Big Shots Golf Coming to Bryan

3,799 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by halibut sinclair
jello123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Bryan-City-Council-making-way-for-BigShots-Golf-at-Regional-Park-567787271.html
AgTrip
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So get rid of the golf course to put up a golf club? They just scored some prime real estate!
johnnyblaze36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So is it essentially an indoor Top Golf? I'd much rather have an outdoor Top Golf but with this being a Club Corp property it should make a nice addition to the city.
AC Hopper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
This is a commercial golf arcade bar, restaurant, and event center -- a private ClubCorp franchise operation that charges $15 to $40 an hour to play. The 52,000 sq ft. facility, of course, will need acreage for a driving range, and parking.
Not sure who has been hoodwinked -- City of Bryan by the franchisee or its residents by city govt.
So long park!
KaneIsAble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To me it's exactly like top golf. It looks like the driving range is covered but your ball would be landing on an outdoor surface.
Broncos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
johnnyblaze36 said:

So is it essentially an indoor Top Golf? I'd much rather have an outdoor Top Golf but with this being a Club Corp property it should make a nice addition to the city.
No, it's the same covered tee box area as top golf with an open range. Essentially a Top Golf but the range area and ball tracking are different.
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG


From their Vero Beach location. As you can see, it is a very similar setup to that of Top Golf. The Vero Beach location appears to also have a miniature golf course as part of the development. Not sure if the Bryan location will, but that would be nice as well.
Gigem314
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Love this idea. It casts a wider net for getting people in there than a typical driving range.

My little one is getting close to the age where I'd like to introduce him to the game. Having something like this would make it more fun for him try out.

I would definitely be making use of a place like this.
agnerd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will Bryan residents get to use the facility for free since it's being built on their park land? If not, can I get a similar deal to build a house on free city property if I promise to pay property tax? I wouldn't mind getting a few free acres too.
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will your house generate 120-150 jobs? How much sales tax are you expecting to generate?
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BCS residents: There is nothing to do here. It is so boring!
Also BCS residents: Don't do anything to incentivize business to come here.
Broncos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Captn_Ag05 said:

BCS residents: There is nothing to do here. It is so boring!
Also BCS residents: Don't do anything to incentivize business to come here.
95_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BCS residents: We need more retail and restaurants. It is so boring!

Also BCS residents: Don't you dare make us pay to park.
rocketscience
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agnerd said:

Will Bryan residents get to use the facility for free since it's being built on their park land? If not, can I get a similar deal to build a house on free city property if I promise to pay property tax? I wouldn't mind getting a few free acres too.
The company will pay 6% of its gross revenue to the city beginning in year 5 so it isn't exactly free property. The 6% of annual gross revenue will be payment for the land lease.
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's amazing some people don't understand how communities compete for businesses to choose them and the long term economic impact of sales taxes, jobs and likely higher property values.
turfman80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jja79 said:

It's amazing some people don't understand how communities compete for businesses to choose them and the long term economic impact of sales taxes, jobs and likely higher property values.
I understand that, and realize how a venture like this can , if successful, benefit the city through revenues. But I think the fly in the ointment for most who have been posting anti sentiments is that public park land is now going to be used for a commercial interest, especially when many citizens expressed a desire for the land to remain in a natural state.
"Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a pretty cool hand"
EliteElectric
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah it should be like it used to be where it was 30 bucks to walk around there and 18 bucks for a six pack and 4 bucks for gas station hot dogs (we never cleaned that machine btw which is why none of us ate them). You know free for citizens to use.
www.elitellp.net
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is probably the best solution for the property. To bad COB did not clean up that lake when they had the money from Elf Atochem to do so.

https://www.insitebrazosvalley.com/lifestyle/food-fun/the-rehabilitation-of-bryan-municipal-lake-from-past-anxiety-to-future-analysis/
KorbinDallas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
turfman80 said:

jja79 said:

It's amazing some people don't understand how communities compete for businesses to choose them and the long term economic impact of sales taxes, jobs and likely higher property values.
I understand that, and realize how a venture like this can , if successful, benefit the city through revenues. But I think the fly in the ointment for most who have been posting anti sentiments is that public park land is now going to be used for a commercial interest, especially when many citizens expressed a desire for the land to remain in a natural state.
Wasn't it's natural state a golf course? Also it looks like they are building an amphitheater, are you opposed to that? Also from the story it's going into the corner by the railroad overpass. Not sure that's prime real estate
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So many little whiny *****es that think they know better than anyone else. Run for office and make a change - if you even live in Bryan.
turfman80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
halibut sinclair said:

So many little whiny *****es that think they know better than anyone else. Run for office and make a change - if you even live in Bryan.
So the only way people who have reservations is to run for office? What happened to citizens input to make their voices heard through the media or their representatives, if in any case their representatives shared their point of view? So if they are not in a position to run they are SOL?
"Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a pretty cool hand"
turfman80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BQ_90 said:

turfman80 said:

jja79 said:

