Disappointment with Discount Tire

13,823 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by IWannaGoFast1
TellMeMore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Simple
Just go to House of Tires. Done. Honest and fast.
dubi
AG
histag10 said:

I like Discount. But they got my tpms sensors mixed up when i last bought tires and they cant seem to figure out how to switch the tires so they are correct.

That and they always try to rip women off/upsell things. If I call and they tell me something ridiculous, I have my husband call about 20 minutes later. 9 times out of 10 he gets a different answer/price
I've never had that problem. They price match so i search the specific tire price online, then print it and bring it into the store with me.

Quicker Sticker is my nemesis!
nthomas99
AG
dubi said:

histag10 said:

I like Discount. But they got my tpms sensors mixed up when i last bought tires and they cant seem to figure out how to switch the tires so they are correct.

That and they always try to rip women off/upsell things. If I call and they tell me something ridiculous, I have my husband call about 20 minutes later. 9 times out of 10 he gets a different answer/price
I've never had that problem. They price match so i search the specific tire price online, then print it and bring it into the store with me.

I tried to do the price match thing at Towerpoint (TireRack, which they said over phone they would match) a couple of years ago, only to have the salesman come out from behind the counter, square up in front of me, and yell at me that he couldn't do that as it would eat all of his quota of allowed adjustments for the rest of the month.

It's one of the more surreal and unprofessional experiences I've had in my life. I mean if you can't match the deal, fine, just say so; but he literally tried to intimidate me into buying it. I'm sure there's some good people there, but no business should tolerate that.

Happy to drive right past them to the Bryan location (who have been super friendly and honest) every time I need tires now. After that experience, I doubt I'd ever ask my wife to step foot inside the Towerpoint location.
histag10
AG
dubi said:

histag10 said:

They tried to convince me that my tires arent normal tires, and are specific to my type of car and no other car uses them, so they are special order and the cheapest ones they can get start at 300 each. Bull ***** I drive a Chevy Traverse. Husband called. Tires in stock and start at around 130 each.
CN
My experience with the TP location is this: if you've got a nail in a tire with no road hazard insurance, the tire is unrepairable. If you've got road hazard insurance, they'll find a way to patch it. But I go there because it's so darn convenient. I used to go to the Texas Avenue location and I never had an issue with them plugging up a tire.
Texker
AG
The kid had a flat tire yesterday so after AAA put on the spare I directed them to go to Discount Tire on TX Ave S. In and out in a little over an hour and no charge for the repair.
woodiewood1
I have used them for years but the same thing happened to my wife. Need one tire, said all four need replacement. She called me and I told the DT guy, just replace one today and we will do the others later. I then took the suv to Sevciks and the guy said that we probably had 10,000 or more miles on all three.

I have used DT for about 10 years or more and will continue as I have always had great service, but the upsell methods are irritating.

EBrazosAg
AG
Was that Tower Point or somewhere else ? The locations are often (if not always) franchises so there can be different owner/operators. At least that's what I have been told.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Picked up a nail in my left rear tire. Went to Discount Tire on Texas this morning. They patched me up and had me out of there in under an hour. Courteous service, didn't try to charge me or sell me anything. Same great service I've come to expect from them.
Clucky
You were told wrong- they are not franchises.
Also, the salesmen don't get any commission, so there's not much incentive to upsell,. but I'm sure it happens.

I worked there eons ago when I was in college, back when we didn't have to put a tire in a cage to air it up.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.