Data Might Show Little Impact to Shipley Do-nuts After Krispy Kreme Opening

datageek
How long do you want to ignore this user?

April 16th, 2019 Krispy Kreme opened with lots of visitors. Many wondered if the four stores of Shipley's would see any changes. So far only the Southwest Parkway showed a temporary drop in traffic and rebounded. It seems there is plenty of room for Krispy Kreme to join in on the donut fun.

Check out the foot traffic here: https://cl.ly/7d13fd3aa616
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's because Krispy Kreme isn't fit to hold a candle to the jockstrap of one iota of the wonderfulness that is Shipley's. Or something.
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's not close to us and we prefer Shipley. Maybe if it was a complete unknown, we would have gone by there by now.
australopithecus robustus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Halibut, respectfully. I sure don't want to start something. But, there is no dimension or time that exists that a fresh and hot Shipley's even enters into the same realm of a fresh and hot Krispy Kreme. Shipley's is a fine, cute little donut for the uninitiated. But we are initiated, aren't we?
australopithecus robustus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's all about the texture and the thick, lucious coating of sugar. The Krispy Kreme is an aficionado's donut. The Shipley's is an obligatory sugar sponge for the commoner.
AggieBaseball06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Donut fans throughout history and their preferred donut...

Shipley: George HW Bush, SEAL Chris Kyle, Audie Murphy, Miss Rev

Krispy Kreme: Hitler, Pol Pot, Jerry Sandusky, that guy who tried to burn the American flag at Dodger stadium
australopithecus robustus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That list means nothing and even if accurate it's somewhat based on geographical basis.
saltydog13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Shipley's around here have about a 80/20 bread to sausage ratio for their pigs in a blanket. No thanks.
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
no one beats a hot Krispy Kreme and these in College Station are the best I've had from any KK and they know how to present a proper hot donut, you have to ask Shipley to lay face up otherwise they are gooey stuck together mess.
95_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

The Shipley's around here have about a 80/20 bread to sausage ratio for their pigs in a blanket.
Sometimes it takes 5 or 6 bites just to get to the "sausage". Definitely not for the carb-phobic.
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Get the Big Earl instead.
AggiePhil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As someone who lived many years without a Shipley in sight, I found them irresistible. KK is *almost* in the same category for me.
saltydog13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oh I'm definitely not carb phobic, just more of a meat eater. The jumbo pigs in a blanket at the donut place by the 2818 Walmart are a good choice
saltydog13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
trouble said:

Get the Big Earl instead.

I had to look that up. I didn't know that was a thing
EMY92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The hot glazed donuts from Krispy Kreme are awesome.

That's about it in my opinion. I don't care for their other donuts. Even the glazed, once cold, are mediocre.
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
saltydog13 said:

trouble said:

Get the Big Earl instead.

I had to look that up. I didn't know that was a thing


It's delicious.
75AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can eat a dozen hot Shipley's plain glazed and still want more.

One Kripsy (yes, that's how it's pronounced over in Mississippi) and I'm done.

Shipley's wins 12-1.
australopithecus robustus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Krispy Kreme glazed are worthless if cold, yes. Fresh they're are heavenly. Shipley's are pretty good fresh. Cold they're edible.

There's something to be said about operations and sanitation as well. Those other aspects make Krispy Kreme far and away the leader.

What's funny is I've yet to eat at the local KK waiting for things to slow down, as well as watching my waistline. Shipley's is 1 min from my house and KK is 10. I will drive past Shipley's every time to get a KK.
AggieBarstool
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The ability to act like a pig is a descriptor of the quality of a donut? Lol ok.
Heismenberg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm sorry but hot donuts suck!
lost my dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
datageek said:


April 16th, 2019 Krispy Kreme opened with lots of visitors. Many wondered if the four stores of Shipley's would see any changes. So far only the Southwest Parkway showed a temporary drop in traffic and rebounded. It seems there is plenty of room for Krispy Kreme to join in on the donut fun.

