Where did these kids get their facts about The City of Bryan from?

7,723 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aggie_Boomin 21
bcstx06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
halibut sinclair
Too long didn't watch. What's the problem?
bcstx06
It's just an overall bad video about the City of Bryan. They basically called Bryan the poorest city in America.

They also say Bryan is "currently" located in Brazos County (like it can move).

Bryan was named after William Joel Bryan a "former" nephew of Steven F Austin (how can you lose nephew status?).

Bryan is in the "shadows" of College Station.

Bryan has a diverse community including "races" such as Alaska Natives, Hawaiian.....(Don't you mean ethnicities???)

What High Speed Rail are they talking about? Because the one that I know about won't be coming through Brazos County anymore.

There is more but I won't go on. I know some on here will get mad at me and say they are just students or point out some grammar that I used incorrectly, idk. If you are smart enough to go to TAMU, you should've had others look at it before you post it.

Captn_Ag05
AG
It looked to me like they were advocating for a rail station in Bryan as part of their class project. They listed it as a recommendation at the end.
isitjustme
AG
It got worse as it went along. The economics facts were particularly bad.

On the upside, all of these kids will likely be city planners and MPO directors within 5-8 years.
Oogway
Trimmed down curricula nationwide has resulted in less Comm/Speech 101 and it shows.
Carny89
Send this video to the appraisal district.
FamousAgg
This is kind of embarrassing for A&M, I hope these are freshmen or something. They should flunk out of urban planning.

I too didn't realize Bryan was the poorest city in the US. I wonder where they got a an average income of $117k? Kind of sad that these kids are that out of touch with reality.
Maedan86
AG
Are these high school or college students?
Maedan86
PS3D
bcstx06 said:

It's just an overall bad video about the City of Bryan.
[...]

Not everyone is a cheerleader for Bryan like you are. If you look at the economical changes of the two cities in the last 10 years, it's not even close.

Bryan: Gained a new Walmart and a few more restaurants on the east side (none unique to the area), as well as the Stella hotel. One of the H-E-B stores was rebuilt. Swapped out a grocery store for an Aldi and a trampoline park. A few restaurants were built on the freeway that were new to the area (Hooters, Freddy's)
College Station: Lost three supermarkets (Kroger and two Albertsons, though two thirds of those stores are no longer vacant) and a department store (Sears), but gained an expanded Walmart, two large shopping centers anchored by H-E-B with restaurants (including many new to the market), gained a Lowe's, gained everything at Century Square, gained numerous hotels, gained a full hospital.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Seems like a project in which they're advocating for the construction of a high speed rail.

Also pretty sure they're Blinn students
halibut sinclair
PS3D said:

bcstx06 said:

It's just an overall bad video about the City of Bryan.
[...]

Not everyone is a cheerleader for Bryan like you are. If you look at the economical changes of the two cities in the last 10 years, it's not even close.

Bryan: Gained a new Walmart and a few more restaurants on the east side (none unique to the area), as well as the Stella hotel. One of the H-E-B stores was rebuilt. Swapped out a grocery store for an Aldi and a trampoline park. A few restaurants were built on the freeway that were new to the area (Hooters, Freddy's)
College Station: Lost three supermarkets (Kroger and two Albertsons, though two thirds of those stores are no longer vacant) and a department store (Sears), but gained an expanded Walmart, two large shopping centers anchored by H-E-B with restaurants (including many new to the market), gained a Lowe's, gained everything at Century Square, gained numerous hotels, gained a full hospital.

PS3D needs to look in the phone book for the 2 new huge residential/retail developments on the east side of Bryan, the Target center, the continuing growth of downtown, new hotels on the bypass, the continuing growth of Austin's Colony, Greenbrier and the new development on Old Reliance, just to name a few. That "gained a new Walmart" you refer to is a large commercial development that will continue to grow as more rooftops show up on the west side. New residential development is going in on Villa Maria, as well. Cheers to Bryan!
rsa
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

Seems like a project in which they're advocating for the construction of a high speed rail.

Also pretty sure they're Blinn students
From the Youtube post:

URPN 202-501 Group 21 Presentation

Spring 2019 . . .