It's amazing some people don't understand how communities compete for businesses to choose them and the long term economic impact of sales taxes, jobs and likely higher property values.
I understand that, and realize how a venture like this can , if successful, benefit the city through revenues. But I think the fly in the ointment for most who have been posting anti sentiments is that public park land is now going to be used for a commercial interest, especially when many citizens expressed a desire for the land to remain in a natural state.
Wasn't it's natural state a golf course? Also it looks like they are building an amphitheater, are you opposed to that? Also from the story it's going into the corner by the railroad overpass. Not sure that's prime real estate
So you are saying that a multi story / restaurant/ amphitheater/ party gathering/ golf driving game area qualifies as a nature area? And I simply stated that is the reason many citizens are upset with the entire situation. Why are you ramping up the discussion?
"Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a pretty cool hand"
Expert Analysis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Many citizens also don't care about some grass by railroad tracks and a major highway and would rather see that spaces used to generate money to help pay for the rest of the grass that you want to keep.
davido
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
News flash, it's nothing but a natural area now and practically nobody uses it. It's a ghost town there.
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
turfman80 said:

BQ_90 said:

turfman80 said:

jja79 said:

It's amazing some people don't understand how communities compete for businesses to choose them and the long term economic impact of sales taxes, jobs and likely higher property values.
I understand that, and realize how a venture like this can , if successful, benefit the city through revenues. But I think the fly in the ointment for most who have been posting anti sentiments is that public park land is now going to be used for a commercial interest, especially when many citizens expressed a desire for the land to remain in a natural state.
Wasn't it's natural state a golf course? Also it looks like they are building an amphitheater, are you opposed to that? Also from the story it's going into the corner by the railroad overpass. Not sure that's prime real estate
So you are saying that a multi story / restaurant/ amphitheater/ party gathering/ golf driving game area qualifies as a nature area? And I simply stated that is the reason many citizens are upset with the entire situation. Why are you ramping up the discussion?
I never said the development was a nature area. It's an old golf course. The proposed development doesn't change that. They are putting this in the worst part of the park. And there still is large park area left.

Again are you opposed to the amphitheater? That isn't a nature area is it?
turfman80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was a private enterprise such as this ever presented to the citizens as a proper use of former park property? As presented, it appears the city was supposed to build and operate an indoor facility to host mega volleyball/basketball tournaments, with profits showing up a few years after operation. If a commercial operation such as Big Shots was part of the original plan, I must have missed it. Again, I can see the long term benefits in terms of tax revenues, but the handling of it in terms addressing concerns of citizens was ham handed at best.
"Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a pretty cool hand"
harrierdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd lay odds that it will be out of business by year 5.
australopithecus robustus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
User name check out
Brian Alg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Was a private enterprise such as this ever presented to the citizens as a proper use of former park property? As presented, it appears the city was supposed to build and operate an indoor facility to host mega volleyball/basketball tournaments

The city has had this in the plans for a while. But they may not have made it super public. See the map on page 26. It is also supposed to have a hotel.
Bryan Regional Park - Indoor | Five-Year Operating Pro Forma | June 2019 | With final construction costs page and duplicate "Total Revenue & Expenses - Indoor Facility" page

Quote:

with profits showing up a few years after operation.

The indoor facility facility is not supposed to make any money. Even using their numbers (which have a lot of iffy accounting), all-in it is supposed to be losing the city over $1.5MM per year.
https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3089611/1
Brian Alg

Brazos Valley Coalition for Responsible Government
rocketscience
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
harrierdoc said:

I'd lay odds that it will be out of business by year 5.
Not so sure about that. There's a lot of university groups (frats/sororities/professional organizations) that I'm sure will keep them afloat. You may be right but I hope you're dead wrong.
Brian Alg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They are scheduled to get hit with a 6% cut from their gross in year 5. I would not be surprised if BigShots will have a strong case to make when they go to renegotiate and say that the new fee will put them under.

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/bryan-city-council-approves-plans-for-golf-complex-at-regional/article_eb473f82-4d5e-11ea-9d52-33828fd44f31.html

This seems like a very goofy deal, but I would have to see the lease to be sure.

From what I have seen so far: give Big Shots free use of the land for five years. After that, BigShots gets the option to continue using the space (for the price of 6% of their gross) if that works in BigShot's favor. Of course, BigShots will probably renegotiate if they are not making a ton of money at that point because the city's only leverage would be to take over a single purpose white elephant of a building. And the city pays BigShots $100k.

Hopefully there are details in the lease (e.g., guaranteed money after year 5 in case BigShots is not successful). Does anyone have a link to the full lease?

Edit: I just asked and the city secretary does not have a link to the full lease yet.
Brian Alg

Brazos Valley Coalition for Responsible Government
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If I were them, I would make friends with all the tournaments that come to town (7 on 7, softball, etc. etc.) and do events for those teams that are visiting during the summer.
dgonzo99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Alg said:

They are scheduled to get hit with a 6% cut from their gross in year 5. I would not be surprised if BigShots will have a strong case to make when they go to renegotiate and say that the new fee will put them under.

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/bryan-city-council-approves-plans-for-golf-complex-at-regional/article_eb473f82-4d5e-11ea-9d52-33828fd44f31.html

This seems like a very goofy deal, but I would have to see the lease to be sure.

From what I have seen so far: give Big Shots free use of the land for five years. After that, BigShots gets the option to continue using the space (for the price of 6% of their gross) if that works in BigShot's favor. Of course, BigShots will probably renegotiate if they are not making a ton of money at that point because the city's only leverage would be to take over a single purpose white elephant of a building. And the city pays BigShots $100k.

Hopefully there are details in the lease (e.g., guaranteed money after year 5 in case BigShots is not successful). Does anyone have a link to the full lease
Evidently you have never had experience with how these deals work. That is pretty much a standard deal especially in the retail world. Not goofy at all. This about the same percentage that malls get from the stores along with the rent.
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Win, win, win. Great day for Bryan.
Page 1 of 2
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.