Daycare/ Preschool

3,427 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TexasAggie_02
kevmiller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking at some options for our 2 year old and 4 year old.
Anyone have any experience with St Joseph Eagles nest?
I see they have some pretty bad reviews online.. just seeing if anyone has direct experience with them recently.

TIA
Esteban du Plantier
AG
With so many good options, why even consider a poorly reviewed daycare?
kevmiller
Haha.. because I don't put much stock into online reviews.
You have no idea where they came from or who wrote them.

That's why seeing if anyone has direct experience with them
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Southwood Learning and Montessori
RPJ83
We loved our experience with Bethel Lutheran Preschool.
Law361
AG
Allen Academy preschool is unbelievable. Best money we ever spent.
girlmom3
+1 for Bethel Lutheran Preschool. Amazing teachers, facility, and mission.
BCSMom
Longmire Learning Center is awesome! My niece goes there and she loves it!
firefly1204
If you are looking for a great Mother's Day Out, 1st Baptist College Station is very good and they take both of those ages. For a "real" preschool, I highly recommend St. Thomas Early Learning Center (Episcopal) on George Bush, across from A&M (it's not the Catholic St. Thomas Aquinas). They have been in operation for over 50 years and have a wonderful, developmental program and their outdoor space is better than anything in this area, and I looked at a lot. They do not take 2 year olds though, and many times they are full, due to their wonderful program. They have classes for 3 year olds, 4 year olds, and a private Kindergarten.

I have heard good things about Stepping Stones. I have heard mixed reviews from people I know about St. Joseph's.

gibby03
AG
We have put both our kids into Traditions Montessori School over by College Station HS. Would HIGHLY recommend that place. Full day place that follows the CSISD school calendar. I know they were looking into bringing in the age group your 2 year old would fall into but your 4 year old would be good. I think their only hold up is they have to be potty trained.

Anyway, they are the same price as a daycare and the Pre-K teachers are awesome.
summergal
Weekday School at A&M United Methodist Church. Been in operation for over 40 years and they accept 2-year-old's. Great staff, and they feed you breakfast, lunch and snacks. There is a wait list. https://www.am-umc.org/weekday-school
waltonloads11
AG
Does location matter? Are you open to all of BCS or a specific location close to work or your home?

I would recommend touring all the daycares available at your desired location area and make your choice based on your interaction with them.

My interaction with St Joseph is, based on years ago, I wouldn't recommend it. They do have a new director, new pastor, consolidated two campus into one, and moved the preschool to under the private school and not part of the daycare. Things have definitely changed and if the negative reviews are from years ago, I wouldn't put too much focus on it without touring it first.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
We've been very happy with Prodigy Learning Center...
histag10
AG
I looked at their state citations when deciding on a daycare for my kid. I would suggest doing the same. See what St. Joseph's has out there, and then make a decision. At least state citations are not biased online reviews.
JR Ewing
AG
Holy Cross Preschool is excellent, but they may already be full for next year.
justalocal
+1 for Holy Cross.

On that same note, the person that started the Holy Cross program started the Bethel Lutheran program, so I'd imagine there are a number of similarities in the actual program.
Its Not Rocket Surgery
AG
I'll chime in as we have a child at Eagles Nest. We chose it primarily for the convenient hours (they open early and close at 6:00p), proximity to work, reasonable cost, and we received several several word of mouth recommendations from people we trust. We also did a few walkthroughs on our own at different hours. A few years in I'd say we've had a mostly good experience.

They have suffered some recent caregiver/teacher attrition due to low pay, and I'd say this is the biggest thing we've monitored as of late. It hasn't affected the quality of care from the staff in place, but it is concerning. A few of the online comments mentioned the Principal as not being polite and I could see where that comes from. She is not a warm and fuzzy person on the surface, but she absolutely cares for the kids. I've walked in several times and seen her tenderly cradling a newborn in her arms after hours. Most of the staff is very friendly. As for the rest, my honest pros/cons are below:

Pros
  • Good value, convenience
  • Quality of care seems good and caregivers have a great attitude toward the children
  • Good security in place. Staff takes the time to get to know the parents
  • Great library facility and good learning activities for the kids including "career days"
  • Kids are always engaged and active. A great mix of activities, play, and learning
  • Environment is highly structured which little ones definitely need
  • Great mixture of kids/parents from all walks of life. Diverse student body
  • My kiddo loves going to school every day, and has grown up with a group of friends they adore

Cons
  • Staff pay is poor and has led to turnover, that seems to have picked up recently. They have lost some really good instructors recently. You can tell this is a source of frustration for some. Stability for instructors for the older kids has held steady but I'd be lying if I said we didn't have concerns over the long-term trajectory of care or perhaps solvency of the school?
  • Facility is old, technology is outdated, and I'm sure the curriculum is no where as advanced as places like Prodigy or Primrose
  • Smarter/Advanced kids may get bored due to not being challenged
  • We have noticed a discipline problem with one student that has not been dealt with as proactively as we would like to see. Has frustrated several parents.

So, in all I'd say it has been a mostly positive experience with a few rough edges. There isn't anything I would see that would prevent me from enrolling a newborn there, but there are also nicer, (much) more expensive, and arguably "better" options in the area.
lifeincartoonmotion
AG
Another suggestion for Prodigy. They are really awesome!
foo00
AG
Another big +1 for Prodigy Learning Center. Ingrid, Andie, et al are amazing and my kids love it there. After 3 other schools with my oldest, it was Prodigy that was finally able (or willing) to take the time with him to let him succeed.
LocalAg12
AG
Our two girls have go to St. Anthony's KIDS in downtown Bryan. They both love it there. They do a great job of always keeping the parents well informed. I have also been very impressed by how they have been so caring to my girls.
TexasAggie_02
AG
kevmiller said:

Haha.. because I don't put much stock into online reviews.
You have no idea where they came from or who wrote them.

That's why seeing if anyone has direct experience with them
Doesn't trust anonymous online reviews, asks for more anonymous online reviews.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.