URPN 202 is a TAMU course:

URPN 202 Building Better Cities
Credits 3. 3 Lecture Hours.
Determinants of land use patterns; classification of uses; idealized conceptual alternatives; location and size criteria; mapping; comprehensive planning process, relationship to circulation planning.
FamousAgg
That's interesting rsa. Not a great look for 2nd year Aggie students. I thought about watching some of the other videos on that YouTube channel, but I didn't want to subject myself to that.
PS3D
halibut sinclair said:

...the 2 new huge residential/retail developments on the east side of Bryan, the Target center, the continuing growth of downtown, new hotels on the bypass, the continuing growth of Austin's Colony, Greenbrier and the new development on Old Reliance, just to name a few. That "gained a new Walmart" you refer to is a large commercial development that will continue to grow as more rooftops show up on the west side. New residential development is going in on Villa Maria, as well. Cheers to Bryan!

Ad hominem slam on me aside, I didn't name subdivisions because College Station has grown more than Bryan in terms of new growth, and the Target center is well over 10 years old (only about 50,000 square feet of retail has been added to the center proper).
halibut sinclair
PS3D said:

halibut sinclair said:

...the 2 new huge residential/retail developments on the east side of Bryan, the Target center, the continuing growth of downtown, new hotels on the bypass, the continuing growth of Austin's Colony, Greenbrier and the new development on Old Reliance, just to name a few. That "gained a new Walmart" you refer to is a large commercial development that will continue to grow as more rooftops show up on the west side. New residential development is going in on Villa Maria, as well. Cheers to Bryan!

Ad hominem slam on me aside, I didn't name subdivisions because College Station has grown more than Bryan in terms of new growth, and the Target center is well over 10 years old (only about 50,000 square feet of retail has been added to the center proper).
So take those 2 away if you must - Bryan is still experiencing nice growth. Not to mention the mid-town redevelopment and super park on the way. Target opened in 2008, so it's a little over 10 years old, not "well over". I count 15-16 stores in that center with little empty space.

Here's a question for you - why wouldn't you be a cheerleader for Bryan? Growth in both cities benefits residents of both cities. While I am not a fan of the south CS resident mentality, I certainly don't begrudge CS any new business that comes their way.
TexasAggie_02
AG
lol.

"Only 30% of residents voted in the 2016 election. That means that 70% did not vote"

I found the math major.
agnerd
AG
This is what happens when:
1. You let the top 10% in regardless of how bad their SAT scores are
2. The number one aspiration among today's youth is to be a youtube star.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Well that's disappointing
Birddog
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

lol.

"Only 30% of residents voted in the 2016 election. That means that 70% did not vote"

I found the math major.
Also said 65% are renters and 35% have a mortgage. Then what percentage live in a home that has no mortgage? like me.
WTM
I have not watched the video and will be the first to admit that Bryan had more middle income housing growth taking place than College Station right now BUT.. they are correct about Bryan being in the shadow of College Station.

When I graduated High School in the early 90's Bryan had about 15,000 more residents. Now College Station is over Bryan by 30,000 and that does not include all of the college students. Taxable value for property tax rolls, College Station is around 9.4 Billion. Twice the 4.7 Billion of Bryan. Sales Tax revenues and HOT taxes are almost 4 times higher in College Station. College Station schools are funded at almost $2000 per student higher than Bryan. Outside of the area, everyone know where College Station is. Bryan gets you blank looks. This is why so many businesses use "College Station X" even when in Bryan City limits.

I love Bryan, have lived here almost all of my life, and chose it over College Station when I moved back, but Bryan is most definitely in the shadow of College Station.
halibut sinclair
WTM said:

I have not watched the video and will be the first to admit that Bryan had more middle income housing growth taking place than College Station right now BUT.. they are correct about Bryan being in the shadow of College Station.

When I graduated High School in the early 90's Bryan had about 15,000 more residents. Now College Station is over Bryan by 30,000 and that does not include all of the college students. Taxable value for property tax rolls, College Station is around 9.4 Billion. Twice the 4.7 Billion of Bryan. Sales Tax revenues and HOT taxes are almost 4 times higher in College Station. College Station schools are funded at almost $2000 per student higher than Bryan. Outside of the area, everyone know where College Station is. Bryan gets you blank looks. This is why so many businesses use "College Station X" even when in Bryan City limits.