Check out the foot traffic here: https://cl.ly/7d13fd3aa616
So I regularly get Google asking me to rate my transaction at a business which is next to the business I actually patronized. Geolocation is not perfect. How do you account for this in your analyses?
datageek
How long do you want to ignore this user?
lost my dog said:

datageek said:


April 16th, 2019 Krispy Kreme opened with lots of visitors. Many wondered if the four stores of Shipley's would see any changes. So far only the Southwest Parkway showed a temporary drop in traffic and rebounded. It seems there is plenty of room for Krispy Kreme to join in on the donut fun.

Check out the foot traffic here: https://cl.ly/7d13fd3aa616
So I regularly get Google asking me to rate my transaction at a business which is next to the business I actually patronized. Geolocation is not perfect. How do you account for this in your analyses?
As an imperial skeptic, I was highly unsure of the accuracy of the data sources at first. I started by pulling data from public events where the headcount was already well documented (stadium events). Next, I pulled foot traffic for restaurants where they tracked all reservations and had them compare their data to what I had, and finally the same thing with restaurant/retail where the volume was low to test the lower bounds of the data.

Not all locations are we able to purchase foot traffic data. For accurate foot traffic information, data is needed and collected from WiFi, GPS, Beacons, and even user motion. Panel biases are modeled and accounted for in extrapolations. If there isn't enough 3rd party data to put it all together and make it statistically significant, we can't show anything meaningful.
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trouble said:

Get the Big Earl instead.
Does the Greens Prairie shipleys have these? All Ive ever seen are the basic over breaded sausage or ham.
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not sure. I always go to the Villa Maria store because it's less than 5 minutes from my house.
cz308
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Finally got around to trying them and I'm not that impressed with the glazed donuts from Krispy. Their filled donuts are pretty good, but that's it.
Fonzie Scheme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fresh, warm doughnuts from just about any place are hard to beat. But, I might mow down one of my kids for a Shipley chocolate-filled.
newsjunkie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shipleys is far and away a much better donut than KK. That said, Dunkin' Donuts (which I have been promised and has still to materialize!) is far and away much better than Shipleys.

And I have over half a century of donut eating experience
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sorry many Krispy Kreme customers will not eat at Shipleys (too sugary or something like that). These customers are mainly "immigrants" to College Station who know what a good doughnut should taste like.
ajolly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shipleys on Uvalde Rd and the East Freeway in Houston is and always will be the best shipley's. Havent found a shipley's who does it better than them.
AggieBaseball06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ajolly said:

Shipleys on Uvalde Rd and the East Freeway in Houston is and always will be the best shipley's. Havent found a shipley's who does it better than them.


Jsimonds58
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heismenberg said:

I'm sorry but hot donuts suck!
FLAGGED
studioone
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Mmmmmmm........ Donuts....


I dont want to be cremated.. I just want to be glazed.....
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
75AG said:

I can eat a dozen hot Shipley's plain glazed and still want more.

One Kripsy (yes, that's how it's pronounced over in Mississippi) and I'm done.

Shipley's wins 12-1.
Sounds like a good Krispy Kreme donut satiates while you can eat a dozen lesser donuts and never feel happy.
txyaloo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
newsjunkie said:

Shipleys is far and away a much better donut than KK. That said, Dunkin' Donuts (which I have been promised and has still to materialize!) is far and away much better than Shipleys.

And I have over half a century of donut eating experience
Dunkin may have been good 50 years ago, but they're gross today. There's a reason they didn't previously make it in the Texas market.

Who wants to eat frozen donuts trucked in from a central distribution center in a different state? Give me something fresh made locally
75AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PS3D said:

75AG said:

I can eat a dozen hot Shipley's plain glazed and still want more.

One Kripsy (yes, that's how it's pronounced over in Mississippi) and I'm done.

Shipley's wins 12-1.
Sounds like a good Krispy Kreme donut satiates while you can eat a dozen lesser donuts and never feel happy.
One Kripsy will give you the sugar diebeatus. But damn, that one is really, really good.
Page 1 of 2
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.