welder / fabricator

1,046 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by jhermon
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need to repair the yoke for my shredder tail wheel. Anyone no a good shop in BCS?
samsal75
AG
Brazos Industries off Shiloh in Bryan.
coleasterling
AG
2nd Brazos Industries. If they can't do it on your timeline, shoot me an email. User @gmail
maddiedou
AG
Cole. I have seen you reapond to a couple of welding post

What kind of welding do you do
maddiedou
coleasterling
AG
We're basically freelance mechanical engineers that do product design work and have a CNC machine shop in Bryan. We don't really do much general fab work, but always happy to help a fellow Ag out if they can't find someone more suitable.

To answer the question directly, we have an aluminum mig push pull setup on a Miller 350p, steel mig on a Miller 251, and generic tig on a Miller Synchrowave 250 with a watercooled torch. We're not professional welders by any means, but do all our own work unless it is a really large welding job, which we typically have Brazos Industries do.
BCStalk
That's an interesting thing to have. I've been in the industry for 17 years and you don't see a lot of it anymore. What is your machining capacity and what software do y'all use for designing?
cavscout96
AG
Thanks for the rec's everyone!
coleasterling
AG
It is definitely interesting! We've done design projects ranging from lab equipment for testing polymers, to subsea buoys, to titanium brake and suspension parts for cars worth double my house, to a machine that sanitizes chicken eggs of all things. For design work and CAM programming, we use SolidWorks and HSM SW plugins. If I have to do any FEA work, we have a license to a sort of simplified version of a NASTRAN solver. We also have our 01 FFL and do the maintenance on the field guns for A&M. We don't really have a focus other than to be great problem solvers in general, haha.

On the manufacturing side, we take whatever comes in that we feel we can effectively do, so it varies a lot. We've done work in A LOT of industries. Up until today (sold a machine and it is being rigged out today), we had four CNC's. Our big boy is a 3-axis, 50 taper, 60x30x30 VMC that weighs 33klbs. My goto machine every day is a 4-axis Okuma 4020 VMC, and our goto lathe is a 3-axis Doosan Puma 240 with live tooling. The one being rigged out today is a 2-axis 14" turning center. Support equipment for the CNC's includes the welding setup, a super flat, foot thick, 4x8 Newport optics table we use for precise layout work when necessary, a 50's era DoAll surface grinder, a couple manual lathes, and an absolutely awesome manual mill (Sharp VH3, will never buy a Bridgeport after running it).

In terms of experience, we've existed as a company coming up 6 years and my partner and I worked as the lead design and manufacturing engineers for a company here in town that built high-end aftermarket parts for Ducati, MV, and Aprilia bikes for several years before that. We love doing exotic projects and machining on stuff like Ti's, 7068, inconels, etc...I also have a huge interest in EV's, so our main focus other than the contract design and manufacturing is development of more sustainable EV drive systems.

Hope that answers your questions with enough detail, haha!

Edit: forgot the chickens!
BCStalk
Very cool. We have a VH3 and it's a beast of a mill. We do all our designs and shop drawings in SW. I work for a decent size job shop in Caldwell with everything from a CAT50 open machine with 120"x36"x36 of travel to a 5 axis rotary tilt mill. Definitely just a cool industry to be in.
coleasterling
AG
Nice!! What kind of work do y'all mostly do? We work with APF fairly often. Used delivering parts as an excuse to go to Herbert's before they moved again, darn them.
maddiedou
AG
Well I think you are over qualified for my fireplace assembly outside Although you may only be the one qualified or that can make my idea work. I think I have a pretty cool idea but I need a somebody that can make it work I think this thread has got of topic so I may start a new one
maddiedou
BCStalk
We do a lot of power plant maintenance. We do some work for APF and use them pretty often for laser work. Definitely would like to talk with you. Might be able to use your services in the future. Shoot me an email at Robert at Bwmservices dot cc.
jhermon
BCStalk said:

Very cool. We have a VH3 and it's a beast of a mill. We do all our designs and shop drawings in SW. I work for a decent size job shop in Caldwell with everything from a CAT50 open machine with 120"x36"x36 of travel to a 5 axis rotary tilt mill. Definitely just a cool industry to be in.
I will have to second this, it is a very cool industry to be in. I started as a machinist years ago and it has been a great career.
coleasterling
AG
I love it! Especially being close to A&M, we get something new and innovative regularly. We've done some minor design and some significant machine and fab work for one of the world's largest FDM-style 3D printers, helped a MEEN undergrad last year with a design for a new tourniquet he developed for easier combat use, worked with many different FSAE teams, and of course the cannon stuff which is super cool. We're very lucky in that we were able to really diversify our operation before fracking died in '14. We started the company doing 10" victaulic fittings for coupling layflat hose. Did A LOT of those for a year and a half, then nothing. Been stressful at times, but well worth it.
jhermon
Diversification is the key to survival in our area. I am glad to hear that you were able to do so prior to the collapse and not be dependent on the energy sector. I am not a day to day machinist anymore and have the luxury of visiting shops throughout the country and I am fortunate to get to see amazing parts and equally amazing technology daily. The materials, tooling and software have come such a long ways in the past 20 years, it is hard to remember writing programs by hand and using high speed steel end mills!
coleasterling
AG
What kind of work did you used to do, and what do you do now? Sounds pretty cool!
Hammerheadjim
AG
Core Industries
Ask for Miles.
He is one of my Machine shop technicians and handles all of our welding projects. He has his own company and loves to do small odd and end jobs all the way to structural steel.

core.cmw@gmail.com
Walk softly and carry a big stick! Make sure the big stick makes big boom noises and flashy bright lights.
oldag76
AG
Barlcustomwelding@gmail.com
Lance- has a truck mounted machine. Built and installed my gate. Off duty fireman. Very dependable and fairly priced,
jhermon
I started off in a shop from the ground floor up, running and learning manual lathes, mills, press brakes, etc. Did a lot of fab work and tig welding as well, all part time while going to college. Dropped out due to needing to put diapers on kids and having the chance to grow in the trade. Learned to program CNC lathes by reading the Fanuc manuals and started focusing on opportunities machining completion tools. Once productive, we bought CNC Mills and I was able to learn them and started growing from there. When I left the shop. we had grown to have 22 CNC machines and I programmed each and was manager for the shop.

Opportunity came along to work as an Application Engineer at a Machine Tool Distributor and train people how to operate the new equipment that we sold as well as do some turn-key projects. This led to a move into sales in 2010 and I have had some success, basically due to my hands-on experience. I now manage our sales team as well as our Applications Department. We represent Japanese, German and Spanish builders and have machines throughout the country and the world, primarily at companies focused on oil-field manufacturing.

Sorry for the long-winded biography, but, in a nutshell, it has been a great career and I have no regrets. Hard work and excelling at a trade can take you a long way. Easy to get passionate about a trade that requires perfection!
Page 1 of 1

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.