Shots Golf has been around for years trying to get started and haven't been able to get off the ground after announcements in Albuquerque and other cities. In January 2019, golf course company ClubCorp bought the majority stake and began selling franchises. A local investor bought the rights to Bryan College Station and looked at a number of locations before deciding on the location in Bryan. The temporary rent relief provided by the city of Bryan must have looked pretty appetizing. The problem is that beginning in year 5 they will be paying a 6% royalty to the city of Bryan on top of a 8% royalty to Big Shots Franchiser Group.

There are several Big Shot's Golf locations in development now. Let's wish these folks success, they are going to need it.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.