I love Bryan, have lived here almost all of my life, and chose it over College Station when I moved back, but Bryan is most definitely in the shadow of College Station.
Only if you are talking about competition between the 2 cities. Bryan has it's own identity and history that you and I and many others are very proud of and doesn't need to be considered in any other city's "shadow".
Captn_Ag05
AG
College Station may be hot right now and has been for the past several years, but five years from now, Bryan may have the hot section of the community. We all benefit by working together to attract industrial, commercial and retail development.
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
One of my friends is in that video...and another guy in that video shares the same name as me. Weird

Y'all need to relax. If we are being completely honest, they probably did not need to report completely accurate notes. What tends to happen nowadays is that they use information that they find, and cite the source, which seems to be good enough for most teachers. Is it a good idea? Probably not. Is it reality? Yes.

They aren't making videos to impress a bunch of randoms on TexAgs. Y'all can chill
FamousAgg
The Good Aggieboy19 said:

If we are being completely honest, they probably did not need to report completely accurate notes. What tends to happen nowadays is that they use information that they find, and cite the source, which seems to be good enough for most teachers.

TIL accurate facts aren't important, got it.
Lone Stranger
Sounds like the fake news generation......facts aren't important as long as the message is woke enough.

isitjustme
AG
WTM said:

When I graduated High School in the early 90's Bryan had about 15,000 more residents. Now College Station is over Bryan by 30,000 and that does not include all of the college students.
To correct a very common population misperception: most of the college students in both cities are included in population estimates. That is part of the reason that while the median household income in Bryan is just under $39,000, the median income in CS has s just over $39,000.

So, 2017 census estimates show CS with 107,447 people and Bryan with 81,734, or a difference of 25,713. But, the dispersion tells the story. While Bryan has higher populations in each age grouping for under 15 and over 34, CS has 31,873 more in the 15-24 range - 46,908 to 15,035. Netting out about 3,000 high school students each, that means 42,908 mostly college students in CS compared to about 12,035 mostly college students in Bryan.

So, if you were to not include college students in either population count, Bryan would have about 6,000 more people than CS. But since college students do live here, and for the better part of 9 months each year, CS has the higher population.
cslifer
What line of work are you in where you can turn in a report that has questionable numbers and it is ok as long as you cite the source? When you get a grown up job you will learn that isn't reality as you as earlier.
BQ_90
AG
cslifer said:

What line of work are you in where you can turn in a report that has questionable numbers and it is ok as long as you cite the source? When you get a grown up job you will learn that isn't reality as you as earlier.

Politician
Oogway
Does anyone else find it rather odd that these days there are people who will quote every sports axiom out there about hard work, character, grit, and how you should never half *ss a workout because "even if you don't think the coach (or anyone) is watching, it still shows" can not see the pretense when they don't apply that attitude toward their rather expensive education?

I'm sure I didn't always put forth my best effort in some classes, but I sure wouldn't have put it on the internet.

It sort of reminds me of the "okay" commercial.
gibby03
AG
I'm really surprised this hasn't turned into a more power play discussion where Bryan gets totally raked across the coals about how "crappy" it is and how great College Station is.

When I was a student here at A&M it was no secret that going to the "rough" parts of Bryan would cause you a lot of heartache. But now that I live in Bryan, and enjoy my lower taxes, lower electric bills and sky rocketing house values, along with never having a single incident in terms of criminal activity near where I live, I can honestly say most of that "perception" of Bryan is WAAAAAY off.

Kudos to those who have spoken so far and not let it deteriorate into the usual Bryan vs CS dialogue yet.
Oogway
Well, that sort of discussion wouldn't be very constructive so no need to let it go down that path.
gibby03
AG
Agreed.
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
KorbinDallas said:

The Good Aggieboy19 said:

If we are being completely honest, they probably did not need to report completely accurate notes. What tends to happen nowadays is that they use information that they find, and cite the source, which seems to be good enough for most teachers.

TIL accurate facts aren't important, got it.

In school these days on a report like this, that is for the most part true. Take it how you want it but I explained that above! Stop reaching for blue stars please
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
cslifer said:

I'm not suggesting that it is right. I acknowledged that in my post. I am just telling y'all what reality is in most classes these days. It is unfortunate, but true. Class doesn't work like the real world
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.